Waiting for first discount on DCS: Mi-8MTV2

Lets see...I paid 60 dollars for the A-10C beta almost 3 years ago, I have over 400 MP flight hours and who knows how many hours flying SP while testing for ED. I'd say that's a good return on investment even without the Nevada map! Just looking at it on a "cost per month" average that's basically 1.67 a month.

I fully agree. The hour/buck ratio for most of my ED titles is waaaaay better than for almost any other game I ever bought. I also tend to argue that the base-price is pretty low if we take into account that it's a niche market and that the modules do get updates on a regular basis.

But. I think discounting a brand new product by 60% doesn't make a lot of sense. The idea behind early adapter is to give those people some kind of benefit.

In some cases, pre-order sales are discounted so that people pay less and still get to be the very first ones to play after release.

In other cases, there is added content that will not be available at a later date (even if it's just a nice color for your avatar or whatever makes people happy).

And in the case of DCS titles, pre-purchase comes at full price, with the benefit of access to the Beta version.

The point is that this particular benefit is void if other people get exactly the same early access for a much lower price so soon.

I know that this doesn't subtract from my experience with the Mi-8, and I'm not particular angry about this sale. But it does mean that the early adapter benefit shrinks to just two weeks of "exclusive" access.

It'd be really interesting to look not just at BST's numbers but ED's numbers as well for the next pre-release. Even if this kind of sale makes sense from BST's point of view (and I don't think it does), it may very well hurt ED when they release their next module because a lot of community members will just wait for the next sale. And just think of the outrage should the next pre-purchase module not be available on that sale.

I gotta say I'm really irritated by BST's move to put their brand new product on discount so soon.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, what you get is early access. I also think it would be fair not to drop the price of brand new modules during a sale. Or maybe drop the price, just not as much as the other modules.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Can you say Let"s boost Sales:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

what happened to the sale? it was there a second ago now everything is full price again

No one round here seems to like sales, so... :-)

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

One more thing. What's the point of a sale?

I think when Steam started with their sales, some companies sold more copies during the first sale than they had in the previous months. So, the idea is to attract those potential customers that are either not that much interested in the product or who simply can't afford it. And it works well.

We all know how hardware prices drop as soon as the next generation comes out. We also know how games are sold for lower prices as they grow older, and I know just how tempting it is to get lots of stuff during a sale that I would never have bought otherwise.

So the idea is to get the maximum amount of money out of a maximum amount of potential customers. I believe that BST is already failing on this part. They could get more money if they make the Beta-release Mi-8 more interesting. Just let the community spread the word as soon as the first version of the campaign gets released and wait for potential customers to be persuaded that this is the right time to get it.

Create some more early adapter fuzz, like "Buy now, get something cool and unique later!" or "Buy now, get something else for free later!"

All of this makes perfect sense, and I believe that most of the customers will be happy about the product, the price and the time at which they bought it.

Of course there will always be the question: What's the perfect time to discount a product? If the discount comes too late, people may have moved to competing products (not very likely in our case at the moment). If it comes too soon, people will remember that and hold off on their future investments.

And that is exactly what we're seeing here. Why would anyone ever get a pre-purchase from ED or any third party ever again? Those who agree with the sale argue that "it's your own fault if you bought too early!". Well, I don't believe that that's true. A sale so soon is unexpected (at least by me). So if it's my fault to have bought so soon, fine, I'll think twice about history repeating itself the next time a pre-purchase module comes around. And I'd be double pissed if I hold back and that thing then doesn't go on the next sale.

tl;dr: I strongly believe BST are shooting their own foot, and ED's as well while they're at it.

• Like 1

First the UH-1, Now Mi-8. That's it. They have done it now. I'll never buy a full price product from Belsimtek ever again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

By now you know not to buy early if you want it to be on special. If you dont know that then you now do, for the next one.

I got the huey for $10. I might get the mi8 for $20. I didnt buy either at full price. I bought everything else at full price. It was worth it to me.

No one who bought the mi8 at full price can say it wasn't worth it to them at the time. Some people didnt want to wait and may have paid more then they wanted to and bought it right away before there was a sale. Still a choice to buy at a higher price.

I waited and here is the sale.

I bought BS1 and then the upgrade, in the end I had to buy BS2 outright because it was a PITA any other way. I suppose thats my ED sob story but I am not really complaining about it, just the fact of what happened.

Just like a product will eventually go on sale and you can get it for a lower price if you want to wait.

Yes, I can't say that it not worth my money. Both UH-1 and Mi-8 are great product, but 60% off for a new product after several weeks of release is absurd. If it was 10-25% sale I wouldn't mind it that much.

Really, if Belsimtek keep this marketing strategy up, there won't be anyone left to buy their full price product.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

They have done it now. I'll never buy a full price product from Belsimtek ever again.

I don't care if it is Belsimtek, ED or any other 3rd party. Full price for a new release isn't happening anymore.

EDIT: As others have said, it is not about the value for the money.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

yes, looks lie eD products still on sale, mi8 and huey are not on sale price any longer.

Congratulations all, you have vented, done nothing for yourselves and managed to spoil the party for everyone else.

Three cheers guys!

Edit: while the checkout price is still at full full price there is still a graphic showing $50 -> $20, lets hope its a shopping cart glitch that will get solved.

Edited by metalnwood
  • Like 1

I've said before and I'll say it again.... If I had to by a new A10C and saw a $100.00 price... I wouldn't even blink.... this sim, the people who built it and continue to improve it are worth every cent they ask for... and more, imho...

sheesh.... my copy cost $40.00... I now have over 6K in my sim pit... no grief / remorse here!

Edited by Picksplitter

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

Why get upset about this? It's all part of doing business.

Do you get upset when you buy an item of clothing and then a few months later you see the same item @ discount?

Another question .. you don't think that the extra you paid for the early access has been worth it? Of course it has!

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

I paid Full price on the Huey and was not really upset. It is a great module. I waited until today for the Mi8 and picked her up at 60% off.

The Steam sale last fall Got me back into Sims with the DCS A-10C for $9.99. I have since picked up every module. because of that I was happy to support a developer in buying the HUEY on Day 1 at full price.

I have spent more in Star Citizen supporting the Development and it will not even be playable for flying in Alpha for months.

If you want to support and encourage developers then pay the price at release if you can and enjoy the module. If money is tighter just hold off a while. I support when I can and take advantage of saving when I can.

Either way I plan on continuing to support DCS World development as best as my wallet will allow.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I paid full price for FC3 & P-51.

Just bought the Mi-8MTV2 for 20 bucks, earlier I bought the UH-1 for 20 too. I would never have bought them for full price, since my main sim is FSX & yes it's costly & I'm not a hardcore heli guy.

So you see, because of the sales ED made me & my friends midcore(slowly becoming hardcore) heli guys:) & gained more customers!

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

The funny thing is people that are whining are not whining out of principle but out of jealously. Yes you bought the module for full price, so did I and the funny part is that I have not yet set one foot into its virtual cockpit.

This is not high-school, no one is competing with you so why you are getting all upset only God knows. I tell myself, is paying 50bucks worth it for a certain product if yes, I buy it. I really don't care is someone else in china is getting it for 5bucks.

Every module I have I bought for full price. I also bought BS2 because I couldn't use BS2 upgrade on steam, I bought the SU25 and A-10A standalone for full price even though I had FC3.

I am a fulltime student work part-time and making minimum wage at best and can afford this games so why grown men with years of work experience are whining only I don't know. Well done you got what you wanted and ****ed it up for everyone. you'll are like that kid in school everyone hates because of their loud mouth and need to be superior or at worst equal with everyone else. The you lost an opportunity doesn't mean everyone else has to lose too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you get upset when you buy an item of clothing and then a few months later you see the same item @ discount?

If Mi-8 went on sale after few months I would not have any problems. But sale price for Mi-8 makes sense though, more people in Russia for example would buy this product.

Edited by ObvilionLost

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5472_1.gif[/sIGPIC]:joystick:

Win 10 | i5-6600K | 16GB DDR4 RAM | MSI Radeon RX480 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek X52

Zeus Gaming Community

I have to admit - this is indeed a bit irritating. Oh well, cheat me once - shame on you, cheat me twice - shame on me. Next time will be buying everything at a discounted price :)

• Like 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

WOW, hot topic...

I not sure that I've well understand all your answers and explanations but I think that everybody make that he want, if you want pay the full price OK and if you want pay the module with discount price OK too.

For me I've payed my Huey and Mi-8 full price but it's not the problem because these two modules are incredible and awesome.

I've bought the Huey the same day that his release and idem for the Mi-8, once these two release available for sell I could not wait and I've quickly bought these two modules.

Since I have bought these two Belsimtek's modules I don't use my A-10C and KA-50 because these two helicopters are incredible and awesome.

So this message it's just my own vision and perception of my passion, the simulation is our passion and each person make that he want...

Bye, Skull.

PS: I hope that my English is enough clear to be understand by you...

This topic is just going back and forth along the two lines, but the core facts are still pretty clear:

- Yes, the modules are great. That's not in dispute.

- No, most people who paid full price are not inherently upset with the initial price.

- The majority are IMHO not 'jealous' or 'upset' with the opportunity given for even more people to buy into these products.

- Yes, there is irritation at rather needlessly spending an extra 60USD in some cases, justifiably so. Not everybody wants to just randomly spend money.

But the one core fact that really shouldn't be in dispute is that the lesson to never buy on the initial offering is pretty clear surely? I mean you don't have to resent ED or BST, you don't have to feel jealous, but it's pure logical sense to NOT buy when the product comes out from now onwards. I have lots of money, I'm not too phased by their decision other than what it means for their own business. Either way I would get the same product - one way I'd have an extra 60USD (and correspondingly, they wouldn't), the other not - surely they would have thought that this harms their future business? Why did they shoot themselves in the foot like this?

Edited by ARM505
  • Like 2