Spotting dot bugs in VR

Sarowa

Folks this is a realistic combat simulator disable them dots ! 😄 jk

• Like 2

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

14 minutes ago, Burt said:

Without dots, and without a suitable replacement (e.g. smart scaling), you're at the mercy of your display technology and various DCS graphical effects (or lack thereof) that may insufficiently replicate real life effects at long distances (e.g. sun glint). Even effects like contrails are invisible at long range until you zoom in, likely due to frustum culling. Even then, a computer display cannot perfectly replicate the detail you can see IRL with your naked eye, and getting even close is prohibitively expensive for the average player.

Your average player would be completely blind until around 1nm, which does not reflect reality at all. This would kill the WW2 and cold war communities who rely much more heavily on spotting than modern.

Edited by Sarowa

2 hours ago, Sarowa said:

Without dots, and without a suitable replacement (e.g. smart scaling), you're at the mercy of your display technology and various DCS graphical effects (or lack thereof) that may insufficiently replicate real life effects at long distances (e.g. sun glint). Even effects like contrails are invisible at long range until you zoom in, likely due to frustum culling. Even then, a computer display cannot perfectly replicate the detail you can see IRL with your naked eye, and getting even close is prohibitively expensive for the average player.

Your average player would be completely blind until around 1nm, which does not reflect reality at all. This would kill the WW2 and cold war communities who rely much more heavily on spotting than modern.

Yeah I get it. I have no idea why that was typed 3 times...weird. Hoping the dot pattern gets alittle better for VR, a little dot instead of a slash. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 10/23/2023 at 7:18 PM, -Sky- said:

I see huge dots from a distance for both air and ground targets, then they disappear when closer

I have a Quest 2 VR

Just chiming in, to say that I also have this issue.

(Reverb G1, GTX1080ti, i7-8700k)

With clear skies, I don't need to use my radar to find/see enemy aircraft. Pretty serious cheat if you ask me (although I don't do MP pvp myself 😉)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 10/23/2023 at 5:08 PM, Why485 said:

Units are visible in VR at unrealistically far ranges and are less visible at closer ranges.

That's the exact problem. Not the size of dots, but visibility in transition zone from dot to model. In 2.8 dot size was perfect in VR (for me at least) and there was no questions. And I'm sure it's only mater of size tuning.

But there was(and exists) a problem on distances when dot disappears. Plane just becomes invisible. No mater on sky background or on ground background.  There is a dot, then bigger dot, then bigger...... then dot disappears and you see nothing.  And it is a problem.

Edited by propeler
  • Like 1

I also find it impossible to spot in medium to short ranges. At long distance I clearly see the dots but at 3 miles the plane becomes transparent and disappears only to partially appear at half a mile with greenish frame. this phenomena persist in all FSR/nis/none modes. I've  been using the none MT dcs for that reason the last week. Hope it will get resoled in the future.

I'm using reverb g2 with a 6900xt on a Ryzen 5900x. 

On 10/24/2023 at 6:32 PM, Sarowa said:

In previous version of DCS there were no problem with dots. This time it is. Is there any solution to disable it?

Seems like they're bigger in MT than ST, but both look bad in my opinion. It would be great if they could be turned off or have the size adjusted for those who want them. Trying to use “DotRendererExperiment = False” in autoexec.cfg doesn't work for turning them off either.

• Like 3

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro
Matrix: @seven10:matrix.jointspecialforces.org

11 hours ago, seven10 said:

Trying to use “DotRendererExperiment = False” in autoexec.cfg doesn't work for turning them off either.

Known and acknowledged bug "currently" (not sure if this was changed in the hotfix or not, but was definitely bugged before it)

• Like 2

Agreed it needs tuning but for me VR Index user I find it better then in 2.8 with the Dot fix Mod. Problems I agree with:

• Dot to big and black at to long range. Should fade in more when closing in.
  • transition from dot to model is off. Goes from big black dot to invisible
  • When I should be able to I’d the target by zooming in it is fully covered by big black dot so id not possible. You have to wait for id until dot dissapears.
  • Use dots only for planes and ground targets not for parachutes, missiles, bombs etc.

My two cents.

Edited by RedeyeStorm
Auto correct
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bounti30 said:

Is it possible to revert to 2.8 in the meantime?

Just install the Stable version. It is version 2.8

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

To help pile on (maybe the more we chime in the more the Devs will prioritize fixing this), add me to the list of G2 users that preferred it the way it was before 2.9. These spotting dots are terrible, especially when parachutes and ground objects get the same treatment. 

And not to start a debate but only to give my own personal opinion… after flying for 23 years (civilian - airline and corporate Jets for almost 20 years), it’s hard for me in real life to visually acquire traffic in the flight levels greater than 5NM (unless they’re contrailing), let alone if it were a smaller profile military jet. So that being said, I think even prior to 2.9 it was sometimes too easy to spot aircraft at a distance. That’s just my opinion if we’re looking for realism, obviously it’s hard to satisfy everyone. 

• Like 1

TM Warthog, Oculus Rift, Win10...

I'll add my 2 cents.

For me its its needs to be tweaked, but not massively. I would work on 2 main areas, first reducing a bit (maybe 20-30ish per cent whatever that translate to) the size and blackness of the dots, to avoid very easy acquistion and second, polishing the transition from the dot to the LOD, which now is not working really well (easier to spot further out thant closer when the LOD transition occurss).

As a possitive for ED, i'm really glad they are working this problem trying to find solutions that satisfy most people. 

Also i really think that MP should be handled a bit different, so it can always be enforced by the server.

Me and my flight are flying with Pimax 5K and 8K and have the same problem with the exaggerated dots for air and ground targets. It's disappears from 2.5 nm. Looks like not a dot but mostly like a dirty blurry spot. Awful.  I want to add that due to long term complains from DCS community about spotting dots, 2.8 version was the best ever (looks like a bit to far visibility in horizon), but excellent tuned for middle ranges and close combat. 2.9 need to fix obviously!

Eagerly waiting for a fix from ED! 

Edited by Shmal
  • Like 1

Мой позывной в DCS: _SkyRider_

Мой канал YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

My callsign on DCS is: _SkyRider_

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

On 10/25/2023 at 7:01 PM, Liquid42 said:

I'm using reverb g2 with a 6900xt on a Ryzen 5900x.

So am I, and my experience is the same as yours. During dogfights the bandits are not rendered so I have to rely on F5-view to know where they are so I can manoeuvre my aircraft into position for a Vertical Scan lock... 🤔
I hope this gets fixed soon!

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

6 minutes ago, Bounti30 said:

null

Does anyone know if there is a date for a planned fix?
ED does not communicate too much on the subject.
Same for multithreading?

We know only what you know! 😉

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm using Valve Index and having a same issue (I can see huge blobs 30miles away).

For me, the problem is, it is not only unrealistic and ugly, it does not make any advantage nor spotting bogies better at all since "in visual range" all objects in the sky become closer to actual size.

In terms of a sense of distance in visual flight, those blobs are confusing me a lot especially when I try to catching up tankers or entering a formation from a distant location.

New feature may help some people who playing with an extremely big resolution but at least for me, the new visuality enhancement is absolutely overcoocked. I have never had any complain about 2.8 visuality.

Edited by Iriya
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So we have big black blobs that turn into invisible objects when in combat range and its near impossible to pick them out . 

When is there going to be a patch to clear this LOD up . its getting very frustrating now . 

Also ground targets seem hidden until close or near at tree top lever . Constant flying in circles looking for a hint of ground target . 

In bad weather we as a pilot cant see any hint of target  but the AAA and ground units see every thing . Even Tanks are getting dead eye hits .

When is this going to be fixed . ??  

Also bombs and rockets seem to hit targets yet remain alive or look alive .  . Where are the secondary explosions or damage with in distance gone . !!!  

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• ED Team

If you are discussing the new spotting we are aware of the issues in VR and there are many threads already. 

There is no one fix for all here so we are going to take our time to try and get things as best we can for all the different resolutions 2d and VR, you will need to continue to be patient. 

A toggle option to disable the dot spotting is coming soon 

/thread merged

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2