Announcing the F-4 Phantom for DCS World!

Cobra847

On 1/4/2023 at 9:54 PM, SgtPappy said:

It would be pretty close to the Rivet Haste birds that showed up right at the end of 1972 though right?

Except without TISEO. Not sure about the other internals guts/systems.

Sorry to pick up the old post, just for interest i could finde a anwser so far . From what i read the F-4E from the "Rivet Haste" programm arrived in Nov 1972 in asia.

Did have allready features like DSCG and the AN/ALR 46 RWR installed what the HB Aircraft get? Or did this stuff first emerge after the War? 

Seem's like they testing lot of Stuff Laser LGB Bombs and Pave Knife Pods, but seems was not common Aircraft before the end of the War only for individuell squadrons that was either Strike or Air superiorty?

Edited by MAD-MM

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

2 hours ago, MAD-MM said:

Sorry to pick up the old post, just for interest i could finde a anwser so far . From what i read the F-4E from the "Rivet Haste" programm arrived in Nov 1972 in asia.

Did have allready features like DSCG and the AN/ALR 46 RWR installed what the HB Aircraft get? Or did this stuff first emerge after the War? 

Seem's like they testing lot of Stuff Laser LGB Bombs and Pave Knife Pods, but seems was not common Aircraft before the end of the War only for individuell squadrons that was either Strike or Air superiorty?

The Rivet Haste F-4E's were I believe 24 block 48 aircraft that joined a new 555th TFS (to the chagrin of the original 555th TFS) with TISEO, and with AGM-65 capability (and therefore DSCG). They had the ALR-36/37 and a bit more than half had the Combat Tree IFF system. 

They would have had Pave Knife carrying capability but I don't think they got to use it. They flew a bunch of A2G sorties before the US reached a cease-fire with North Vietnam in Jan 1973 despite having their aircrews trained in fixed crew pairs with a stress on air superiority missions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 8:16 AM, Omega417 said:

Im onboard for an RF-4C. It would give me a mission that a solo phantom can excel at. Or an RF-101, because that would probably also mean i get an F-101.

I don't know if we'd ever get an F-101B Voodoo interceptor.  It might be cool, but I don't know much about its capabilities.  To stray off (recce) topic a bit: A set of ADC interceptors in DCS would be fun in specialized missions to intercept bombers...F-86D Sabre-Dog, CF-100 Canuck, F-101B Voodoo, F-102A Delta Dagger, F-106A Delta Dart, F4D-1 (F-6A) Skyray.  But the RF-101C Voodoo could be the "supersonic" recce bird in DCS.  Or the RA-5C Vigilante would be even more cool.  But those are all new airframes in DCS.  Lots of development.  Would I buy them?  Hell, yeah!  The RF-4B or C would have a lot in common with the F-4E and might be easier/faster to produce...and probably highest speed of them all.  Supposedly, the F-8J Crusader is going to be developed one day (or is in development)?  Maybe they can also do the RF-8G?

Then how to employ aerial photo-reconnaissance in missions and campaigns in DCS.  When you snap recce photos in quick succession, you should get sets of stereo pairs...high resolution 3D-images for those of us with VR goggles!  That might make it easier to find enemy assets on the DCS battlefields.

• Like 1

An RF-4 would offer tremendouns recce-capabilities, much beyond just visual optics - she's also capable of IR and SLAR recce. The RF-4 is very close (and possibly even a good deal better) than the RF-5. Both the RF-101 and RF-8 are down to visual-optical recce with limited night-capability.

I'm in with the ADC birds and the F4D-1, which wasn't ADC, but still had at least one squadron under NORAD - VF(AW)-3.

Douglas_F4D-1_VF(AW)-3_in_flight_over_Sa

• Like 3

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2023 at 10:32 PM, Andrew8604 said:

I don't know if we'd ever get an F-101B Voodoo interceptor.  It might be cool, but I don't know much about its capabilities….

In summary, it performed like a bigger F-104. The ADC Voodoo used a Hughes MG-13/AIM-4 combination. Minimum range of 3 miles & max range of six, utilizing a computer calculated intercept and launch system. Against non-maneuvering targets like bombers and BOMARC SAMs it worked pretty well, but it performed abysmally against maneuvering targets.That would kill the missiles reputation in Vietnam after it was klidged onto the F-4D. 

The F-101s Achilles heel was pitch up caused by fuselage drag & unstable airflow over the tail. At high altitude this limited the aircraft to less available G than a B-52. Not a big concern for the interceptor role, but lacking cannons maneuvering against a fighter was off the table. I’d certainly like to see it come to DCS, because many interceptor scenarios are fairly challenging and real life crews pulled off some cool stuff like going from the alert ramp to taking off and intercepting a Tu-95 at altitude in less than five minutes. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Derbyblue said:

Any news?

Inquiring minds need to know 😬

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but last night I was reading the current PC Pilot, in which they said that Heatblur had announced the early access release of the F-4E phantom! At first I thought they had simply worded it wrong, by mistake, but no - they seemed to be implying that one could buy it now!

Wonder if they'll clear that up in the next issue....

Of course, by then it may well be accurate!

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

32 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but last night I was reading the current PC Pilot, in which they said that Heatblur had announced the early access release of the F-4E phantom! At first I thought they had simply worded it wrong, by mistake, but no - they seemed to be implying that one could buy it now!

Wonder if they'll clear that up in the next issue....

Of course, by then it may well be accurate!

You CAN buy it now! I bought it Nov 4th! 

DCS: F-4E Phantom II (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lobo_63 said:

You CAN buy it now! I bought it Nov 4th! 

Indeed, I bought it a while ago - however it has not been released. I checked the article again last night to check I had my facts straight and they clearly state that the module was released.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

HB said they'd feel sure about a 2022 release, which didn't happen and now are aiming for a 2023 release.

What do you think, is it realistic to start the hypetrain for this evenings update?

As it appears to be: no (sadly)

Edited by Ben149

3 hours ago, Ben149 said:

HB said they'd feel sure about a 2022 release, which didn't happen and now are aiming for a 2023 release.

What do you think, is it realistic to start the hypetrain for this evenings update?

As it appears to be: no (sadly)

Well , It wont make this "Winter" either. There are too many factors why it wont make a March release I see . Which is only 4 months away. Everyone keeps speculating and believing the "Winter" release but a lot of statements made by the team working on it throw even that in doubt so I do not believe it will make it. I have said maybe a June or July release but I would not at all be surprised if it is this time next year before it comes out. HB has given zero confidence in their divination abilities and they should have just said it will be out when its done and they should have made no claims of a date until they where actually done with almost zero chance of a delay...Just my opinion on the subject. They actually made 3 predictions of a release before the "This Winter" release announcement but in a statement I saw last night they seem not confident in that.

Edited by Manhorne

52 minutes ago, Manhorne said:

Well , It wont make this "Winter" either. There are too many factors why it wont make a March release I see . Which is only 4 months away. Everyone keeps speculating and believing the "Winter" release but a lot of statements made by the team working on it throw even that in doubt so I do not believe it will make it. I have said maybe a June or July release but I would not at all be surprised if it is this time next year before it comes out. HB has given zero confidence in their divination abilities and they should have just said it will be out when its done and they should have made no claims of a date until they where actually done with almost zero chance of a delay...Just my opinion on the subject. They actually made 3 predictions of a release before the "This Winter" release announcement but in a statement I saw last night they seem not confident in that.

Wow. Love how your accusations of speculative release dates are completely derived from your own equally speculative opinions. #irony!

The F-4 will release when it's ready. You seem to forget that these digital products are the result of many hard hours of toil by real people; those people have lives, lives are complicated and timescales slip thanks to the unexpected. 

Dude, get a grip, enjoy the festive season for what it is and quit being such a moaning minnie.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Wow. Love how your accusations of speculative release dates are completely derived from your own equally speculative opinions. #irony!

The F-4 will release when it's ready. You seem to forget that these digital products are the result of many hard hours of toil by real people; those people have lives, lives are complicated and timescales slip thanks to the unexpected. 

Dude, get a grip, enjoy the festive season for what it is and quit being such a moaning minnie.

I see no irony in his statement educate me ?  

• Like 1

• ED Team

Folks, you all have different opinions and that is fine, I will remind everyone to keep to our forum rules which can be found at the top of the page, keep feedback constructive and civil. 

When we have a date to share for the F-4 we will share it with you all. 

Have a good new year 

thanks

bignewy
Associate producer
Eagle Dynamics 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2