DCS: Afghanistan FAQ

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Gorn557:

Man, people sure love to complain. 

It looks like a great map.

I bought the map.

Done!

Did you make sure you bought the whole map? Or accidentally just the Southwest part?

Just saying as I had a very close call and luckily noticed in the shop when scrolling down... 😎

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Just now, shagrat said:

You start in the eastern area of the map part you bought (say KAF, Kandahar) fly south and everything is fine, now the server you joined spawns an action 20 NM east in the detailed area west of Kabul, that you don't own. If you fly in a group you can now disconnect and leave the server, or try to support your lead/wingman and pray you can identify what he sees... As in a MP environment you don't necessarily know beforehand where enemies or targets will present themselves. So you better buy the complete map anyway.

I mean, i get the idea to have an option to safe discspace, or buying peacemeal, but the reality is, it does make a lot of sense to get the whole map for less than $50 instead of paying 3 x $23 = $69 or more, but that requires to scroll and read through 3 paragraphs, where it should be the first option / message in bold and red.

Would have prevented a lot of drama. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I never bought the JF-17. Therefore I don't fly the JF-17. And one thing I never ever do is complain that I can't fly the JF-17, because I've had the option to buy it and never did. So it's a non-issue.

Fly what you buy. If you don't buy, then you can't fly. It's that simple. 

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 hours ago, DaWu said:

Maybe don’t comment if nothing to say and not understanding the massive problems it brings to MP

Honest question - given the info in the FAQ, can you provide detailed info on the massive MP problems you anticipate?

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Ronin_Gaijin said:

Thank you for your reply.

Let me explain why this is a decision that can be improved upon.
Apart from the fact that Mary, Turkmenistan was the home of Авиабаза 1521, Мары - Центр боевого применения | Airbase 1521, Mary - Combat Operations Center or else known as Soviet Top Gun, this is the perfect home for the full fidelity MiG-23 and the MiG-29.

Additionally, together with the Kokaydy airport in Termez, Uzbekistan, they played a very important role for the Soviet Union's operations in Afghanistan from 1979 to 1989 for various aircraft that are available already or are coming soon to DCS World.
MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-29, Su-17/22, Su-25, Mi-24, Mi-8.
Since you mention "Soviet operations of the 1980s place Afghanistan as one of the most important combat theatres of the past half century." in your product description, it is only reasonable that we have the airports available to historically re-enact those operations and create scenarios that will bring the community together.
If you need more information, please do not hesitate to pm me.

I am super excited for the FF MiG-29 9.12A to come to DCS. Currently I am 50/50 on the MiG-23MLA. The only reason I would even consider purchasing the Afghan map is for Mary; which is the home of excellence for both the MiG29 and the MiG23. With these three aforementioned modules coming to DCS, I do believe that it would be absolutely absurd, lazy, and insulting to RedFor to deny such a historically significant component that meshes all three modules together.   

I have a whole bunch of modules and I have come to understand rather clearly that having more modules does not in any way, shape, or form enhance my enjoyment of DCS. However, been part of a passionate and active DCS community (no matter if that community is focused on rotary wing aircraft, a specific type of aircraft, or even a RedFor/BlueFor faction) is what does make purchases justifiable and not a regrettable waste of money. Having the MiG-29, MiG-23, and Mary together would give birth to more communities of passionate DCS players, and that is something that I do want to be part of. I hope that ED does not deny such an experience. 

Having Mary, and a passionate community, would to me justify purchasing all three modules (29, 23, Afghan) comfortably. 

Edited by DisplayName
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Intel Core i5 13600K (not OC'd) (cooled via Noctua NH-U12A) | Asus Strix 4070Ti (not custom OC'd) | Corsiar Vengeance 64GB (4×16GB) 5,600MTs CL36 DDR5 | MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard | Corsair RM850x PSU | Windows 11 <|||> ThrustMaster H.O.T.A.S Warthog | VKB T-Rudder MkIV | VKB Gunfighter MkIV Ultimate | DelanClip Headtracker | Razer Tartarus V2 <|||> Normandy 2.0👍 The Channel | Syria👍 | WWII Assets Pack👎 | Combined Arms👎 | Super Carrier👍 | Mi24P Hind👍 | Ka50 BlackShark3❤️ | AH-64D Apache👎 | FC3👍 | Spitfire LF MkIX👍| F5E Tiger II❤️ | F-14A/B Tomcat👎 | F/A-18C Hornet❤️

8 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Yes, I did. And I assumed you were sarcastic. Then I read your second...

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

No one wants to read it all, I understand it but clearly theres quite a few that do not. And im certainly not being sarcastic, Its just the way i word things.

@BIGNEWY is this W.I.P for world map tech?

9 hours ago, Ronin_Gaijin said:

Thank you for your reply.

Let me explain why this is a decision that can be improved upon.
Apart from the fact that Mary, Turkmenistan was the home of Авиабаза 1521, Мары - Центр боевого применения | Airbase 1521, Mary - Combat Operations Center or else known as Soviet Top Gun, this is the perfect home for the full fidelity MiG-23 and the MiG-29.

Additionally, together with the Kokaydy airport in Termez, Uzbekistan, they played a very important role for the Soviet Union's operations in Afghanistan from 1979 to 1989 for various aircraft that are available already or are coming soon to DCS World.
MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-29, Su-17/22, Su-25, Mi-24, Mi-8.
Since you mention "Soviet operations of the 1980s place Afghanistan as one of the most important combat theatres of the past half century." in your product description, it is only reasonable that we have the airports available to historically re-enact those operations and create scenarios that will bring the community together.
If you need more information, please do not hesitate to pm me.

Mary base would be such a great addition and actually make so much sense to add...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

So just to confirm and im not confused with what was said, if NL or BN can confirm it based on the FAQ.

I buy the full map in June (lets say the end of it) get the Southwest region in high detail, the East and North in low detail, just saying im ok with this.

End of Sept (3 months), I would revive a map update adding the next high detail part (East Afghanistan)

End of Dec (3 months), I would receive a map update adding the next part (North Afghanistan)

Now if the time lines blow out, can I expect this to do what other ED modules have done and extend well out past your 3 month predictions ?? into years of waiting, I believe you know or should know how far each part is and should be able to at least share some insight if you want to give the community clarity with the way you are releasing this.

Thanks, not pre-ordered yet waiting to see how my questions are answered

Where does it say, remaining submaps will be released in 3 months interval?

Modules: all, except for the Dora

My missions: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/user-is-Don rudi/apply/

Primary system: i7-13700k, RTX 4080, 32 GB, Win 11, Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha with 5cm extension, Virpil CM2 throttle, Virpil Ace Interceptor pedals, Virpil Rotor TCS base + Blackshark grip, Winwing Triple MFD and ICP, 34" UWHQD screen
Acer Nitro i7-10700, RTX 3060, 64 GB, Virpiel Rotor TCS base + Blackhawk grip, Virpiel Ace Torq pedals, 34" UWHQD screen

8 minutes ago, Don Rudi said:

Where does it say, remaining submaps will be released in 3 months interval?

It says it here in the FAQ, but im not expecting ED to stick to that as they have never stuck to what they have said in the past about up and coming modules when they put these press releases out

null

image.png

Edited by Hotdognz
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
5 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

So just to confirm and im not confused with what was said, if NL or BN can confirm it based on the FAQ.

I buy the full map in June (lets say the end of it) get the Southwest region in high detail, the East and North in low detail, just saying im ok with this.

End of Sept (3 months), I would revive a map update adding the next high detail part (East Afghanistan)

End of Dec (3 months), I would receive a map update adding the next part (North Afghanistan)

Now if the time lines blow out, can I expect this to do what other ED modules have done and extend well out past your 3 month predictions ?? into years of waiting, I believe you know or should know how far each part is and should be able to at least share some insight if you want to give the community clarity with the way you are releasing this.

Thanks, not pre-ordered yet waiting to see how my questions are answered

Hi, 

We have passed our plans to you all and given an approximation of the development, the team are working hard, if all goes to plan you will get the other regions within the timeline. If not and we need more time we will let you all know. 

If you want to take advantage of the pre-order price and support us early we appreciate it, but understand that development is difficult and plans can change, if that is something you will not be happy with it may be best for you to wait for full release, either way when you do decide to purchase you will still be supporting our work and we are grateful.

thank you 

• Like 9

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I wonder if the Iraq map is going to be released in a similar way, given the initial focus seems away from the obvious (ODS/Kuwait) area?

Nice to see the CH-47 in the trailer, a great fit for this map and a prime candidate for an alternative campaign in that setting.

I agree with @Ronin_Gaijin RE the Turkmenistan airbases - It's not an area I am hugely familiar with, but given his justifications I hope it is something that ED will perhaps reconsider.

• Like 3

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

18 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

It says it here in the FAQ, but im not expecting ED to stick to that as they have never stuck to what they have said in the past about up and coming modules when they put these press releases out

null

image.png

Thanks! I read the FAQ twice and somehow managed to miss that line twice.

I feared it would be more like a one year interval, what kept me from pre-ordering.

• Like 1

My missions: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/user-is-Don rudi/apply/

Primary system: i7-13700k, RTX 4080, 32 GB, Win 11, Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha with 5cm extension, Virpil CM2 throttle, Virpil Ace Interceptor pedals, Virpil Rotor TCS base + Blackshark grip, Winwing Triple MFD and ICP, 34" UWHQD screen
Acer Nitro i7-10700, RTX 3060, 64 GB, Virpiel Rotor TCS base + Blackhawk grip, Virpiel Ace Torq pedals, 34" UWHQD screen

Pre-ordered.

I’ll go re-read some of the books/accounts that I have ref the area to better familiarise myself with some if the key locations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

11 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

We have passed our plans to you all and given an approximation of the development, the team are working hard, if all goes to plan you will get the other regions within the timeline. If not and we need more time we will let you all know. 

If you want to take advantage of the pre-order price and support us early we appreciate it, but understand that development is difficult and plans can change, if that is something you will not be happy with it may be best for you to wait for full release, either way when you do decide to purchase you will still be supporting our work and we are grateful.

thank you 

Thanks for answering my questions, I have just pre-order the full map (even though I said I wouldn't do EA) I'm a sucker for maps and screenshots looked great and its not all desert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
18 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

Thanks for answering my questions, I have just pre-order the full map (even though I said I wouldn't do EA) I'm a sucker for maps and screenshots looked great and its not all desert

19 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Pre-ordered.

I’ll go re-read some of the books/accounts that I have ref the area to better familiarise myself with some if the key locations.

Thank you for your support we appreciate it. I am sure you will enjoy once released, it is a great terrain. 

• Like 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

Thank you for your support we appreciate it. I am sure you will enjoy once released, it is a great terrain. 

@BIGNEWYwould you mind answering my question from a few pages back, if new assets are planned for the map? Currently all we have are two insurgent infantry units and with a little phantasy two types of technicals. By far not enough to build interesting missions. We'd need more insurgent and civilian assets and objects like the IEDs from the LLH Insurgent mod. Is there anything planned? (yes, I am aware of teased new US vehicles).

• Like 4

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Don Rudi said:

@BIGNEWYwould you mind answering my question from a few pages back, if new assets are planned for the map? Currently all we have are two insurgent infantry units and with a little phantasy two types of technicals. By far not enough to build interesting missions. We'd need more insurgent and civilian assets and objects like the IEDs from the LLH Insurgent mod. Is there anything planned? (yes, I am aware of teased new US vehicles).

Hi,
Other than already announced units and infantry improvements I have no other news to share. I have no ETA, the new infantry are in progress but not ready yet.

Thank you 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 часов назад, BIGNEWY сказал:

I will pass on your feedback but can not make any promises. 

thank you

Hello. I join the request to add the air bases of Mary and Termez - they will open up additional opportunities for gameplay and simulation of USSR combat operations in Afghanistan.

Also, Mig-29 fighters were based at these air bases, which will also increase the number of mission scenarios for this aircraft.

For example, you can make a campaign about testing the Ka-50 in Afghanistan (transfer the plot of the film “Black Shark” to DСS)

• Like 15

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

I guess it’s fairly obvious how much I love flying in DCS, so as a map, I’m really looking forward to it.

I’m old enough to remember the Soviet engagement there, so will be creating some missions for both the HIP and Hind.

As for the EA period, I see it as there being two options:

- we wait until next year for it to be “finished” and released in full.  Chances are that it would then need some work to resolve any “surprises” not spotted during testing

- buy the EA version now (a year ish earlier) and be able to help with user testing of any new technologies being used.  Doing it that way meaning faster identification of “areas of opportunity” and a more efficient final release.  Putting that another way, hopefully means I get to play sooner, and reduce dev costs for ED.

Edited by Mr_sukebe
  • Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

As for the EA period, I see it as there being two options:

- we wait until next year for it to be “finished” and released in full.  Chances are that it would then need some work to resolve any “surprises” not spotted during testing

- but the EA version now (a year ish earlier) and be able to help with user testing of any new technologies being used.  Doing it that way meaning faster identification of “areas of opportunity” and a more efficient final release.  Putting that another way, hopefully means I get to play sooner, and reduce dev costs for ED.

As always with early access the user feedback and bug reports help us make a better product. 

thanks

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NineLine said:

Nope, the coast is too far. It would impact performance not to mention it would be a hella long flight. 

That is an extreme pity. In the trailer the map looked fantastic, but without the ability to use my main module in a propper way I can't see much sense for me to own this map. And we are losing an important part of the whole "war on terror" issue in general. I was hoping the tech can do more in 2024. But I'm sure the devs would love to do more themselves if only they could. 

Oh, but the long flight thing: Not even 300 NM from the southern border to the coast. In my squadron we fly those missions every week and keep on station for a few hours often with a few visits at the tanker. 

Edited by SteelPig
  • Like 2

Hi! (^o^)/

I have a question regarding the free hard disk space nedeed provided by the store pages for both the Full Afghanistan Map and the Southwest Afghanistan Map. As they both recommend 120+ GB, I wonder if just the Southwest Afghanistan requires that much and, as the other parts release, they will be added upon the 120+ GB on the Full Afghanistan or if the 120+ GB is an estimate to the full sized map.

I know that you guys might not have an exact number for how big it will be but would still appreciate if you could clarify that. 

I look foward for this and other future products,
and keep up the good work! \(^o^)