Boresighting IHADSS in VR

RealDCSpilot

5 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

It’s been a while since I flew the Apache, just re scanned this thread, so this is only an issue if you cold start the Helicopter, yes? Also, this only an issue in VR, correct?

You will have the issue when you do boresight in VR. As this is a boring task, you should have only with cold start.

Two issues :

bad head position especially for CPG, so you can not align circle and IHADSS pointer without moving default pov reference, not a big deal to me.

when diplaying IHADSS in both eyes, you can not align IHADSS pointer and circle center, you will see two pointers (one for each eye) so you need to put them at equal horizontal distance of circle center but on same height. Not very accurate. If you align only one pointer for one eye, you won't have a good targeting when aiming a distant point.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Excellent, thanks! Hot starts for me for now then!

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

So I wasn't having too much trouble with boresighting, until I tried night flying and turned on the IHADDS in BOTH eyes because the FLIR in one eye only was driving me nuts.  I quickly discovered that with IHADDS in both eyes, there is no way to boresight worth crap.  I tried closing one eye and that still doesn't work.  I used to be pretty close, now it hits WAY off to the side.   Any more progress on the proper way to do this???  

MD

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

Appearance of the alignment rings in the boresight unit has changed for me in today‘s patch. This is in VR.

Does anybody noticed this, too? I didn‘t find something about it in the actual patch list.

• Like 1

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

14 hours ago, Mad Dog 762 said:

So I wasn't having too much trouble with boresighting, until I tried night flying and turned on the IHADDS in BOTH eyes because the FLIR in one eye only was driving me nuts.  I quickly discovered that with IHADDS in both eyes, there is no way to boresight worth crap.  I tried closing one eye and that still doesn't work.  I used to be pretty close, now it hits WAY off to the side.   Any more progress on the proper way to do this???  

MD

do it the same way you were doing it before putting it on both eyes - align one of them. Or you can try out what was mentioned on the first page of the thread...

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

vor 17 Stunden schrieb corbu1:

Appearance of the alignment rings in the boresight unit has changed for me in today‘s patch. This is in VR.

Does anybody noticed this, too? I didn‘t find something about it in the actual patch list.

For me too. Its easier now, because u can tell if the concentric rings are centered or not. but if this is realistic , i dont know . 

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Schlomo1933:

For me too. Its easier now, because u can tell if the concentric rings are centered or not. but if this is realistic , i dont know . 

Thanks, yes I also find boresighting easier now.

As I have never looked into a real boresight unit….I was also wondering if it is more realistic?

Edited by corbu1

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

vor 52 Minuten schrieb Raptor9:

The BRU was identified for improvement as well (you can even find old posts from myself explaining how it should eventually appear later in development), but it needs to be weighed against other priorities within the project. Coincidentally, yesterday's patch got the BRU reticle closer to how it should be, but the accuracy is still not quite there in how the pattern is projected within the BRU itself. This has been reported internally, but again, it's all about priorities. Can someone use it to boresight their IHADSS? Yes. The appearance of it can be corrected later….

changes on the BRU with latest patch are confirmed, but also will get further improvement later……

Edited by corbu1
  • Like 1

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707

13 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

do it the same way you were doing it before putting it on both eyes - align one of them. Or you can try out what was mentioned on the first page of the thread...

No duh?  I did that.  I tried both eyes.  I tried the left eye.  I tried the right eye.  If I had a middle eye, I would have tried it.  It does not work with IHADSS projected on both lenses in VR.  Went back to right only and its back to normal, which is still not great, but not 300 yds off like it was in both eyes.  

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

On 3/20/2022 at 3:09 PM, Toumal said:

Hi, I'm using an index and I use the following procedure, which only works if you set the IHADSS rendering to both eyes:

1) focus on the yellow circles. you will see the green cross twice
2) put the green crosses left and right of the boresighting circles, like so:

image.png

3) move your head laterally up/down and side to side to make the circles concentric, while keeping the crosses equidistant to the center.
4) Press TDC enter.

Again, only works for if you commit the sacrilege of rendering this on both eyes, which I don't mind at all. Using this procedure the gun, CPG slaving etc. are all spot-on.

9 minutes ago, Mad Dog 762 said:

No duh?  I did that.  I tried both eyes.  I tried the left eye.  I tried the right eye.  If I had a middle eye, I would have tried it.  It does not work with IHADSS projected on both lenses in VR.  Went back to right only and its back to normal, which is still not great, but not 300 yds off like it was in both eyes.  

referring to THIS post, you tried this already?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

1 hour ago, Hammer1-1 said:

referring to THIS post, you tried this already?

No, I do not see two green crosses with IHADSS set to both eyes.  I am not cross eyed and do not have double vision.  

23 hours ago, Mad Dog 762 said:

No, I do not see two green crosses with IHADSS set to both eyes.  I am not cross eyed and do not have double vision.  

I dont get it then - if you have the IHADSS rendered in both eyes, you should have two green crosses (one in each eye) and the fix was to align them as shown.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

• 1 month later...

I,i use both eyes for the monocle and the boresight never work. It work only if i use left or right Eye in the special options menu.

So i can't use both eyes with this problem. Can you add an option for hiadss Always boresighted?

Inviato dal mio CPH2219 utilizzando Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 12:47 PM, Lorenzo.D said:

I,i use both eyes for the monocle and the boresight never work. It work only if i use left or right Eye in the special options menu.

So i can't use both eyes with this problem. Can you add an option for hiadss Always boresighted?

Inviato dal mio CPH2219 utilizzando Tapatalk

Hey you! Get back in line!

(just kiddin'mate 😉)

There's already a 10 page thread about IHADSS shenanigans. It seems especially problematic for TrackIR/VR users. This report was made right after AH-64 release.

If you browse through the thread I linked below, maybe you'll find a (temporary) solution that works for you.

Many of us hope for a special "pre-aligned IHADSS" option (and I'm pretty sure ED will eventually add it, if only to be done with all the reports 😋)

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Looks like the new version of the BRU reticles is a workaround to prevent getting the system to technically complicated. To make it more realistic it would need to work stereoscopic for VR, but might cost performance too.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I'll have to try this as I find the cross hairs don't line up when boresighted trying to lock a target with ihadss.

Found a solution.

Center VR or trackir .

Move cockpit view up and down left right line up with boresight. 

Working 

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

On 11/10/2022 at 7:23 PM, KoN said:

I'll have to try this as I find the cross hairs don't line up when boresighted trying to lock a target with ihadss.

Found a solution.

Center VR or trackir .

Move cockpit view up and down left right line up with boresight. 

Working 

can you post a screen shot of how accurate it is in vr after you do that? I can practically guarantee you its off.

My wallpaper and skins

• 1 month later...

Want to revive this thread (although it never really died)

The new CPG head position in latest OB (now centered in his seat), definitely is an improvement 👌 

But..

The default head position is too close to the TADS (and I think also a bit too high).

In order to boresight align now, I first have to move my head forward and up (stretch my neck), press VR recenter, get back to my normal seated position and only then I can see the yellow alignment rings appear in the BRU.

Can anyone please confirm?

(Using HP Reverb G1)

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

5 minutes ago, Nealius said:

I’m still having trouble with VR boresighting, Quest 2 HMD rendered right eye. I have tried two techniques:

Moving physical head.

Not moving physical head, moving virtual head via numpad keys.

Both result in an upwards-and-right alignment error. 

How did you come to the conclusion that you have an upwards and right alignment error? Also did you center the IHADSS LOS reticle inside the BRU before accepting the boresight?

4 hours ago, JSpidey said:

did you center the IHADSS LOS reticle inside the BRU before accepting the boresight?

Yes. LOS reticle in center of concentric rings.

4 hours ago, JSpidey said:

How did you come to the conclusion that you have an upwards and right alignment error?

Checking PNVS and TADS on objects directly in front of my aircraft. The FLIR image is up and right of the actual object by close to a meter. In hotstarts the FLIR image is overlayed almost precisely over the objects.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...