W.I.P Clouds

BIGNEWY

This cloud aliasing problem seems to be totally neglected for me. There was some improvement at the end of last year but after that nothing has been changed.

In VR some cloud layers are horribly aliased: check out the Mig-21 take off instant action mission on the Nevada map. With that sun position nearly ALL of the clouds are very ugly when flying above them. Really distracting, totally ruins immersion, even induces "cross eyed" feeling to watch them.

Dear @BIGNEWY is there any plan to fix this cloud aliasing at once, or the fix is closely related to the incoming DLSS anti-aliasing technique and / or Vulkan implementation?

Is there any reason that this massive bug is still untouched for years now?

• Like 3
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

It's particularly bad when viewed in VR - the aliased "stairs" walk with the moving view and are twice the size of resolution pixels - horrible.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• ED Team
23 hours ago, St4rgun said:

Dear @BIGNEWY is there any plan to fix this cloud aliasing at once, or the fix is closely related to the incoming DLSS anti-aliasing technique and / or Vulkan implementation?

Is there any reason that this massive bug is still untouched for years now?

For now you need to use ultra settings on the clouds for best results, and adjust your aliasing settings accordingly, this of course comes with a FPS overhead. 
Distant clouds on the horizon is where I see the aliasing the most, I fly in VR and use ultra settings on clouds. 
We still have more work to come with the clouds, DLSS and eventually vulkan should help also but we will need to continue to be patient. 

thanks

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Any chance to see this changes, in 2023? 

• Like 2

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

25 minutes ago, Blinde said:

How about some thunder and lightnings? Pretty important part of the weather, some might say more than rainbows.

Everybody knows that the chance of rainbows is a critical part of any Terminal Aerodrome Forecast.

• Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

5 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

I've never seen a rainbow in DCS, what settings are needed to create them?

Like IRL, fly towards rain with sun at the back - try Overcast and rain presets.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, Mad_Shell said:

No, rainbows appear when the sun is in your back.

I stand corrected, thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any news about the W.I.P clouds ? 

• Like 4

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

On 5/8/2023 at 8:03 PM, Blinde said:

How about some thunder and lightnings? Pretty important part of the weather, some might say more than rainbows.

I just want to back this up in the wishlist.

Even without the dangerousity of such clouds at beginning, for scenery ... 🙂

Edited by Anubis_94
  • Like 3

I would also love to see the horizon anti aliasing problem as well as the wobbling clouds (when you move your head around) being addressed, as these are big points that ruin immersion while in the air. If you don't have the maximum luxury hardware, you can't set the AA any higher without going down to like 20 FPS. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
vor 3 Stunden schrieb Lenux:

No news about the clouds, DCS 2.9 ?? 

They haven‘t posted all new features and improvements comming with DCS 2.9. Let‘s wait and see. I assume there will be improvement of weather and clouds 😉👍🏻

Edited by Weasel
  • Like 2

Hopefully, but if so, they should have give more details about ( screenshots, videos ) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 3:21 AM, Predator-78 said:

In fact, since the last updates the clouds have gotten worse.

Inviato dal mio SM-G998B utilizzando Tapatalk

Also noticed. They looked great when they came out but with MT (or something else) there is this clear grid pattern, which also affects contrails and missile trails now. Lack of particles for a lack of a better term. 

Would be also neat to have proper fog, wind effects, and turbulence + icing within clouds under proper conditions.

• Like 10