Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Thanks for your replies.

The reason I asked was actually more health related than realism related.

We all have to limit the time we spend in front of a screen because our eyes get lazy (no need to refocus). How long will it take with oculus rift before we all need to wear glasses?

I thought maybe being in 3d you actually had to refocus, that would solve the problem as your eyes would be refocusing as they do while walking in the park, or flying IRL. Whats' worse is that oculus rift completely encloses your vision, so it will be impossibl to take short breaks and look at distant object for a few seconds, without completely removing the device.

Not complaining, I will surely get the OR when it comes out, just trying to better understand how it works and the possible dangers / advantages over a regular screen in terms of health.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your replies.

The reason I asked was actually more health related than realism related.

We all have to limit the time we spend in front of a screen because our eyes get lazy (no need to refocus). How long will it take with oculus rift before we all need to wear glasses?

I thought maybe being in 3d you actually had to refocus, that would solve the problem as your eyes would be refocusing as they do while walking in the park, or flying IRL. Whats' worse is that oculus rift completely encloses your vision, so it will be impossibl to take short breaks and look at distant object for a few seconds, without completely removing the device.

Not complaining, I will surely get the OR when it comes out, just trying to better understand how it works and the possible dangers / advantages over a regular screen in terms of health.

When you are referring to needing to refocus on the distance, this is usually told to office workers staring at computers all day because their eyes are working to focus on the close objects. Staring in the distance allows the eyes to relax, focusing at effectively infinity is very easy on the eyes.

The OR is the same, because of it's optics you are essentially focusing at infinity and it is relaxing on the eyes, even though it is physically very close. I don't know of any harm caused by this effect by itself, you do it when you are sleeping for 8 hours a day.

There is a massive Oculus Rift thread here

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=93477&highlight=oculas

Just saying.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

Do you test dv 1 or dv 2 kit ? Im very edge to preorder dv2 , i have to sell my triple monitor setup first :)

Only thing is that i likey to know how hard hud is read or use in dev 2

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you test dv 1 or dv 2 kit ? Im very edge to preorder dv2 , i have to sell my triple monitor setup first :)

Only thing is that i likey to know how hard hud is read or use in dev 2

If you sell you triple monitors, just for a dev kit two, you are likely to be very unhappy, but that is just my opinion.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Oculus Rift Support Thread

If you sell you triple monitors, just for a dev kit two, you are likely to be very unhappy, but that is just my opinion.

Thats why i try to ask details but those who have tested dev 2 are silent like rock :(

How hard is to tell something like is the mfd readable at all etc.. !!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The only person who has tested is Waggs... Dk2 is not out yet!

He seemed pretty impressed and compared it to flying a dome.

Yes , i read that. Still need bit info before i throw my money to rift dv2 , i don't wan't wait for consumer version in 2015-2016 but i won't take huge risk.

Maybe wags cant say more because nda. :huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thats why i try to ask details but those who have tested dev 2 are silent like rock :(

There's a small number of DK2's being used, Not sure but I think people that do have them are dev team members for OR.

Private Orders for DK2 dont ship until August/September.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Personally I wouldn't jump ship yet to DK2, especially from a triple monitor setup. CV1 will be the polished higher spec product.

I have plans to attempt a screen replacement :music_whistling:

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The latest news says the Oculus Rift is still due to be shipped in July, but not sure if that means all the orders at once or a staggered release, depending on area and/or order date.

I've order the DK2 as I don't expect the CV1 to be released this year. Probably late next year.

I've definitely put off buying a new highend monitor for gaming as any gaming I will be doing will be with a VR headset, and can use any old monitor for my other needs.

A three monitor setup are highly immersive, but I doubt it will be anywhere near the immersion, and presence of a VR headset.

Edited by Chivas

Yes , i read that. Still need bit info before i throw my money to rift dv2 , i don't wan't wait for consumer version in 2015-2016 but i won't take huge risk.

I say buy the DK2,if you arent satisfied you can easily sell it on Ebay for what you paid for it,plus a little extra to cover the original shipping costs etc. So in essence you can try it for free.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Maybe wags cant say more because nda. :huh:

I say buy the DK2,if you arent satisfied you can easily sell it on Ebay for what you paid for it,plus a little extra to cover the original shipping costs etc. So in essence you can try it for free.

While you 'might' be able to recoup your expense selling the dk2 on Ebay, there is no guarantee that will happen. Three decent monitors cost more than a dk2 in the first place. If I could not afford to buy the dk2 without selling my existing gaming display (leaving me with only the Rift for gaming), I would not do it.

I would imagine that you are correct and Wags is under an NDA with Oculus.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Oops,didnt see the part where he had to sell something to get a dk2.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oops,didnt see the part where he had to sell something to get a dk2.

It's optional, but i think to get rid of triple monitor setup anyway. First child coming in autum etc..

1x27" 2560x1440 will be enough for other games and rift for sims in future. :thumbup: (and it costs money too so i need extra for 27" and rift so thats why i think to sell my triple setup)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i have the 1080P version but i don't know why i can only have 1280x800 resolution in the game which makes it difficult to see the text.

this device definitely make looking around much more easier

Is that you in the video. If it is, it looks very much like the DK1 which is only 1280x800.

Edited by Loz

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

I've finally registered to comment on this thread.

I'm a lucky owner of a DK1 and soon to have a DK2, and I wanted to give some impressions and ask some questions for those who have also tried DCS in OR.

First, is there a better way to adjust ipd and such? I'm messing with the eye_shift value in the monitor config lua files and I still feel like my eyes are converging.

Second, what is the hotkey to re-center the view, if any?

My experience so far has been great! Sure I can't re-center my view, and sure my eyes hurt due to the ipd being wrong, but with an OR, TM Hog HOTAS and great headphones, the experience is quite impressive.

Not being able to translate my head position is not as big of a problem as I would have expected. It sucks I can't lean in to look at my instruments, but I think I'll live until the DK2 shows up.

Also, DCS does something no other rift game has for me so far, and I wish all others would. When I enable the rift, I can run DCS on my main screen(s), but when I jump in game, it automatically displays on my rift, instead of forcing me to drag the game window over to it or make the rift my main monitor. This is a big deal for gamers like us who often have triple monitor setups.

I'm off to try the F-15 in the rift!

Entropy Squadron

Possibly the least serious group of pilots on Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]