Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I have a question, how is the FoV wider if both eyes are seeing a slightly diferest version of the same thing?

It's not the same image at all. Each eye gets its own image and the images are offset by the IPD (eye distance, basically). Therefore the left eye can see more on the left side of the head and the right eye sees more on the right side. Both eyes put together equal a larger field of view, in the same way our own eyes work. Close your right eye and look to the left and you'll not see as much as when looking with only your left eye. This is what gives the illusion of depth in VR and is exactly how we perceive depth in the real world.

I hope my explanation is not too confusing. If you watch other Rift videos that are using proper implementations, you can see that on the outside edges of each side that there are objects that only appear in one view, i.e. the left wing will appear only in the left eye and not in the right eye.

Edited by Razi
typo

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of FPS are you guys getting with the Rift and what graphics settings are you using?

Thanks.

Chain

I cant see the frame rate counter in rift view,its not readable

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

My problem seems to be directly a framerate problem. As mentioned earlier in this thread FPS around 30 and quick head turns can make you sick and you get a lot of tearing. I need to try other Nvidia drivers and see if that helps with the Rift framerate. I am getting very good framerates with 1080p resolution so something is wrong here. Perhaps Oculus mode is still unoptimized.

Chain

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

+ High fidelity F/A-18C simpit :)

My problem seems to be directly a framerate problem. As mentioned earlier in this thread FPS around 30 and quick head turns can make you sick and you get a lot of tearing. I need to try other Nvidia drivers and see if that helps with the Rift framerate. I am getting very good framerates with 1080p resolution so something is wrong here. Perhaps Oculus mode is still unoptimized.

Chain

Check the thread in the link below. You may find solutions to address some latency/framerate/tearing issues:

cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

Chain

The scene needs to be rendered twice, hence lower performance.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

This looks sooooo good, I am finding it hard to resist the DK2.

Come on CV1 show yourself.............

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

Anyone get this working with an AMD graphics card and the DCS World.. Steam version???? I have tried everything I can think of to get anything other than a black screen. For all you who have it working ....with all due respect please keep it to yourself!!!! Just kidding ...but seriously keep it to yourself. If I see another video of it working ..im just gonna....snap!!!

Oculus owes me the money I put into my last setup...

May never use it again.

It's not the same image at all. Each eye gets its own image and the images are offset by the IPD (eye distance, basically). Therefore the left eye can see more on the left side of the head and the right eye sees more on the right side. Both eyes put together equal a larger field of view, in the same way our own eyes work. Close your right eye and look to the left and you'll not see as much as when looking with only your left eye. This is what gives the illusion of depth in VR and is exactly how we perceive depth in the real world.

I hope my explanation is not too confusing. If you watch other Rift videos that are using proper implementations, you can see that on the outside edges of each side that there are objects that only appear in one view, i.e. the left wing will appear only in the left eye and not in the right eye.

I realize they are slightly offset of one another but it seems that it's so small that it's neglegible. Does is make that much of a diference? Both eyes I mean. When I close one of my eyes in the real world it seems that I am losing much more (quite a few degrees) of FoV as oposed to the images I've seen from the rift that seem to be 1 or 2 degrees offset tops.

The thing that worries me most about the consumer version of the rift is that I'm probably going to wind up selling a kidney and buying a pair of Titan Z's just to get nice frame rates with everything maxed out...

This will be the greatest thing to ever happen to the PC hardware market.

3 year old graphics cards and slow CPU's just aren't going to cut it anymore.

Low frame rates are annoying but acceptable to some people on PC monitors but in VR it will be like a pneumatic drill going off inside your head.

Edited by howie87

The thing that worries me most about the consumer version of the rift is that I'm probably going to wind up selling a kidney and buying a pair of Titan Z's just to get nice frame rates with everything maxed out...

This will be the greatest thing to ever happen to the PC hardware market.

3 year old graphics cards and slow CPU's just aren't going to cut it anymore.

Low frame rates are annoying but acceptable to some people on PC monitors but in VR it will be like a pneumatic drill going off inside your head.

I have the same fear. I'm a big fan of x-plane and although I built a new PC last year I don't see myself having the grunt to get high enough frame rates in that sim. I think I'll be ok with DCS unless EDGE brings much higher demand. I read a lot of comments saying less will mean more in the rift. In other words turning down eye candy in favour of much higher frame rates.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

so i went to a VR meet today. i tried Euro truck and Heli Hell... i have to say

amazing!

resolution is poor, but the 3d effect is amazing..

cant wait for CV1

Heli Hell is insane,my stomach drops big time,just like in a real helo,that is the one thing missing from DCS in VR,my stomach doesnt drop or flutter at all.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I realize they are slightly offset of one another but it seems that it's so small that it's neglegible. Does is make that much of a diference? Both eyes I mean. When I close one of my eyes in the real world it seems that I am losing much more (quite a few degrees) of FoV as oposed to the images I've seen from the rift that seem to be 1 or 2 degrees offset tops.

The offset is minimal even in real life.. unless you're a gecko. While the FOV L/R is much higher (around 45° on each side because of the nose), but the DK1 doesn't provide a FOV similar to the human eyes (you can't see much on sides), this is why the images looks very similar to you (coz a large part that should exists on the sides.. is missing).

Just to get back on topic: with the new Vizualizer.dll, I think DCS is the #1 Rift/VR flight simulator. Amazing framerates, tracking, and 3D. It is really almost perfect. Hopefully the yaw drift can be minimized further, but it is OK as long as I have a recalibrate buttion on the joystick.

I don't have any IPD or border issues (they did exist before the latest Visualizer.dll).

For a moment I was so immersed that I felt I could reach out and flip the switches myself.

I used to fly DCS with a TrackIR 3-screen setup, and I kept thinking to myself (while in VR) how primitive that was compared to a modern 360° 3D interface. Once the resolution improves to allow reading of the HUD and MCFD's, VR pilots will reach a new level of air superiority.

The hardest part now will be for us to learn to fly these complex aircraft without being able to see the keyboard.

Hi airmen,

Just came aboard to confirm that IPD and 3D scale look good now.

Latency is ok, FOV can be better (the screen is not totally filled).

Keep up the good work !

I agree. The FOV is off due to black borders. The rendered image is not filling the rift display. This has nothing to do with lenses or distance from eyes. I removed the lenses to confirm. The rendered image is not making use of the full display like other rift software does.

Apart from that and yaw drift it's really good.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Just to get back on topic: with the new Vizualizer.dll, I think DCS is the #1 Rift/VR flight simulator. Amazing framerates, tracking, and 3D. It is really almost perfect. Hopefully the yaw drift can be minimized further, but it is OK as long as I have a recalibrate buttion on the joystick.

I don't have any IPD or border issues (they did exist before the latest Visualizer.dll).

For a moment I was so immersed that I felt I could reach out and flip the switches myself.

I used to fly DCS with a TrackIR 3-screen setup, and I kept thinking to myself (while in VR) how primitive that was compared to a modern 360° 3D interface. Once the resolution improves to allow reading of the HUD and MCFD's, VR pilots will reach a new level of air superiority.

The hardest part now will be for us to learn to fly these complex aircraft without being able to see the keyboard.

agreeed. i hated using trackIR and will never get used to TrackIR. 1:1 FTW!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

agreeed. i hated using trackIR and will never get used to TrackIR. 1:1 FTW!

On the other side, while also waiting for good rez Rift, I upgraded to 3 x 3D FullHD screens + TrackIR, for DCS it is much more usable, and I can comfortably fly long flights with a nice cup of tea, while having really good immersion.

I have Rift DK1 btw.

The offset is minimal even in real life.. unless you're a gecko. While the FOV L/R is much higher (around 45° on each side because of the nose), but the DK1 doesn't provide a FOV similar to the human eyes (you can't see much on sides), this is why the images looks very similar to you (coz a large part that should exists on the sides.. is missing).

Ok that makes sence. I think my field of view (without moving my eyes) must be around 160-170º. Since OR is only 110º, it makes sence. But that also means like I said in my first post that the other eye will add very little extra Fov.

On the other side, while also waiting for good rez Rift, I upgraded to 3 x 3D FullHD screens + TrackIR, for DCS it is much more usable, and I can comfortably fly long flights with a nice cup of tea, while having really good immersion.

I have Rift DK1 btw.

im glad u are enjoying your rig.

i however did not.

with a i7-980x and 2xGTX580's in SLi at a resolution of 5760x1080 on 3 monitors,

i had to turn my settings to low-med to just make 40-50 fps out of the city (even less in a city)

Rift will be a game changer for me..

space wise,

tracking wise

and graphic fidelity wise (@ 1920x1080)

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I have to say that DCS is one of the top experiences in the rift so far... I'm using the hydra to add 6dot and works perfect.

Good job guys!

Really, I have been a real pit guy for a long time, but the rift allows you to jump between different aircraft without spending thousands of dollars. This is the future!