DCS F-35A

Wags

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't envy the guys who have to do the coding. That touch screen alone is going to be a lot of work. I programmed a user intereface for an account managment tool at work a couple years back and as simple as that was, still took like 6 months.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

I don't envy the guys who have to do the coding. That touch screen alone is going to be a lot of work.

Lol, sure

But, is the DCS engine, ready for this task? not sure.

If it isn"t, it will be a lot of work for ED too :)

Edited by sylkhan

• ED Team

I am sure a touch screen will be way more code than an MFCD... just the function of clicking, dragging and such, let alone what all that clicking and dragging does...

Why is everybody saying that the touchscreen will be "hard" to code.

Isn't it just the same as the A10 MFCD's with the clickspots ON the screen instead of buttons around it?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Why is everybody saying that the touchscreen will be "hard" to code.

Isn't it just the same as the A10 MFCD's with the clickspots ON the screen instead of buttons around it?

it's not just the touch part, or the hiding of clickable helpers dynamically as you bring up one screen and hide another, but the touch and drag to move windows, the touch and drag to re-size windows.. etc etc... You'd have to code dynamic polygons that can be scaled and moved on independent axes while still being able to render the information on it and be able to be hidden and restored.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

...reading the latest news, it looks like that this aircraft (at least in the current form) wouldn't see the light in the end. They made public their own (USA) report, and it's laughable.. give a look at the section 3.1 especially:

http://pogoarchives.org/straus/ote-info-memo-20130215.pdf

Nor that it would mean anything for a simulation: used or not used in real life, wouldn't change its usage into DCS, so this consideration is NOT directly linked to the development of the module.

• Like 1

it's not just the touch part, or the hiding of clickable helpers dynamically as you bring up one screen and hide another, but the touch and drag to move windows, the touch and drag to re-size windows.. etc etc... You'd have to code dynamic polygons that can be scaled and moved on independent axes while still being able to render the information on it and be able to be hidden and restored.

Good point. Moving and resizing windows could be quite complex.

DCS Wishlist: Ka 26

Yes, it is more complex. But not because it's a touch screen, more so as the functionality is way more complex as such. But I don't see any engine/platform specific issues here - from that perspective it is just another MFD. All the 3d math is already done elsewhere - thats just a basic feature of our 6dof cockpits.

But we, erm, KI can be glad that the touch screen has no "dynamic finger pressure sensing"-abilities (there is surely a better tech term for that, sry :-), like for distinguishing between "hard" and "soft" touches ... *g* ... or is it!?

So how many years do you think it's going to be in development? It's great we have old era aircraft and also some other aircraft that spring up. However it seems like advanced aircraft are going to take years and years I don't know if I have the patients. We also need F-16 and a F-22 the f-35 currently has to many real life problems to model accurately IMO. It's used for training which Obamanation has cut 203,000 hours of flight time from our Air Forces.

• Like 1

Dell XPS 8500 Modified

700 Watt PSU

Windows 8 Pro MCE

Intel I7 3770 3.8 GHZ TR (stock)

16GB DDR 3 PC12800

Gigabyte 760 OC 2.0GB

2x 2TB HD

That round thing at the very bottom of the console ... that is the start button for the a/c? :joystick:

Looks like an AC vent. But that brings up an interesting question. Where IS the start button? Are the engine controls on the touchscreen?

It's used for training which Obamanation has cut 203,000 hours of flight time from our Air Forces.

Don't go there. No politics, please.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I thought is was the Auto-RTB button. In emergency just push and the plane goes home. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

But we, erm, KI can be glad that the touch screen has no "dynamic finger pressure sensing"-abilities (there is surely a better tech term for that, sry :-), like for distinguishing between "hard" and "soft" touches ... *g* ... or is it!?

It is electricity anyway.

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

Its actually a electrical connector port next to the A/C vent. The engine start switch is on the left side of the pilot. Its just a simple 3 position switch.

"There is always a small microcosm of people

who need to explain away their suckage"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Its actually a electrical connector port next to the A/C vent.

Cool, a place to charge my phone! :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: