DCS: Afghanistan FAQ

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, Wavehopper said:

I'm starting to get right off this company

Sorry to hear that, I hope we can do better for you in the future. If you have a question you are not sure about feel free to PM me. 

thanks

3 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I thought the whole map HD was $48 but if you bought the three sections separately it was $23 per section, making it $69? 

Price's are in the first post on the FAQ 

How Much Will It Cost?

Early adopters in the pre-purchase stage will enjoy special discounts. The pre-purchase phase is planned to end in June 2024 with the Early Access release of DCS: Afghanistan and DCS: Southwest Afghanistan.

Pre-purchase Early Access Release
DCS: Afghanistan $48.99 $55.99 $69.99
DCS: Southwest Afghanistan $23.99 N/A $29.99
DCS: East Afghanistan N/A N/A $29.99
DCS: North Afghanistan N/A N/A $29.99

DCS: East Afghanistan and DCS: North Afghanistan will not receive pre-purchase nor early access pricing. Please kindly note, the pricing above may be subject to change.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, SlipHavoc said:

Amazing how people can be so confused by something so simple...  If you want the whole map, buy the whole map.  If you only care about one part of Afghanistan, just buy that part.  If you just buy one part, you can still fly missions elsewhere, but the map will be in lower detail.  If you don't want them to be in lower detail, buy the whole map.  It used to be that you could only buy the whole map, and now you can still buy the whole map, but now since Afghanistan is huge and some people only care about some smaller part of it, they have the option to buy that smaller part, and yet are not completely locked out of playing on other parts.  This isn't exactly rocket science here.

ED should put this in readme.1st

• Like 2

Guys that are planning to wait for full release,

I paid 49$ for pre-purchase instead of 70$ at full release, the difference is 21$,

now when it fully releases it will be 21$ more for you that wait while we fly on new map and when it fully releases you'll have the same map as we do only you'll pay 21$ more for it, enough said 😛

Oh 4890 miles added mmmiles 😄

Edited by Furiz
  • Like 4

So as i see it each section is high detail when you buy them seperate, But the rest of the map will look basic. Unless you buy the whole map or a different section. Thats a simple way of putting it in one sentence, Than the essay. Thats all im saying.

7 minutes ago, Wavehopper said:

I'm willing to chew on the eccentricities of the sim if it means I get to have the newest and bestest high-tech flightsim toys.

• Like 5

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Coxy_99 said:

So as i see it each section is high detail when you buy them seperate, But the rest of the map will look basic. Unless you buy the whole map or a different section. Thats a simple way of putting it in one sentence, Than the essay. Thats all im saying.

Yes you will have high detail for the region you buy if you buy separately, but you will still be able to fly the whole terrain and see other regions in lower detail. 

Or you can buy the whole terrain and get all regions in high detail as they are completed during early access development.  

• Like 4

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It seems I missed the window to suggest pushing this terrain further East to feature more of the Indo-Pak-Chinese interface that has seen a more active history of aerial war where both sides of a given engagement tend to have air forces rather than being a COIN sandtable (which is not to say you didn't manage to squeeze a sliver of Kashmir in here, though if I'm following your infographic correctly it would be added in finished resolution at the very end of the roadmap? I'm just saying it would be nice to have more Himalayas and less sand). Afghanistan has some breathtaking terrain in a vacuum but its particularity means it has some baked in disadvantages for widest adoption by players who already have terrain choices, especially in the multiplayer community where high server pops are valued and playerbase fragmentation is a headwind for us. I think you are seeing most comments here range from puzzled to critical so like could you please try and sell us on why this specific approach with this specific map is something we should be excited/happy about?

Edited by mono

Afghanistan map, $48 minus accrued ED Miles=$30 out the door. No brainer   Excited for release day/month!
Exactly this! This is awesome and I can't for the release as I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully the other regions won't take too long!
Keep up the good work ED, though it seems the FAQ was too long or incomprehensible for some.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 4

@BIGNEWY @NineLine Is there a chance we can get side by side pictures of the lower details vs high detail? And if so maybe put it in the first post? Or just give a disclaimer like the higher details will have better 3d models vs lower 3d models or towns/cities will be more developed vs not so developed. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Tiromir said:

Are you guys going bankrupt? We're trying to figure it out and this is the only explanation that makes sense.

It won't go bankrupt because I just bought the Afghanistan map in its full version! An acquaintance also bought it and I'm sure many are doing the same right now.

• Like 8

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

• ED Team
9 minutes ago, mono said:

It seems I missed the window to suggest pushing this terrain further East to feature more of the Indo-Pak-Chinese interface that has seen a more active history of aerial war where both sides of a given engagement tend to have air forces rather than being a COIN sandtable (which is not to say you didn't manage to squeeze Kashmir in here, though if I'm following your infographic correctly it would be added in finished resolution at the very end of the roadmap? I'm just saying it would be nice to have more Himalayas and less sand). Afghanistan has some breathtaking terrain in a vacuum but its particularity means it has some baked in disadvantages for widest adoption by players who already have terrain choices, especially in the multiplayer community where high server pops are valued and playerbase fragmentation is a headwind for us. I think you are seeing most comments here range from puzzled to critical so like could you please try and sell us on why this specific approach with this specific map is something we should be excited/happy about?

The terrain is already a huge one so we have to draw a line somewhere. There are certainly many regions that would be great battlefields for DCS. Afghanistan has a long history of conflict and in DCS you can decide what type of mission you fly by creating any scenario you wish to, it is a sandbox for creativity. The only limitation is our own imagination. 

2 minutes ago, Tom P said:

@BIGNEWY @NineLine Is there a chance we can get side by side pictures of the lower details vs high detail? And if so maybe put it in the first post? Or just give a disclaimer like the higher details will have better 3d models vs lower 3d models or towns/cities will be more developed vs not so developed. 

I can certainly ask the team, maybe something we can show in a future newsletter or post.

1 minute ago, ThorBrasil said:

It won't go bankrupt because I just bought the Afghanistan map in its full version! An acquaintance also bought it and I'm sure many are doing the same right now.

Thank you for supporting our work!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

vor 40 Minuten schrieb BIGNEWY:

The team are focusing on performance and our new terrain technology is helping, of course the real test will be once you all get to try and give us feedback. 

Imo it would be nice to get some information on that before pre-ordering. Like, estimated, how much memory is full Afghanistan gonna be, how will does it perform at release (and later with more optimization) compared with Syria, for example?

I would expect high quality from the map, the trailer speaks for itself, but performance is always a big issue in DCS. Multithreading is nice, but object density, RAM/VRAM usage and disk usage is pushing a lot of systems to the maximum already.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

You can pre-purchase the full map of DCS: Afghanistan with a special 30% discount

Honestly, I would have preferred the Kola Map, as having another desert map and on top of that no coast to place a carrier (even if far) are fairly big cons for me. 

I will wait until the last week of May, and if Kola has not appeared by then, then I will likely pre-purchase the whole Afghanistan map … I will also need to spend some $$$ in upgrading my 1 TB ssd, let’s hope my wife is distracted while I do these purchases 🤫

• Like 5

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• ED Team
Just now, Temetre said:

Imo it would be nice to get some information on that before pre-ordering. Like, estimated, how much memory is full Afghanistan gonna be, how will does it perform at release (and later with more optimization) compared with Syria, for example?

I would expect high quality from the map, the trailer speaks for itself, but performance is always a big issue in DCS. Multithreading is nice, but object density, RAM/VRAM usage and disk usage is pushing a lot of systems to the maximum already.

I am using a development version, and I am seeing good frames and performance, I have a high end rig, specs in my signature below. 

But again the real test wil be when you get to try, if you are on the fence it maybe best to wait as we will do free trials eventually. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Wavehopper said:

Why though? Where have they wronged you?

Just imagine the option(!) to buy in three different pieces wasn’t there. How is it different to any other EA module/map? Don’t like EA? Wait for the full release. Don’t like the region as a map? Don’t buy it at all.

They just put another option on top. Emphasis on „option“. You don’t need to take it, and if you don’t it doesn’t affect you in the slightest.

• Like 8

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, sorry but there are currently no plans to add airfields from neighbouring countries.

Thank you for your reply.

Let me explain why this is a decision that can be improved upon.
Apart from the fact that Mary, Turkmenistan was the home of Авиабаза 1521, Мары - Центр боевого применения | Airbase 1521, Mary - Combat Operations Center or else known as Soviet Top Gun, this is the perfect home for the full fidelity MiG-23 and the MiG-29.

Additionally, together with the Kokaydy airport in Termez, Uzbekistan, they played a very important role for the Soviet Union's operations in Afghanistan from 1979 to 1989 for various aircraft that are available already or are coming soon to DCS World.
MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-29, Su-17/22, Su-25, Mi-24, Mi-8.
Since you mention "Soviet operations of the 1980s place Afghanistan as one of the most important combat theatres of the past half century." in your product description, it is only reasonable that we have the airports available to historically re-enact those operations and create scenarios that will bring the community together.
If you need more information, please do not hesitate to pm me.

Edited by Ronin_Gaijin
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 8

Авиабаза 1521, Мары - Центр боевого применения | Airbase 1521, Mary - Combat Operations Center

Авиабаза_1521_Мары_logo_extra_sm.png

Are you for real?

22366f7adb0d0875d5c10c883cc99b0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Why though? Where have they wronged you?

Just imagine the option(!) to buy in three different pieces wasn’t there. How is it different to any other EA module/map? Don’t like EA? Wait for the full release. Don’t like the region as a map? Don’t buy it at all.

They just put another option on top. Emphasis on „option“. You don’t need to take it, and if you don’t it doesn’t affect you in the slightest.

This cannot be stressed enough, those that want the entire map will most likely still buy the entire map and nothing really changes. 

• Like 6

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

vor 4 Minuten schrieb BIGNEWY:

I am using a development version, and I am seeing good frames and performance, I have a high end rig, specs in my signature below. 

But again the real test wil be when you get to try, if you are on the fence it maybe best to wait as we will do free trials eventually. 

Aye. Suppose ill wait for more detailed info when people start trying the EA. Your GPU/PC got a bunch more memory than anyone elses^^

Edited by Temetre

I suspect this is a preview of how the "world" map will work. 

I'm not against it. I would like to know if we'll be able to disable the high detail areas we don't want to currently use. A map this large will surely be a performance hog. 

• Like 4

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

47 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, sorry but there are currently no plans to add airfields from neighbouring countries.

Please consider Mary area and it's base, it's a critical historical part of Soviet aviation especially on eve of FF29/23 arrival. 

• Like 5

• ED Team
Just now, FlankerFan35 said:

Please consider Mary area and it's base, it's a critical historical part of Soviet aviation especially on eve of FF29/23 arrival. 

I will pass on your feedback but can not make any promises. 

thank you

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9