CPG display glare - literally unplayable

al531246

Honestly this is one (of many) issues which puts me off the AH-64. I end up trying to CPG with my head on the floor or in some other quirky position. Please fix the glare. Anti glare 'technology' is not UFO tech, it's existed for a long time and AH-64's have it. Please remove this god awful glare. 

Track file not included.

Screen_230604_001904.png

Screen_230604_005106.png

Screen_230604_011219.png

• Like 5

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

Yep, has to go......will prob take a month of Sundays before anything is done tho!

• Like 5

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

While I appreciate it at times, with the cockpit not always blocking the sunlight correctly, and without the ability to angle your body to help block glare, it would be nice to have the option to disable or turn down display glare, since we lack certain abilities we have in real life to help mitigate the issue.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 2:30 AM, al531246 said:

Track file not included.

If you're really interested in getting the problem fixed, then you should do everything possible to help the developers reproduce the problem. Since the problem might be related to your settings, you should definitely upload your dcs.log. And since the exact position of the AH-64D, the time of day and the weather also have an influence on the problem, you should also upload a short track file.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

I understand the usual need for a trackfile, but in this case it's just a case of sun glare.

Get it quite often myself.  Rotate the helo and everything gets better.  Now - what DOES make things interesting is if the angle is just "right" when you are lining up for a Hellfire!!!  Need to change the mfd to hud sometimes.

I understand, that this is a problem, since we can't use out hands to shade the displays or something like this. But I have to say - it looks pretty darn realistic....

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

4 hours ago, Hiob said:

But I have to say - it looks pretty darn realistic....

You're kidding? Anti-glare is standard in a lot of displays these days. In addition one can buy anti-glare sheets from anywhere for $10! However even without such additions the screens do not glare like DCS. It's ridiculous. Real display in direct sunlight for comparison...

Trackfiles won't be getting uploaded because it's not my job to diagnose and fix problems in ED's game. My hourly rate for tech is $100 p/hour. Happy to dig into the code once ED transfers some money...
5a9496fdaae6051e008b46c2

Edited by al531246
  • Like 5

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

13 minutes ago, al531246 said:

Trackfiles won't be getting uploaded because it's not my job to diagnose and fix problems in ED's game.

It literally took you longer to type this and original post out than it would take you to upload the track file (which is honestly not needed in this case). Real nice attitude you have there

• Like 4

2 hours ago, al531246 said:

Real display in direct sunlight for comparison...

I'm not sure your photo is really proving your point.  Though the displays are not on, I'm seeing a lot of dust and smudges on the screens, clear reflections of the knees and some wicked blue artifact of the canopy in the TEDAC.  I would imagine that if the sun were directly behind you, it would bounce off those screens into your face like a concentrating solar array.

As a work-around, I think if you export your displays to a second monitor, those exported displays to not show any glare, and the glare effect is not rendered in the cockpit anymore either.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, al531246 said:

You're kidding? Anti-glare is standard in a lot of displays these days. In addition one can buy anti-glare sheets from anywhere for $10! However even without such additions the screens do not glare like DCS. It's ridiculous. Real display in direct sunlight for comparison...

Trackfiles won't be getting uploaded because it's not my job to diagnose and fix problems in ED's game. My hourly rate for tech is $100 p/hour. Happy to dig into the code once ED transfers some money...
5a9496fdaae6051e008b46c2

Sun angle is nowhere near sun angle in your OP.

Believe me, any screen will glare, no matter what anti-glare gizmo you put on it.

Is there some specific graphic setting or level of settings associated with this effect because I have tried and tried to replicate this and I can never produce glare like this? I'm running most settings High or Ultra in 4K. Is this VR only??

it is not VR only I am using flat screen , to replicate you might need to set to clear skies and time being mid morning or very late afternoon to get the angle of the sun correct

I will see later if I can get a quick mission with eh correct parameters to allow you to see this

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

5 hours ago, KeyserSoze62 said:

Is there some specific graphic setting or level of settings associated with this effect because I have tried and tried to replicate this and I can never produce glare like this? I'm running most settings High or Ultra in 4K. Is this VR only??

Same as IRL. You need to have the sun from a certain angle behind you.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 4 months later...

4 months later ED, the glare is still here. Can this please take an urgent priority. This should have been fixed months ago.

4dGb1OA.png

Edited by al531246

1 minute ago, SteelPig said:

4 months later and still no trackfile from you.

No arms,no cookies!

You should be wearing a helmet if you think this needs a trackfile...