New spotting is great / New spotting is overcooked feedback thread

Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

I'm an Oculus Quest user, my spotting before wasn't the best, but I could see like most of us - an average mkI eyeball user. With the new spotting update, I can see way more, and by that, I mean everything, every dot is huge. Honestly, this is War Thunder level of mega dots you can see across the map. I can see everything and everywhere in the range of what I can estimate 50km. I know I can revert back to the old way. The problem with this is now I am going to be at a disadvantage compared to people who use the new spotting. Also, DLSS which I actually need makes them even bigger. I honestly think you guys have overdone it. Please consider reworking it.

Kisses and hugs

Edited by Licenceless
  • Like 1

I haven’t tried it yet but reading the description it sounds like the wrong idea. Spotting improvements should have reduced the dot size, not enlarged it.

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Lower resolutions would need smaller dots and higher resolutions like 3440x1440 and 4K would want bigger dots because of the increased pixel density. My UW is impossible to spot distant targets on sometimes in optimal circumstances like dark object against clouds at 1+ miles. My understanding was the dot size was static between resolutions, I.E. 1 pixel for example.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Licenceless said:

@SharpeXB I think what they did is they enlarged all the dots across the board so all VR users as well as 1080p users see even bigger dots than before.

The problem was that in 1080p distant aircraft were too visible. So now every res is like 1080p? That seems like a mistake. I’ll have to try it. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• ED Team
  • Solution

Hi, 

we will be taking in the feedback from everyone over the coming days and tweaking in future updates.

thank you

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I like the spotting very much in AERO at 39 PPD.

When there is the LOD change from dot to model, there are a few frames with a too big model. This seems to need some fine tuning, but it is not a issue as you can also spot before and after this transition. It does not improve your spotting ability to your advantage.

(I was not able to spot reliable at extented dog fight distances before 2.9, now I am able to spot at reasonable distances, but in no way at exessive distances.)

Edited by Motomouse
  • Like 1

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

I'm using a G2 and I thought spotting in VR was perfect previously. The best it has ever been. It was a sharp dot at a distance and now it is totally immersion breaking with a big black square. It's akin to playing with labels on.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

2 hours ago, Licenceless said:

I know I can revert back to the old way. 

How do you revert to the old way?

• Like 1

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

15 minutes ago, Nascar said:

How do you revert to the old way?

• In order to disable new “spotting dots” and revert to previous logic user can put “DotRendererExperiment = False” in autoexec.cfg file located in \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\ 
    If you don't have the file, you have to make one

Edited by Licenceless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This change is absolutely in the right direction.  It puts DCS far closer to WT/BMS/IL2 in terms of their solutions for spotting difficulties.  You have to compensate for the fact that your looking at stuff on a monitor and not with your actual eyes.  The old system was not good and a reversion back to it would be a massive step backwards.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

It’s not realistic. So it depends on whether you want the game to be a sim or not. And excessive visibility basically ruins BVR since there’s no reason to give yourself away using radar. You can now easily see another fighter at over 20 miles, the realistic range is much much shorter. Maybe 5-7 miles. 

I agree. Unfortunately for me, i have 1080p monitor, so that excessive visibility is all i know since forever. In good weather, i never ever locked a bandit with radar before i could easily see him visually. I was hoping that the 2.9 update would finally make spotting more realistic...

• Like 2

I’m on a 5120x1440p monitor and I’ve never seen a spotting dot in the years I’ve been playing.  Even now with “improved” spotting dot, theres no dots lol I can see the planes starting to render when they get close, but no dots on every enemy like what I see in VR. Do people on 4K monitors see these mystery dots? 1440p 16:9? I wonder if its just the odd aspect ratio? Right now nothing has changed for me 🤷‍♂️

To be more thorough: 2D 5120x1440, all graphics setting on max,  motion blur and DOF off, heat blur low. Sharpening at 1, LOD at 2,( msaax2, x4, DLSS, TAA  had no effect). Labels set to dot neutral.  

This morning I thought maybe I saw a spotting dot but it looked like literally 1 pixel. It could have been the plane starting to render in too, it wasn’t all that far away. I only noticed it because I knew a plane was there. Next to imperceivable if I wasn’t really, really looking hard for it. Nothing even remotely close to the dots I’ve seen in VR ( Quest 2 &3)

Edited by MadKreator
  • Like 3

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

vor 3 Stunden schrieb SharpeXB:

It’s not realistic. So it depends on whether you want the game to be a sim or not. And excessive visibility basically ruins BVR since there’s no reason to give yourself away using radar. You can now easily see another fighter at over 20 miles, the realistic range is much much shorter. Maybe 5-7 miles. 

Yes, but this has to work for all kinds of resolutions, everyone here has different hardware.  The thing certainly still gets fine tuning

BTW.   It would be helpful if pictures were posted of what distance the dots were actually seen, no feelings of "that might have been 20nm", what resolution  And graphic settings, there are many different reports of the new spotting

Edited by Hobel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

This is quite literally upping my hopes of finally being able to do some air to air stuff even remotely again. I've been having A LOT of spotting issues in DCS ever since (even before my eyes went bad), the only times I didn't was back in the olden days of LOMAC running at just 800x600 or 1024x768 (remind you, Lock On did have 2x2px black dots over every object at any distance) and when the 2.0 Alpha was a thing with those impostors that actually were too big and made it too easy even for me.

• Like 5

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

It's disgusting and unreal. I can not deactivate it adding the line in autoexec.cfg. Very nice to be able to increase visual settings with DLSS but not good to see a big dot at 30 NM from your position. This kind of demands has to be discussed with real pilots before being implemented, it's my point of view. In real aircraft operations when flying, it depends on weather, visual environment and more things, the distance from where you can have tally or visual can be different, but normally is below 5-10NM. My recommendation is to have the opportunity to deactivate as an option in DCS settings.

Enviado desde mi 21051182G mediante Tapatalk

• Like 7