Normandy 2.0 FAQ **Updated**

NineLine

2 hours ago, JayGee said:

but none of the Normandy entries occupy memory in my directory

These  (Normy 2 entries) are all merely license tokens that enable certain features that are provided with the updated Normandy 1944 map. Check that entry and you will find that Normandy 1944 still is in your DLC list and that it does occupy substantial memory. This was probably the root of many of the issues people here (me included) experienced when the 2.0 license did not activate. 

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1

Can you clarify: It says:

"Your existing DCS: Normandy 1944 map will be updated for free so that the whole area of the original map is in the same high-detail as in the DCS: Normandy 2.0."

Then it says:

"If you wish to, you may pay $14.99 USD to upgrade to DCS: Normandy 2.0 for all the benefits described above." 

So what do you get for $14.99 that isn't in the free update in the first sentence?

Confused - again!

2 minutes ago, baldeagle611 said:

So what do you get for $14.99 that isn't in the free update in the first sentence?

The map remains the same. The upgrade allows access to hi-res graphics. Without the upgrade you can still fly around Paris and London, but the imagery will look like this:

image.png

That's so you don't have to pay for the upgrade and still can play on Normy-based servers. Without the nice (and for some GPU killing) graphics. The upgrade pays for eye candy. High-caliber eye candy. 

Edited by cfrag

9 minutes ago, cfrag said:

The map remains the same. The upgrade allows access to hi-res graphics. Without the upgrade you can still fly around Paris and London, but the imagery will look like this:

That's so you don't have to pay for the upgrade and still can play on Normy-based servers. Without the nice (and for some GPU killing) graphics. The upgrade pays for eye candy. High-caliber eye candy. 

Be painful to have this map without all that delicious eye candy. And there's a crapton of it. 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 hour ago, Red_Pilot said:

image.png

By the way, I wonder what this foam is formed from near the shore? The water is completely flat, apart from a small river ripple on the water

The texture of the waves is many years old, and ED has not implemented realistic waves, These flat sea are only affected by the wind in the weather editor raising a ugly waves.

• Thanks 1

I was just about to buy it for 9.99 when it said I already have a serial and own the map? If I already own the map then am I just paying for texture updates?

This is a little confusing to say the least..

When I actually decided to added it to my cart and attempt go through with the transaction it was flashing at me again saying I already own it, as it was warning me so much I actually backed out of the transaction in fear of paying for something I already had spent 34.99 middle of last year.

Confused 🤔

12 minutes ago, RuskyV said:

I was just about to buy it for 9.99 when it said I already have a serial and own the map? If I already own the map then am I just paying for texture updates?

When I actually decided to added it to my cart and attempt go through with the transaction it was flashing at me again saying I already own it, as it was warning me so much I actually backed out of the transaction in fear of paying for something I already had spent 34.99 middle of last year.

Confused 🤔

Your existing map will be updated for the expanded area, get all the new airfields etc. Just that the textures in the expanded area will be low res, as in look really blurry if you fly at a low level. Purchasing the upgrade unlocks the high res textures for the expanded areas. Whether that is worth 9.99 only you can decide. IMHO it is more than worth it.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

@Baldrick33Thanks for explaining that one 👍

Not that the money is a great cost given the currant offer, however I'm a little perplexed at charging us for essentially an update or refresh of a map, Syria had a whole bunch of updates including a load more airbases with an expansion to the west with no extra cost to the customer so I wonder what's changed this time round?

• ED Team
5 минут назад, RuskyV сказал:

I wonder what's changed this time round?

A group of programmers worked on the creation of Normandy 2.0 for more than a year. Now you can support this work.

38 минут назад, RuskyV сказал:

The E-Shop does not distinguish between Normandy 1944 and Normandy 2.0, which is why you see a warning message about an existing licence. Please ignore this warning.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RuskyV said:

Not that the money is a great cost given the currant offer, however I'm a little perplexed at charging us for essentially an update or refresh of a map, Syria had a whole bunch of updates including a load more airbases with an expansion to the west with no extra cost to the customer so I wonder what's changed this time round?

You get upgraded graphics for the area covered by Normandy 1944, as well as another 140 000km2 of space to fly on at lower detail all for free. But if you pay extra you also get superb graphics on the remaining 140 000km2.

I don't know exactly what areas Syria got expanded into but I'm gonna assume its far less detailed and concentrated as western France and Brtian in 1944. 

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

6 minutes ago, maximov said:

A group of programmers worked on the creation of Normandy 2.0 for more than a year. Now you can support this work.

Which I quite gratefully chose to support by purchasing the map last June, I just hope this is not going to be a trend setting theme moving forward with future maps.

Cheers, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuskyV said:

Which I quite gratefully chose to support by purchasing the map last June, I just hope this is not going to be a trend setting theme moving forward with future maps.

Cheers, 

I'm happy to pay for upgrades when they are of this quality. 

Adding London and Paris in HD and making them run at more than 10FPS is no small thing. 

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I got Normandie 2.0 for just five Dollars as I had both Normandie 1944 and The Channel and used my credit points, but I would have paid gladly 50 bucks for this map. It is just tremendous! Many thanks to the developers of Ugra Media!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

You get upgraded graphics for the area covered by Normandy 1944, as well as another 140 000km2 of space to fly on at lower detail all for free. But if you pay extra you also get superb graphics on the remaining 140 000km2.

I don't know exactly what areas Syria got expanded into but I'm gonna assume its far less detailed and concentrated as western France and Brtian in 1944. 

I think I get it now. Nothing is simple round here is it?

14 hours ago, RuskyV said:

Cheers, 

I've done quite a bit of supporting for this game already!

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, HC_Official said:

If you trial Normandy 2.0 out now in open beta ............. is London / Paris supposed to be potato quality textures ? @BIGNEWY

Yes its not the upgrade version, so you will only see high detail in the old 1944 boundary 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Maybe I am a bit dim here , but if you are trying to sell something and offer a free trial should it not be the best version available ..... to encourage people to buy it and  to show off its quality?

Edited by HC_Official
  • Like 2

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

18 hours ago, RuskyV said:

The new map is vastly larger than the old one. It's more than a "refresh." And you get all of that for free if you own the old one. They are only charging for a lot of really excellent new eye candy detail. It's a bargain.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Can there be made an estimate by when this beautiful map will be available in the stable version? Bought it directly when it came out.

But as I'm flyin in the stable version only (don't ask why, haha), I look forward to have it there.

Are we talking about weeks or months?

Thanks