DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

In retrospect, I don´t think ED has posted too many images with such obvious WIP-flaws in them, so who knows...
Fine, you made me do this.

So can anyone tell me if this triangle in the middle is a mistake or if it is supposed to be that color? That is the first thing I noticed when I saw the picture for the first time. I didn't even notice the cloud thing until someone else pointed it out.

1GDkv9H.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can anyone tell me if this triangle in the middle is a mistake or if it is supposed to be that color?

Looks like a hole in model geometry.

Okay, so then it's a Georgia map issue and not an EDGE issue..

This is (probably) an issue with the part of the engine that handles weather and they just didn't fix it yet, since it's WIP. Clouds has nothing to do with a map.

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

was just trying to be an optimist, lol.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

After reading your later response and apology and how we thought you were trolling (And I am sure now that you were not) I went back and re-read your post with the point of view of someone who has never been here before and now I think you were asking a legitimate question and we gravely misunderstood what you were asking...

If you were asking "How is it that with just 2 simple photos, folks can discern so many details?" IF that was what you were trying to ask, then the answer is that many of the folks on this forum are extremely knowledgeable about aircraft, others about computers, programming you name it... The programmers in the bunch can look at those 2 seemingly insignificant pics and can pick out details that speak VOLUMES about EDGE and where the new engine is heading.. (For example there are some effects that are being shown that can only be replicated using DX11. The current engine only utilizes DX9 and is quite a bit behind the times... EDGE will boast DX11.. )

The aircraft experts will look at those pics and see a Russion bird of some sort (I am not a Russsian bird expert so I have no idea but I can guarantee folks will pipe up and let us know shortly!) They will also point out the very crisp cockpit and how awesome the lighting is...

Finally, several posts have been added regarding the curvature of the earth that is demonstrated in one of the pics.. This has been a die hard fan issue for some time and once again points out that EDGE is addressing some of the long time questions / issues folks have had..

So with that in mind I apologize if I misread your comment and shot down a legitimate question... We are used to some folks trolling and unfortunately are quite sensitive to it.

I hope this does not discourage you from posting in the future... We really do appreciate opinions and questions... :thumbup:

Thank you! That was kind of a info I was looking for, and yes... it did kinda look like trolling so no need to apologize or anything.

Rereading most of posts made me realize the level of knowledge most people here have and their envolvement.

• Like 1

Thank you! That was kind of a info I was looking for, and yes... it did kinda look like trolling so no need to apologize or anything.

Rereading most of posts made me realize the level of knowledge most people here have and their envolvement.

Glad you are taking it in stride. Unfortunately I think you might have just picked the wrong time to comment, I know I'm having a really off day (poor Cornbread:() and maybe others might be having an off day as well. Your post unfortunately came across the wrong way (I'm guilty in that assumption, twice over actually), and with ED having gone silent before after some people gave unnecessary "criticism" or trolling made to appear like criticism, things can get rowdy. Hopefully you understand it wasn't anything personal towards you, it was just bad timing and a misunderstanding.

• Like 1

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

I thought this was dense cumulus cloud cover, other than the distant shoreline. Sorry if this has been answered haven't gone through the whole thread.

Despite DCS' fidelity, the graphics and images have always been artificial and a bit plasticy.

(Sobek, good moderator, but your reality was checked at the door)

smile.gif

I also think it's cloud cover with a few mountain peaks popping through the clouds.

Dunno...

Carson-City-Nevada-1_photo.jpg

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

@ Dudester...

It is a real shot, of Carson City and Lake Whateveritis somewhere in Nevada.

A question put forward earlier regarding cloud cover and location came up... heat haze, not cloud and completely different looking terrain to the Wags posted works in progress, which has clearly been pointed out as being the current standard Georgia map.

of note was the heat hazing

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Tahoe.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thats some seriously funny s!@#

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

I think NDA might restrict us going into detail about what is in the screenshots (unless it has been announced by Wags). Remember this is still a WIP in Testing.... Not to mention, EDGE on the old map...

THIS is the only data I keep. Knowing the IG is still WIP and the maps to be integrated, I find amazing that ED would finally port the current map into EDGE since it was stated a while back that it wouldn't be possible without a major re-design. Thanks ED. Maybe the next step is a video to see all that in motion? Please, please, please...

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

I find amazing that ED would finally port the current map into EDGE since it was stated a while back that it wouldn't be possible without a major re-design.

I think you misunderstood. The major redesign would be necessary for georgia to take complete and full advantage of all EDGE features. It was (at least by me) always viewed as the more feasible possibility that the old map would be made to run in the new IG. As it is now, there are improvements for georgia as well, but it doesn't include the full range of features that EDGE provides.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Are these two pics of the Georgia map or Nevada map? If they are of Georgian map then what has happened to the Nevada map all of a sudden? Last I saw of that was back in December and at that time it's release looked like it was just around the corner. I know they mentioned they had gating issue or something, but is this still the case 3 months on?

Are these two pics of the Georgia map or Nevada map? If they are of Georgian map then what has happened to the Nevada map all of a sudden? Last I saw of that was back in December and at that time it's release looked like it was just around the corner. I know they mentioned they had gating issue or something, but is this still the case 3 months on?

All pics of Nevada were from the terrain viewer, not the engine. The gating issue is still getting the engine set up and ready.

Come let's eat grandpa!

All pics of Nevada were from the terrain viewer, not the engine. The gating issue is still getting the engine set up and ready.

Does this also apply to the Georgia map aswell? Or are we likely see Georgian map with the new render before we see Nevada?

Edited by Dudester22

Does this also apply to the Georgia map aswell? Or are we likely see Georgian map with the new render before we see Nevada?

The pics from georgia are from the new renderer.

Come let's eat grandpa!