DCS Newsletter discussion 6th October 2023 - F-16C and F/A-18C Radar | Mi-24P Development Report | BogeyDope Server

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends,

We are pleased to inform you of the most recent changes coming to the F/A-18C and F-16C air-to-air radar detection modelling. Notably, we have further refined how the radar detects targets based on a realistic set of probabilities. Take a look at the technical explanation below. Stay tuned for the feature drop in the upcoming DCS 2.9 Open Beta!

DCS: Mi-24P Hind will also receive a wealth of improvements in the upcoming open beta update! You can look forward to exciting Petrovich AI enhancements and an updated SPO-10 Radar Warning Receiver (RWR). More details below.

Bogey Dope is an ex-USAF F-16 Crew Chief that creates easily digestible DCS tutorials, cinematics, and missions on YouTube. His channel is a great resource for DCS pilots, and we encourage you to check out his channel and show him your support! 

Please note that if your Steam account is bound to your DCS account, you will not be able to log into the Steam version of the game and will encounter a 403 error. This change has been implemented to enhance security and streamline access to DCS.

Thank you for your passion and support.

Yours sincerely,
Eagle Dynamics

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/33d5516418549aa104164a508500a732/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

21 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends,

We are pleased to inform you of the most recent changes coming to the F/A-18C and F-16C air-to-air radar detection modelling. Notably, we have further refined how the radar detects targets based on a realistic set of probabilities. Take a look at the technical explanation below. Stay tuned for the feature drop in the upcoming DCS 2.9 Open Beta!

Good step in the right direction. However, no mention of RCS varying with target aspect and stores. Is it planned for 2.9 or later?

Thx

• Like 2

The whole section on A/A radar… 🤯  Wonder if such complexities will also be transferred to ground based radars/ SAMS etc in the future. Sounds interesting, love the fact that systems are becoming that in-depth. 

• Like 4

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

46 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please note that if your Steam account is bound to your DCS account, you will not be able to log into the Steam version of the game and will encounter a 403 error. This change has been implemented to enhance security and streamline access to DCS.

I don't understand what this means. 

I have purchased DCS through Steam.  As well as hundreds of dollars of modules.  Are you saying my product will no longer work?

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, [16AGR] CptTrips said:

I don't understand what this means. 

I have purchased DCS through Steam.  As well as hundreds of dollars of modules.  Are you saying my product will no longer work?

Your modules will continue to work.

If you have all of your modules on steam use steam, but if you want to you need to unbind from stand alone DCS. 
The only change here is you can not run steam version of DCS at the same time as being bound to stand alone DCS. 

If you own steam modules and eshop / stand alone modules continue to use stand alone DCS and keep your steam account bound to your DCS account. 

thanks

• Like 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

7 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

If you have all of your modules on steam use steam, but if you want to you need to unbind from stand alone DCS. 
The only change here is you can not run steam version of DCS at the same time as being bound to stand alone DCS. 

If you own steam modules and eshop / stand alone modules continue to use stand alone DCS and keep your steam account bound to your DCS account. 

thanks

I checked and my Steam is unbound I guess.  (it had a Bind button showing).

So I will still be able to launch DCS from my Steam page?

I've never transferred anything to standalone.

• ED Team
Just now, [16AGR] CptTrips said:

yes you are unaffected and can continue as normal. 

enjoy

• Like 2

CptTrips" userid="131966"]  

If you have played DCS in the last few days on Steam without a problem. Then just don't worry about it.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow, the list of features we can expect with the upcoming 2.9 update grows and grows. So Amazing!!!!

• Like 2

DCS MT 2.9.4.53990
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - OH-6A(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) - Kola — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Can you confirm that the ability to unbind accounts will always remain?
I'm on steam and generally happy with it, but if i decided to "try" standalone i could always go back to steam by unbinding the accounts and my steam-bought modules would work again in steam, correct?

• ED Team
15 minutes ago, twistking said:

Can you confirm that the ability to unbind accounts will always remain?
I'm on steam and generally happy with it, but if i decided to "try" standalone i could always go back to steam by unbinding the accounts and my steam-bought modules would work again in steam, correct?

you will still be able to bind and unbind your steam account. 

you just wont be able to use steam version if you do bind

• Thanks 2

Great to hear about improving radar simulation but I also like to hear the answers to the earlier questions:

- RCS vs target aspect and loadout

- plans for propagation of new radar simulation to other modules

• Like 6

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Recently enjoyed Petrovich again  Looking forward to 2.9.
As we are in October, will we see pumpkin taxi lights and skeleton crew on SC at Halloween or has this feature been disabled with all the updates since last year?
Unless you have turned off "Easter eggs" on purpose, I hope for surprises too.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The new RADAR technology will bring many disadvantages to the F16/18 alone. The F16/18 RADAR will have a lot more losses with target tracking, that's what I am reading. It might turn out that we can track targets at a greater distance and lock them. But at the same time the tracking, even at close range, will show up with a lot more interruptions and with a loss of already locked targets, in a way we've never seen before.
If all Modules had to "fight" with his new RADAR implementation, I would be fine. It can be an issue, if "only" the F16/18 have to "fight" with the new RADAR stuff, it could have a big impact for the multiplayer.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy if new good stuff is coming up, but as always, if only some have their hands on them, it can and will get things more complicated.
The open Beta is (ED said so) the thing to go for MP. So even I don't want to test the new stuff, I have to. There is no way to not test it, if you play MP. That can make things much more complicated and remove some fun.
So I'll take it with a grain of salt. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think so.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

Am 7.10.2023 um 09:38 schrieb draconus:

Great to hear about improving radar simulation but I also like to hear the answers to the earlier questions:

- RCS vs target aspect and loadout

Thats a very good question. I would also be very interested in this

vor 57 Minuten schrieb Nedum:

The new RADAR technology will bring many disadvantages to the F16/18 alone. The F16/18 RADAR will have a lot more losses with target tracking, that's what I am reading. It might turn out that we can track targets at a greater distance and lock them. But at the same time the tracking, even at close range, will show up with a lot more interruptions and with a loss of already locked targets, in a way we've never seen before.
If all Modules had to "fight" with his new RADAR implementation, I would be fine. It can be an issue, if "only" the F16/18 have to "fight" with the new RADAR stuff, it could have a big impact for the multiplayer.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy if new good stuff is coming up, but as always, if only some have their hands on them, it can and will get things more complicated.
The open Beta is (ED said so) the thing to go for MP. So even I don't want to test the new stuff, I have to. There is no way to not test it, if you play MP. That can make things much more complicated and remove some fun.

The goal should never be balance in multiplayer but maximum simulation depth. Until now, the 3rd party radars were much better simulated and now ED is finally catching up. That can only be seen as positive. I also hope that the progress will be carried over to other modules, but it's perfectly fine to start with the F16/18 first.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nedum said:

Forget about MP, what about AI, AI already have various omnipotent/omniscient powers that give it advantages. Now we're gonna have to "argue" with the radar while AI always have perfect lock and control.

• Like 5

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

On 10/8/2023 at 4:21 PM, Germane said:

Thats a very good question. I would also be very interested in this

The goal should never be balance in multiplayer but maximum simulation depth. Until now, the 3rd party radars were much better simulated and now ED is finally catching up. That can only be seen as positive. I also hope that the progress will be carried over to other modules, but it's perfectly fine to start with the F16/18 first.

Didn't you read what ED wrote about the new RADAR tech?

This tech is something way above the 3rd party did. Way above. The new tech will simulate the air dense effect in a way !!no!! current RADAR can. This effect alone will have a huge impact on the scan, track and lock on range. Sometimes we can lock an enemy much further away as the other modules can and sometimes, if you fight in dense air, it can and will be the opposite. That's a big change for how the whole RADAR act and the pilots have to work with. On top, we will get false tracking, Ghost locks, false positions, and many more. I like it. Really. But I bet, that will give ED a big headache, especially for PVP (look down and the new clutter effect). The F16/18 pilots will have to fight the new RADAR "stuff" on top of the enemy.

The weather in DCS will have a big influence on the new RADAR, but only for the F16 and F18, and that for years month two weeks.

Edited by Nedum
  • Like 2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:58 PM, Nedum said:

Didn't you read what ED wrote about the new RADAR tech?

This tech is something way above the 3rd party did. Way above. The new tech will simulate the air dense effect in a way !!no!! current RADAR can. This effect alone will have a huge impact on the scan, track and lock on range. Sometimes we can lock an enemy much further away as the other modules can and sometimes, if you fight in dense air, it can and will be the opposite. That's a big change for how the whole RADAR act and the pilots have to work with. On top, we will get false tracking, Ghost locks, false positions, and many more. I like it. Really. But I bet, that will give ED a big headache, especially for PVP (look down and the new clutter effect). The F16/18 pilots will have to fight the new RADAR "stuff" on top of the enemy.

The weather in DCS will have a big influence on the new RADAR, but only for the F16 and F18, and that for years month two weeks.

I'm thinking you are reading too much into that. The biggest items so far "Probabilistic detection" and different RCS simulation based on aspect, where introduced by Razbam some months ago on their implementation of the M2000C radar. False target detection is also their on their radars (F15E and M2000C). So apart from the range cell resolution which is interesting but also done by Heatblur if IIRC, ED is mostly playing catch up here (its not a critic at all, im super excited but just being honest to the 3rd parties)

• Like 5

• BIGNEWY unpinned this topic