Patch notes discussion October 2023 - DCS 2.9

BIGNEWY

38 minutes ago, KCOOL said:

I had the same with 4090 for some hours after the update. In my case afterburner settings for 2.8 did not work for 2.9. Only 15-30 FPS in welcome page...

With 2.8 I was 215 WMR, MSAAx4, FSR 78. Awesome visuals, 45 FPS.

With 2.9 i tried letting afterburner at default, no undervolted. The FPS issue at welcome pago gone.

Then it worked well at WMR 200, DLSS Quality and CAS 100 (toolkit). Today I will try only DLAA.

SSS seems.to cause odd shadows? There are some issues with terrain shadows colors as someone mention in a previous post.

I must be drawing a blank. What "215 WMR" and "200 WMR"? I assume "WMR" is Windows Mixed Reality, but I can't correlate those numbers to it.

28 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

We have known issues in the patch notes, and we are reporting many issues already with peoples feedback. 

Please remember open beta is a public test build so there will be disruption occasionally while we work on issues. 

thank you

Just a heads up (I'm sure you've already got messages about it but none the less) the SSS option in VR is tied to your head movement. So if you move your head all the shadows move. Otherwise it looks great if you just look in one place! 

2 hours ago, shazam253 said:

I wasn't able to try out it yet, but for those experiencing reduction in FPS, stutters and such: I would recommend to do a slow repair of your DCS install and disable any community mods. If that still fails, move your save game folder and start fresh. If it helps, gradually put the old pieces back to see where it breaks. Potentially this will also help the devs, as you uncover where it is coming from.

I’ve done a slow repair, removed mods before I did that. I couldn’t install the update at first but some messing about renaming my saved games folder, running a repair I got it installed. I had to uninstall DCS, reinstall, then slow repair before it would install.

The stuttering spectator view continues.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, sorry to ask, but I tried a search and couldnt find an answer :  I was very excited by the introduction of DLSR but I was so disappointed that I dont seem to be able to use it?  When (in the OPTIONS page of DCS in VR) I click on the Anti-Aliasing menu only OFF and MSAA are selectable (both TAA and DLAA are greyed out) and it is the same with Upscaling, only OFF is selectable, therefore no DLSR... I have a RTX 3090, I dont understand???? what am I doing wrong?  

thanks

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, CIWS said:

Since the 2.9 update now external graphics have a shaking / shuddering effect going on.   RTX 4070 with ver 537.13 first, then updated to latest 545.84 GRD. Getting the same result.

DCS2_9Shaky.gif

Getting exactly this too……but only in Multiplayer….

• ED Team
17 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

Just a heads up (I'm sure you've already got messages about it but none the less) the SSS option in VR is tied to your head movement. So if you move your head all the shadows move. Otherwise it looks great if you just look in one place! 

yes we are looking into it, thank you

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, slughead said:

Try this thread: 

The workaround appears to be to disable the CPU core that is pegged at 100% for DCS. For many that is core 8.

This doesn't fix it either. For me, it's an immediate CTD.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

18 minutes ago, JEFX said:

Hi everyone, sorry to ask, but I tried a search and couldnt find an answer :  I was very excited by the introduction of DLSR but I was so disappointed that I dont seem to be able to use it?  When (in the OPTIONS page of DCS in VR) I click on the Anti-Aliasing menu only OFF and MSAA are selectable (both TAA and DLAA are greyed out) and it is the same with Upscaling, only OFF is selectable, therefore no DLSR... I have a RTX 3090, I dont understand???? what am I doing wrong?  

thanks

You are probably running the ST version instead of MT. Does the version number in the corner of the main menu say "MT"?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

thanks for your help Hiob.  I dont see any ST of MT ?? I see only Version : 2.9.0.46801 in the bottom right corner.  Is MT the Multithreading version? and if so, I do I use this one instead of my normal instal?

thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Good technical breakdown of the new features.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

--Arthur C Clark

34 minutes ago, zildac said:
36 minutes ago, PLUTON said:
I don't see what WMR 200 means either and where can we find its figures

Resolution percentage Perhaps?

That would make sense but seems high in my experience. With a 5800 X3D and 4090, I've been running 150%

• Like 1

Many thanks for the update, always pleased when my performance increases, even by a little.

Two problems I`ve encountered:

1. Stennis aircraft carrier will not accept aircraft or helicopter cold or hot start, both times start airborne, OK when I changed it to  Forrestal.

2. I have a lot of UH1 missions that rely on troops being transported, all my missions  pre 2.9 worked (most of the time). Now the troops follow the command to embark but the first remains static inside the Helicopter or they all just stop dead.  Picture tells the story.

Embark.jpg

• Like 1

GE Wings2.jpg           AMD Ryzen 5, 16 GB DDR4, AMD XFX Radeon RX590 8GB, 27" curved Samsung monitor.

1 hour ago, CIWS said:

Did not have the problem before 2.9.  

Since I keep seeing folks saying this was a known issue at release, then I'll simply assume a lot of these "issues" were known and they released it anyway.  So I'm out of this thread.

2.8 MT:

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

5 minutes ago, Mike145 said:

Many thanks for the update, always pleased when my performance increases, even by a little.

Two problems I`ve encountered:

1. Stennis aircraft carrier will not accept aircraft or helicopter cold or hot start, both times start airborne, OK when I changed it to  Forrestal.

2. I have a lot of UH1 missions that rely on troops being transported, all my missions  pre 2.9 worked (most of the time). Now the troops follow the command to embark but the first remains static inside the Helicopter or they all just stop dead.  Picture tells the story.

Embark.jpg

2: That's a new one, I have not ran into that one before. I did a lot of custom troop transport missions last night and to be honest, I did not see any difference other than the "embark" "disembark" menus are now highlighted yellow.

There is always one smooth brain that runs 100 meters in the opposite direction before getting aboard though. Seemed to be about the same with the new patch. I wonder what the difference in the missions could be?

I am not claiming there is nothing wrong, I am genuinely curious.

Ryzen7 5800X3D - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX - 64Gb 3600MHz DDR4 - RX 6950 XT - SoundBlaster -Z

46 minutes ago, JEFX said:

thanks for your help Hiob.  I dont see any ST of MT ?? I see only Version : 2.9.0.46801 in the bottom right corner.  Is MT the Multithreading version? and if so, I do I use this one instead of my normal instal?

If you only see Version 2.9.0.46801 then you are running the ST version. MT version can be run if you use the DCS.exe from the bin-MT (in your DCS install directory) instead of the one in then bin directory.

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

FYI, after v2.9 visual problems are almost not noticable with mt.exe as long as Im using MSAA 2X. DLSS and even DLAA (less) have same visual issues. "Ghosting"/"trailing" behind planes in motion, blurred planes at distances further than 2nm. For quick check you can just use external fly by view and you will see plane blurred and when it comes closer it suddenly is clear and sharp.

Edited by Tvrdi
  • Like 2

One other thing that suddenly jumped back into my mind from briefly playing around with DLSS. Has anyone else observed like a weird effect if you look in the external fly-by view? Almost like what i'd describe as that 'motion smearing' effect you used to see in Star Trek when a ship goes to warp.  It kind of showed up around the tail and wingtips a little at the start of a fly-by and then sorts itself out after a few frames as the plane approaches and passes the camera, before starting again as the view resets for another pass.

This was on a 3070 with DLSS + DLAA enabled and 0.5 sharpening applied.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Manhorne said:

I did the same as you but My performance is horrible now. I cannot even play because it is so bad. Not really sure why. Everything was fine before the update and I have my setting set to what they were then but did not make a difference...

18 hours ago, Mateo said:

I have got the same, strange strong stutters that last 1-2 s and appear once per minute or even more. I do the test with all new features OFF and AA also OFF. Just to init new optimum settings - I fail.

Gents, the 1-2 second stutters we have experienced in 2.9 are gone if I run the single-threaded version (from \bin folder), not the multithreaded one that is now the default (from \bin-mt).

(Running on 4-core i5-3570).

While I love the new 3D models of the B-1, Buff and S-3, there's something that bugs me in the skin of the new Viking. It has the modex number 727 - while 7XX is correct, I'm pretty sure the S-3 squadrons did not go on cruise with 27 planes. So 702 would have been a better choice 😉 If I find the time, I might even make some skins for the S-3, is there a plan to release a paint template?

• Like 2

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR