Meet and Greet

• 3 weeks later...

Flightsim newbie says hi

Hi folks,

After silently lurking around in this forum for months, I thought it might be about time that I said hello! So there you go: Hello!

I'm quite impressed by the overall friendly atmosphere here, and the many people who actively help others!

As the title suggests, I'm relatively new to flight sims. I have good excuses for that though! (poor quality 10+ years ago when I checked last; lack of "gaming" rig; lack of time etc)

Anyway, I came across DCS World a couple of months ago, and although I have barely scratched the surface of any of the modules (bought them all :music_whistling:) I love it! Now, lacking any previous flight sim experience or skills, the learning curve is steep. Steep as a wall, actually. :D But I love a good challenge, and who would have thought that it can be so rewarding to get that bird off the ground (with the full manual startup routine), or even land it without accident! :pilotfly:

(Still working on the latter with my favourite whirly bird, the Huey)

I recently replaced my "gaming" laptop (it had a nice GPU and spec for a laptop, but it was close to melting under DCS' requirements). Now I've got a fairly powerful rig. I use it for work mostly, but couldn't resist to get the new GTX780 Ti, which means DCS will become all the more enjoyable!

The bad news for you guys: It probably also means that I may torpedo --I mean vikhr-- you with newbie questions. :doh:

So anyway, see you guys out there (once I found a newbie friendly EU server)! I'll be the one with the parachute... easier to land safely!

My humble rig: Windows 10 pro 64bit; i7-6700k on Gigabyte Z170X G7; 32GB; MSI 980ti Twin Frozr; 512GB Samsung 950 Pro (NVMe/PCIe x4); 1TB Samsung 850 Pro; Komplete Audio 6; TrackIR 5 Pro;

DCS 2.5 with almost all modules; favourites: Shark, Mi-8, Harrier, Viggen, Mirage, Hornet

So anyway, see you guys out there (once I found a newbie friendly EU server)! I'll be the one with the parachute... easier to land safely!

Welcome Lucifah! The Virtual Aerobatics Server is a euro server and welcomes new folks. It's flying & formation only, no weapons. You should feel safe to come on over when you want to try the multiplayer option of DCS. We're running it on the 1.2.7 beta version at the moment.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Good Day Gentleman,

to - at last - show my good manners, I want to official say hello to the great community of DCS.

I first posted on the bugs section several months ago with a technical issue and was quite astonished by the good support , not only from ED, but also from the community.

I played and loved "Sims" all my life, with my best buddy. Back to Fighter Bomber on Amiga, Aces over Europe, F117 Nighthawk, Falcon 3.0, Gunship 2000 if you remember some of those. Came back to flying with IL2 - 1946, flew a lot for some time on the Skies of Fire Server with the same nick.

Fell in love with DCS and bought and configured my hole new PC around it :)

Currently playing and training the A10C and Ka50, some time we will see online, Gentleman!

I am looking forward to it, best greets from Austria!

Welcome Lucifah! The Virtual Aerobatics Server is a euro server and welcomes new folks. It's flying & formation only, no weapons. You should feel safe to come on over when you want to try the multiplayer option of DCS. We're running it on the 1.2.7 beta version at the moment.

Thanks Steve! I'll see that I get around to installing the beta in the coming days, practice a little more, and then I'll certainly check out the server soon!

My humble rig: Windows 10 pro 64bit; i7-6700k on Gigabyte Z170X G7; 32GB; MSI 980ti Twin Frozr; 512GB Samsung 950 Pro (NVMe/PCIe x4); 1TB Samsung 850 Pro; Komplete Audio 6; TrackIR 5 Pro;

DCS 2.5 with almost all modules; favourites: Shark, Mi-8, Harrier, Viggen, Mirage, Hornet

Hello Everyone, My name is Surakon/Grim Raven

Finally installed DCS World and bought FC3. I have everything loaded/installed and running OK it looks like. Did some training missions to get started. First noob question would be, is there any keyboard layouts/assignments that I could print out, man that's a lot of keys to remember lol. I tried looking in the files a bit couldn't find anything.

Anyways, I have done many flight sims, currently flying in another game but bored. Would appreciate any and all help available

Pleasure meeting you all, See you in the skies soon I hope.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi welcome.

Yep sure go to options -> controls -> pick the aircraft you want then select make html quit the game and there should be a folder open waiting for you with the files in it to print out am using windows 7.

If not goto C:\Users\*computer_name*\Saved Games\DCS\InputLayoutsTxt folder and you'll find them in there once you've clicked make html.

Edited by TimeKilla
Adding more information.

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

Hello all, I've been lurking around for some time, regularly checking the forums and other stuff.

I am an avid Russian and Soviet military kit fan so that leads on to me saying the Su-25 is my favourite aircraft :)

I play occasionally on multiplayer but it's not the same flying solo so I will have a look at some of the units knocking around.

Hello,

I am Splash90 (Mark middle aged sim head) thought it was about time to introduce myself, I have been milking this site for a long time and would have been dead in the water without it, I would like to thank the whole community who have unknowingly helped me and the ED team for such a great product.

I promise to behave and will be very patient and make no mention of release dates for future modules. ? although I am gagging for an F18.

I have been playing flight simulators (military ones of course) since the days of TFX on the 286 computers where a megabyte was considered big. That said, I am not claiming to be good pilot, far from it.

I am currently on the final stages of building my home cockpit with the usual toys, MFD'S, switch panels and mock up ejector seat, just the the detailing to be done when the better weather arrives. Hopefully will post some pictures of its construction later.

Please excuse any mistakes, am new to this posting stuff.

Have a good new year, hope that I can fly ( badly ) with some of you in the future.

Regards Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the DCS world. The shark can be a hand full. But once you get it down it is a force to be reckoned with. Just so you know the FC3 aircraft will seam to be a game to you. At this point they don't have a AFM and are more of a gaming feel to them. no clickable cockpit. Good luck and have fun.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks..

Craig from canada here and im so new that almost need to be wearing a diaper..

Did some early flight sim stuff on my ole trusted c-64 and eventually moved up to a pc style sim..

I have a few older sims like lock on,a few ww2 style sims and mind you most of what i have are basic...The most detailed sims i have is the lock on and falcon 4.0 and the 4.0 allied force...Those babys have a ton of dust..

Other than downloading dcs,what else do i need or should have..Things as runway charts,common terms used in radio chatter,emergency procedures ect..

My pc is now up to date with lotsa speed,memory and power(dont ask me the specs cause i dont know off hand)

This site has me hooked and my biggest probs are...

1..Where to start

2..Learning materials/manuals/training ect

3..Getting my hotas cougar set up(new sence 2006 but never used)..

Im trying to score two more monitors the same as the one i have now but im not home for a few days to get started..Life of a trucker eh..

PM me or email me or something with a list from one of you guys that have been around to show me the ropes and direction of this killer site..

3..M

The "SCALES" of aeronautical performance will weigh heavily on your next move..

The Hi folks,

I've been playing flight Sims on and off for 20 years or so going back to the Lightening simulator on the Sinclair Spectrum! Recently got a PC after a few years on consoles and found DCS....wow what an amazing simulator.

I have DCS A10C, Flaming Cliffs 3 (purchased last week) and Black Shark 2 (not tried yet bought in Steam sale).

Thanks for help already received from this forum and I look forward to learning more as well as supporting DCS to ensure it carries on for many years to come. I'm hoping to 'fly' online soon when I can find the time.

Worther_1

DCS Black Shark 2, A10-C, Huey, MiG-21bis, Hawk, Flaming Cliffs 3, F/A-18, Nevada Terrain.

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team
Hi folks. New to the DCS world, having come from a heavy Flight Sim X background. Very much a rotary pilot as opposed to fixed wing these days.

Hope to fly with some of you soon!

Welcome to DCS and the forums

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Names Andy from the UK bricklayer by trade, strange thing is i`m scared sh**less flying but i love flightsims.

Hey, I imagine I'd be scared of firefights but I love a bit of Battlefield 4 ;)

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, name is Luke (actually Luca, "Luke" is the "international version"),

some of you may know me as tf_neuro, of the 68 sq. The FoxBats (aka Luke771 on websites not related to combat flightsims)

I'm born and raised in Naples, Italy; lived in different countries for a number of years, but as the Big Five-Oh approached I started to feel kind of homesick and moved back to Italy.

On a number of forums and game servers, I earned a reputation as a major @$$hole and impossible to get along with, and frankly, I'm almost proud of that. The "problem" is actually a total lack of diplomacy and a bad habit of calling things by their names rather than using politically correct euphemisms, both things that tend to annoy stupid people.

There's only one thing that I wanted to do as long as I can remember, and that's flying.

I didn't get a chance to do that until recently (some three years ago) so I used to compensate by playing flight sims: started with MSFS but I got bored of it pretty quickly, then I discovered the old IL-2, joined a bunch of squadrons over time but I never could get along with them, so eventually I started my own squadron where no one can kick me out. As you can expect, it's a pretty small squadron, but all like-minded: hardcore simulations, an interest in history and RL flying, and no need for political correctness. If you want to visit us, we're at http://foxbats.foorumi.eu

As IL-2 eventually became obsolete (and it lasted awfully long), we tried a number of new games, including the highly anticipated (and released with a "two weeks" delay) Cliffs of Dover, the WWI sim Rise of Flight, and only later DCS.

Our interest in DCS increased when the P-51 was released, and a lot more when we heard of the WWII project: all of our squad members backed the project to different degrees, and all of us are enjoying the Fw-190 right now. Personally, I can't wait to try the me-262: it was fairly tricky to fly even in the old IL-2, so I can only assume that it would be a real challenge in DCS, with all systems modeled, performance and limitations close to the real thing... in fact, I heard of players being against the idea of a flyable 262 because they thought it would be invincible. I think they will find out that yes, it can be invincible if you learn to fly it properly, but that's not going to be easy (and besides, even in the hands od an uber-ace, the 262 is still extremely vulnerable on take off and landing, but that's another story)

Back to my presentation: I'm playing a lot less flight sims since I got a watchman/handyman job at a small airfield for ultralights, (off-the-grid power, currently not sufficient for my gaming box) but I can still manage to get on line with the squadron for a few hours once a week or so. Right now we're in the process of regrouping after a few months of inactivity, and learning how to fly DCS planes under the guidance of our own (virtual) test pilot, instructor, and overall aircraft genius tf_t4trouble.

We hope to be able to put up a serious fight within a few months, but much depends on how much each member is able to attend our training sessions.

nxASlho.jpg

This is me in my "watchman uniform"

I thought of setting up a sign reading "beware of the crazy watchman" but the owner vetoed it.

pEfNAiV.jpg

This is me with Leone (Italian for "Lion"), my deputy watchman and intruder detection system.

Below: me flying my Comco-Ikarus C-22 Fox

...and that's all for the presentation.

See you in the virtual skies for a good virtual fight

S!

Hey everybody. I'm new here but been sim flying on and off for the past 20 years or so. I used to haunt Frugal's world back around 2000ish when I was hot on Falcon 4.

I flew MSFS for a long time too then I put away simming for a while. I found DCS:W about 2 weeks ago and I'm having the best experience I've had in a long time. Just want to say Hi and introduce myself. Hope to see you in the air once I shake the rust off.

Blue Skies!!

New Rig: Win 7 Home, EVGA x99 Classified, i7-5820K, ZOTAC GTX 980 Amp! Omega, 16GB 2600MHz Corsair Quad Channel RAM, Sandisk Extreme Pro 490 GB SSD, EVGA Supernova 850 G2 PS : Hotas Cougar, CH Fighter Stick, Pro Pedals, Cougar MFD's, CH Throttle Quadrant

• 3 weeks later...