DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lost or over wrote several of my thumb drives. I am going to have to download ALL and the modules I have purchased. I have never loaded or run anything beyond FC2 (thought it was FC3) and several boxed versions.

I am going to purchase two 16GB thumb drives.....will these two drives hold everything I will download......any guesses how long this will take? I have high speed internet. I just measured it and got 2.3 meg per minute and that is from Vanvouver Wa to New York.

Laz

I have lost or over wrote several of my thumb drives. I am going to have to download ALL and the modules I have purchased. I have never loaded or run anything beyond FC2 (thought it was FC3) and several boxed versions.

I am going to purchase two 16GB thumb drives.....will these two drives hold everything I will download......any guesses how long this will take? I have high speed internet. I just measured it and got 2.3 meg per minute and that is from Vanvouver Wa to New York.

Laz

I wouldn't bother, any DCS files download on any given day will be out of date 3-6 months later. (of course that's fine if you aren't fussed about having the latest fixes and upgrades, but also missing out on some newer modules and features)

You really don't need to reinstall unless something goes seriously wrong, and as mentioned before, it will be out of date by the time you do.

Especially if you have fast internet, you at most 30 minutes from playing the base install of DCS World - and only a 10's of minutes for each additional module.

I won't try to guess at the download time for you, though I can usually do it in a few hours at most. The complete download for every module available is about 15GB, so it probably won't quite fit on one 16GB drive.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I`ll give ED credit on this matter - their servers are FAST , when downloading modules/updates i always get around 7-9MB/sec (about my whole 100mbit connection) and they also got a torrent option.

so if you dont live in country that limits traffit or have slow internet , i really don't see a reason to waste space on .

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I`ll give ED credit on this matter - their servers are FAST , when downloading modules/updates i always get around 7-9MB/sec (about my whole 100mbit connection) and they also got a torrent option.

so if you dont live in country that limits traffit or have slow internet , i really don't see a reason to waste space on .

This has got me wondering..Will DCS World 2.0 be a update or a Full,Fresh New Install?

Patrick

mini.gif

This has got me wondering..Will DCS World 2.0 be a update or a Full,Fresh New Install?

Since it is using a unified .exe (something that's missing from the current DCS World), I suspect it will require a complete and full install.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Since it is using a unified .exe (something that's missing from the current DCS World), I suspect it will require a complete and full install.
There is no reason the autoupdater could not replace a .exe file just like any other file. There is nothing technical stopping it from being just another update, but you are probably less likely to encounter unexpected errors with a completely clean install.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any guesses ?

I say we go from 1.2.23 to 2.0.0

1.9.99 to 2.0.0 :lol:

And I am really tired now, The constat delays (That are of course for a better product) are affeting now the view of the whole product for me, I am continuing buying modules, but, they are in my hangar, I cant stand more the old Graphics engine

Edited by il_corleone

I already have a new ssd since december.....yep...and he`s hungry for Dcs 2.0:pilotfly:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I'll have 3 SSDs

SSD1 = Windows, 3d 2d software, game engines and other stuff

SSD2 = Games

SSD3 = Star Citizen

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Hmmm, I have one 250gb Corsair Force 3 SSD for my operating system and DCS along with a few other programs. And a 1TB HDD for everything else. My SSD is pretty much full.

I was thinking of replacing the SSD with a larger Samsung one as I have a few issues I can't resolve on my system, nothing major, just some annoyances like programs not showing up in my control panel so I can't uninstall them! And I sometimes get warnings about my PC not closing down properly. Maybe I should just reformat that one and use it only for my Windows though with a fresh install, and add the larger SSD to a different drive. Any thoughts?

I had BF4 on my SSD but moved it to my HDD due to space requirements.... I now spend more time watching loading screens than playing, it is unbelievable the difference it makes. With my SSD I was generally the first player to spawn, now the match is well underway by the time I join.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Pretty simple solution for the installer to do:

1) Rename DCS Folder to DCS-Temp (or what ever)

2) Create a new folder name like old DCS folder

3) Take all the files you need (modules etc.) from DCS Temp folder to new DCS folder

4) Download all the rest of the files

5) Empty DCS Temp folder except for user`s files (mods etc.)

6) Done.

See , no fuss.

P.S

That is exactly what the open beta client does , except it doesn't touch the old folder, just copies the files it needs.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's how it works:

.) Check integrity of current install, move foreign stuff (mods) to a backup folder.

.) Compare local version to newest remote version, create a delta list.

.) Download the delta list.

.) Replace old files with new, delete files on the delta list but not on the remote repository.

Done.

There is no reason why 2.0 should be a new install.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

1.9.99 to 2.0.0

And I am really tired now, The constat delays (That are of course for a better product) are affeting now the view of the whole product for me, I am continuing buying modules, but, they are in my hangar, I cant stand more the old Graphics engine

I also want a valid timeframe. Since promo videos of new planes have been using the. NTTR map for a long time. It gives me a feeling that it and 2.0 will be released very soon. Knowing that we can't fly those planes in the NTTR map as the videos showed as I'm sure many of us will not be interesting in buying them.

If they aren't gonna be released any time soon. Please tell us so that we'll stop waiting and continue playing 1.0.

Edited by jermin

I also want a valid timeframe.

According to Wags, the public alpha of DCS 2.0 should be made available between March and June, 2015.

Cannot wait! :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com