Opening day activities

davidrbarnette

Configure Warthog & try my basic playstation as part of the WAS. Have read the manual....probably need to read it another 50 times to sink in, but the tutorial videos make more sense after the manual. 

No cold start, get the controls mapped and try take off, nap of the earth local flight. Sadly I had an accident/fall a couple of days back and my throttle hand is bruised and painful, so I might need some beers anyway. Never been on a server but an earlier post where everyone else will be as hopeless as me sounds good fun. But to inflict a one armed noob on the others seems a bad idea. But whatever happens, I'll enjoy it!

5 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

Anyone have a plan for the first day of flying? Mine:

- Execute the cold start procedure a few times. 

- Learn and understand the symbology on the HDU / IHADDS; do some basic practice navigating the MFDs.

- Get comfortable with day taxiing, takeoff, landing, hovering, all the basic phases of flight. 

- Depending on how that goes, maybe do some night flying as well. 

- Maybe spend 5 minutes firing off the gun & rockets if I'm feeling ambitious.

Davidrbarnette, thanks for starting the thread, nice to see none of us grew up and we can still have fun!

• Like 1

Setup my HOTAS properly, learn cold start up procedure, take off and perform a free flight in order to getting use to how it feels in flight.

1 hour ago, epoch said:

Drinking beer and flying a virtual multi-million dollar aircraft.

Awesome!

Edited by elchacal

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

looking and enjoying the detailed graphics

• Like 2

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

7 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

Set up controllers and take a beer ;).

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

1 hour ago, flyingscotsman said:

Davidrbarnette, thanks for starting the thread, nice to see none of us grew up and we can still have fun!

I still haven't grown up indeed. 🙂  

With the impending launch of the AH-64, it's crazy to think about the changes in flight simming over the years. I started flying with Falcon 2, Strike Eagle III, moved on to Falcon 3 and Fleet Defender, and finally Janes Longbow & Longbow 2 (along with a few WWII sims like Aces Over Europe). I was 14 when Longbow came out, and 14 year old me would never believe how things would change with modern sims like DCS (especially combined with VR). All that sim flying made it a piece of cake to get my real pilots license, but I still love being able to hop into a badass machine like an AH-64 from the comfort of my home.

Looking forward to the launch tomorrow.

• Like 1

- Day one : Bind axes and try to fly in a started engines mission.

-Day Two to at least day twenty : trying to bind controls to feel comfortable with them

* intering : trying to fly the beast , up down and land

- Day twenty  to the end of my life : fighting with keybinds and controls and loving the module I hope

• Like 1

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

17 minutes ago, davidrbarnette said:

I still haven't grown up indeed. 🙂  

lol. air start at 200 knots and learn to do a loop. 😉 

seriously first day will be listening to my conscience saying "another module?"

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I have a shooting gallery I've used for years with the KA50 where I have about 40 fuel trucks in about a 2sq mile area surrounded by maybe 6-8 AAA...  I'll see how much better the Apache is at the stick and jab CQ "float like a butterfly" approach :)...

I suspect with the MUCH larger range of motion of the main gun it will be "quite fun" 🙂

Edited by M1Combat
  • Like 2

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

9 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

- Execute the cold start procedure a few times. 

- Learn and understand the symbology on the HDU / IHADDS; do some basic practice navigating the MFDs.

- Get comfortable with day taxiing, takeoff, landing, hovering, all the basic phases of flight. 

- Depending on how that goes, maybe do some night flying as well. 

- Maybe spend 5 minutes firing off the gun & rockets if I'm feeling ambitious.

That's almost exactly how I approach new modules.  I dont think I can fit all of that in day 1 but sure will do my best.  I am so excited!!  Hope to see you all up there soon!

• Like 1

Heck I said first I would learn the cold start procedure, forgot before that I will want to get all my controllers set up. That may be a day in and of itself. Oh well I am just looking forward to having it on my system.

• Like 3

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Fly around. Crash a bunch of times. Get shot down. Come back and blame ED.

This is the way. 

• Like 5

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

Dang there's some good ones in here.  I do prefer to start at dawn though...  BUT...  this bird has NVG chops so...  Maybe dusk is the new way 😉

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I plan on taking off and finding the limits of the rotor, and engines, do some bump mast exercises, just see how far I can push it before it starts coming apart while empty, then load some weapons on it and find what the limits are with weight on. By then it will be bed time for me.

• Like 1

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals