DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not worried about the size of the map, as it's new tech and a new game engine. We have to crawl before we can walk right.

Anyway Wags has already clearly stated bigger is better, so I'm pretty confident he has even bigger plans hidden up his sleeves to surprise us with.

As it is, this map looks stunning, not to mention Nevada which I loved flying around in the beta all those years ago. :)

The future is extremely bright for us dcs simmers.

The only decision is carrier ops, or rotary ops.

Now that is a hard choice. :)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Not worried about the size of the map, as it's new tech and a new game engine. We have to crawl before we can walk right.

Anyway Wags has already clearly stated bigger is better, so I'm pretty confident he has even bigger plans hidden up his sleeves to surprise us with.

As it is, this map looks stunning, not to mention Nevada which I loved flying around in the beta all those years ago. :)

The future is extremely bright for us dcs simmers.

The only decision is carrier ops, or rotary ops.

Now that is a hard choice. :)

Cowboy10uk

Both, Carrier Based Rotor Ops :)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Mmmmmmmmmm bloody tease. ;)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Right now with the 2 separate processes I am able to run the GUI as a window while the sim in full screen. Will I be able to do that with the new unified GUI

From my understanding, no. As the simulation would be ran using the same EXE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 2500k; GTX 660Ti; 8GB DDR3; Win7 64bit SP1

DCS World; A10C; FC3; UH-1; BS2; Mi-8; CA; Su-25t

Ever waiting for the F/A 18

The news of the new gulf map and DCS 2.0 is very good to hear.

I decided to take a break from DCS some time ago until EDGE and a new map was released and I was kind of bummed at the prospect of Nevada being the only EDGE map for some time.

So this news is great to hear, DCS 2.0 and a 2nd new map.

The selected area is a great choice too, lots of water & sand, makes a lot of sense. And a great location for hypothetical scenarios.

Same deal for me. I took a break from DCS for the last few months, mostly because of the current engine. Things have been bugging me more than usual with it, and I'm assuming it's because of what I know about the improvements on the horizon, I will gladly wait. January is going to be a fun time for me, especially if DK2 works with ATI cards.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

DK2 Works with AMD Cards in DirectX 11 Games.

You sir, just made my day. Just one more reason I can't wait for 2.0 to be released. :joystick:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

EDGE ---- supposed to be...... faster??

i keep seeing people making comments to the effect of EDGE bringing faster framerates

idunno but an "improvement" in detail and appearance doesn't usually make for faster framerates - not in my experience with computers - as the saying goes, TANSTAAFL - there-aint-no-such-thing-as-a-free-lunch

not to burst anybody's bubble but i have a feeling EDGE is going to demand a lot more out of our hardware and things will be...... (wait for it) SLOWER

am i completely out to lunch here? is there something i'm missing??

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with this 100% and if you dont have the hardware you will suffer is what im expecting. Well that is if you run everything maxed out. I honestly hope these new improvements are jaw dropping and push our hardware to the max!

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

EDGE supports DX11. The current engine does not.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Interesting thesis.

However, I would think that the way a code is written has quite a bit to do with how fast something can be interpreted by a computer's CPU and processed by the GPU

I would think that the drivers also play a large role in frame rates for a GPU. The current engine is 20 years old.....what happens when you try and run a 20 year old program on windows 8? Quite sure most 20 year old games require dosbox in order to make it run correctly. Reading back through the past and looking at the future......quite sure EDGE will run faster than the current engine.

can a 32 bit program run on a 64 bit system with out being modified? Everytime I try and run the original chuck yeager or B-17 It crashes and I need dosbox. The current engine was designed for a 32 bit system and modified to run on a 64 bit system. EDGE being designed on a 64 bit system and made to run on a 64 bit system will show vast improvements than the current engine.

Well im holding on to some faith that yes it will be a more effecient and faster engine, but not all dx11 games run faster compared to dx9. DX11 is not a end all be all to fast effecient fps and awesome looking graphics. Like you said it all depends on the engineering of the engine lol

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Based on same graphics features and engine, yes more effects does mean lower performance, but as EDGE is using DirectX 11 and currently DCS uses DirectX 9, and many effects are being redone, this rule no longer applies.

No longer active in DCS...

DX11 is not a end all be all to fast effecient fps and awesome looking graphics.

True. I am thinking positive here. If ED expects to produce continuous 75fps, in order to support the Rift, then they must know something. I can't quite imagine them expecting Rift users to have GTX 980's in SLI in order to get usable performance.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I dont know bro hope thats not the case but i have SLI 770 4gb cards to play dcs more than maxed out in 3D. Epic it is but takes some hardware to do it. I honestly think we all will be pleasantly surprised when they start releasing videos and such of dcs 2.0 other than what we have seen so far.