BETTER 3d in VR (greater depth) !!!

pastranario3

1 minute ago, winghunter said:

The IPD setting in DCS is incorrectly labeled.
"Racking convergence can have some very unexpected effects on the viewer’s perception of the image, since the object can appear to get larger or smaller relative to its original perceived size due to the amount of stereo effect changing." which is what the IPD adjustment in DCS is causing, the cockpit feels too small or large if set incorrectly.

People keep repeating that, but DCS IPD setting is not incorrectly labelled, It does exactly what it says in the description. It moves your virtual eyes closer or further apart. Easy to see if you set DCS to output both eyes on the monitor and start playing with the variable in the menu. Your eyes will start moving more and more to the sides, eventually leaving the cockpit and the hangar completely if you put crazy high number like several meters. You can even put the negative values there and it will swap left and right eye position in DCS. 

Whether that affects your perception of size is another story. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Technically, it's Virtual IPD, ICD, VCS, or however you want to call it. https://xinreality.com/wiki/Interpupillary_distance#Virtual_IPD

They could have chosen one of the less confusing names, but it is what it is. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I hate to be the party pooper here but what you are seeing here is probably not going to last.

As soon as your brain gets acclimatized to the new "depth" perception settings you will lose that "pop-in". It doesn't mean that you will stop seeing the images in 3d, they will still be in 3d, just the same as they already are now but your brain will process them in a way to minimize vertigo and other disorienting effects as you change focus from near to far objects in your VR goggles. 

What you are probably experiencing now is a subtle version of the same effect that you had when first putting on your VR headsets. 

I doubt this very much.  I play stereo 3D conversion games regularly in VR via either Reshade or Vorpx, watch 3D movies occasionally in VR and in theaters. I still have a 3DTV, a 3DLCD monitor, and a Sony 3D HMZ…you just don’t stop seeing stereoscopy unless there is an issue with the vision.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

12 minutes ago, Supmua said:

I doubt this very much.  I play stereo 3D conversion games regularly in VR via either Reshade or Vorpx, watch 3D movies occasionally in VR and in theaters. I still have a 3DTV, a 3DLCD monitor, and a Sony 3D HMZ…you just don’t stop seeing stereoscopy unless there is an issue with the vision.

Please reread what I wrote. I never said that you will stop seeing things in stereo or 3d vision. Just that you will get used to it, or rather to it's special "brand" of VR stereoscopic vision once your brain adapts to these new settings. 

I remember when I first tried VR. I was blown away by it. I couldn't believe my eyes at the immersion, the speed, the sense of flying at a great height. I still "experience" all of those things but they are nowhere near as exhilarating as the first few months of intensive VR use. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Theres certainly a factor of "getting used to", it also happens to pilots or skyscraper construction workers. Maybe play in 2D for some weeks and you will have renewed wow effect 😄

2 hours ago, some1 said:

Technically, it's Virtual IPD, ICD, VCS, or however you want to call it. https://xinreality.com/wiki/Interpupillary_distance#Virtual_IPD

They could have chosen one of the less confusing names, but it is what it is. 

Yeah well in the end they all do the same thing, thats what i understand at least. There is no magic depth that can be extrapolatet with current gen headsets.

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

True stuff will tickle the brain for only a certain time frame,  if you fly everyday it will fade but you stop for awhile and come back it will feel more 3d at that point again.  Back in 3dvision days I was constantly adjusting for more depth and pop out in dcs.  I think our brains just eventually get trained on the illusion, atleast that’s what it feels like to me after all the years of VR and 3d.  This trick from this thread doesn’t make things pop like back in 3dvision days but what it did for me was make the terrain features seem real size and significant.  Flying the viper around last night I could appreciate and notice it more in red flag in Nevada map.  
 Maybe later I’ll turn off this trick and see how it feels and what is lost.

• Like 3

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Just now, rcjonessnp175 said:

True stuff will tickle the brain for only a certain time frame,  if you fly everyday it will fade but you stop for awhile and come back it will feel more 3d at that point again.  Back in 3dvision days I was constantly adjusting for more depth and pop out in dcs.  I think our brains just eventually get trained on the illusion, atleast that’s what it feels like to me after all the years of VR and 3d.  This trick from this thread doesn’t make things pop like back in 3dvision days but what it did for me was make the terrain features seem real size and significant.  Flying the viper around last night I could appreciate and notice it more in red flag in Nevada map.  
 Maybe later I’ll turn off this trick and see how it feels and what is lost.

Also try changing the IPD settign in DCS > VR and see if that promotes the same effect

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

I tried it yesterday, modified the global profile, then modified the "Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark" profile..  (per the youtube video)

launched the game

couldn't tell a difference at all as far as the "seat of my virtual pants" go, did notice a bit better color contrast on the buttons in the cockpit, but that's about it..

I imagine the effect is stronger and or weaker depending on folks IPD.  But I’m no 3d scientist,  but for those 3d scientists is there a way to enhance the effect further to taste?

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

1 hour ago, Dogmanbird said:

pastranario3 - Thank you for sharing this 🙂

It was originally posted for DCS here, but first posting was in that other WWII VR forum back in January, when I accidentally stumbled on it trying to fix a very bad shimmer problem in that sim.  Took a while till I messed with DCS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rcjonessnp175 said:

I imagine the effect is stronger and or weaker depending on folks IPD.  But I’m no 3d scientist,  but for those 3d scientists is there a way to enhance the effect further to taste?

The effect is very nice for me, mainly after I have taken off and started flying low over the terrain in the Apache. Sitting in the Apache cold start training mission I do not notice anything, but after taking off and flying low - It is simply gorgeous! My IPD as measured by Vargo Aero is 69.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm glad to everyone who was able to find the improvement.  I found this configuration after looking for different alternatives tending to improve the 3d effect in vr, and when I found these options and the result, I said wouww!! the vr community has to know, and maybe others can get better settings and better 3d effects.  We are still investigating.  Now you can enjoy the landscapes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, pastranario3 said:

I'm glad to everyone who was able to find the improvement.  I found this configuration after looking for different alternatives tending to improve the 3d effect in vr, and when I found these options and the result, I said wouww!! the vr community has to know, and maybe others can get better settings and better 3d effects.  We are still investigating.  Now you can enjoy the landscapes.

Good work, been enjoying this for a few months now, not a miracle but it sure is a nice visual enhancement.  I'd suspect the guys with the best clarity and horsepower to start with benefit the most.  It was just a freak accident I found it, had already made up my mind to do a clean swipe and fresh new install of win 11, my first version was the earliest one and refused to upgrade.  And that other sim looked like horse ass with shimmer after a hotfix, that I couldn't correct, so I was looking for extra expanded settings on the card and tried inspector to get access.  Figured there just might be some profiles for the sims I fly, when I saw that interesting named profile.  Tried it and poof, I was flabbergasted especially in DCS where I had little to no shimmer.  The C-101 pit looked real.

I do this with Vorpx all the time but it’s mostly with flatscreen games (Mass Effects, Dragon Quest IX, Tomb Raider, Cyberpunk, etc.) converted to 3D SBS format, just didn’t think that we could have this enhanced depth/pop out effects with VR games in general.  With Vorpx there are all kinds of parameters that you can play with including convergence and eye separation settings, etc. that could alter the strength of 3D effects.  Good stuff indeed.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Just tried these tweaks in another combat flight sim, it too was simply gorgeous. I am definitely sold on this one.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

31 minutes ago, Supmua said:

With Vorpx there are all kinds of parameters

Last time I run Vorpex was when I was trying World of Warcraft in 3D... ^-^' Youre saying theres profile for DCS?

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! 

This is mod is no placebo as I previously thought. It truly works. I had done it  initially not take note of the profile I applied it to. Now I changed the my profile to Digital Combat simulator:Black shark profile, launch my dcs in vr and it happened. Unbelievable view. First thing that pop for me was the Battery Power selector in the Apache, it was longer in height in 3D view. Lifted up and the views and sense of height became pronounced. This is goooooooood.

This is some smart mod. I quickly took some time off to post here as I did not want to stop dcs fearing this may not apply if I restart dcs again.

Amazing discovering here. Going back to enjoy some more flight. 

• Like 3

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Can anybody comment if they are using oculus and see the effects?  way people are reacting it seems its much more special than what im seeing in a quest 2.

9 minutes ago, Eaglewings said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! 

This is mod is no placebo as I previously thought. It truly works. I had done it  initially not take note of the profile I applied it to. Now I changed the my profile to Digital Combat simulator:Black shark profile, launch my dcs in vr and it happened. Unbelievable view. First thing that pop for me was the Battery Power selector in the Apache, it was longer in height in 3D view. Lifted up and the views and sense of height became pronounced. This is goooooooood.

This is some smart mod. I quickly took some time off to post here as I did not want to stop dcs fearing this may not apply if I restart dcs again.

Amazing discovering here. Going back to enjoy some more flight. 

agreed, I had a blast (literally) with this yesterday afternoon.  spent a lot of time in the Apache, having George take out some T-55's...  I didn't want to stop flying, the scenery looks awesome. 

Also, did the same thing, edited my DCS black shark profile with these settings...

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Mmm, tried the various ways discribed in here to get more 3D depth, to be honest i can't see any difference between the global driver profile setting or the VRDirectx/3DVR ones.
Looked at knobs, switches, trees, buildings etc...can't see any difference at all.
What do i do wrong... (Rift-S user)

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

20 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

agreed, I had a blast (literally) with this yesterday afternoon.  spent a lot of time in the Apache, having George take out some T-55's...  I didn't want to stop flying, the scenery looks awesome. 

Also, did the same thing, edited my DCS black shark profile with these settings...

Ok, so if I understand correctly if you have a profile already in use in nvidia control panel for dcs it’s the dcs profile you need to adjust in inspector? 

I made a new profile called 3d vr and pressed apply settings after doing the mentioned changes as I got the impression that that would do it. Didn’t see any changes. Do I have to “hook” this new profile to the dcs executable or something like that?

Edited by Vitallini

1 minute ago, Vitallini said:

Ok, so if I understand correctly if you have a profile already in use in nvidia control panel for dcs it’s the dcs profile you need to adjust in inspector? 

I made a new profile called 3d vr and pressed apply settings after doing the mentioned changes as I got the impression that that would do it. Didn’t see any changes. Do I have to “hook” this new profile to the dcs executable or something like that?

yes, I believe that is what happens.  For DCS, I've been using that profile anyways, so I made my changes there.  

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Are the latest nVidia drivers needed for this?

Shame there is no direct on/off option to the difference directly in game without restarting DCS (or is there?).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!