Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

klem, Im actually talking about close range, when the "object" is much bigger than a single dot. It looks much clearer and "defined" than it does currently in the sim. This in my opinion, is crucial for WVR combat. Then again, I could be just imagining things.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

klem, Im actually talking about close range, when the "object" is much bigger than a single dot. It looks much clearer and "defined" than it does currently in the sim. This in my opinion, is crucial for WVR combat. Then again, I could be just imagining things.
I'm not sure, youtube video compression doesn't really show us the real deal, may it be a vid trick.

On the other hand, nobody comment on the moving grass? Has that been said anywhere previously? If so I didn't notice. Hope in the future that can be adapted to interact with modules, helicopter's rotors moving grass may be? :D

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I noticed the moving grass too and thought that was quite nice. The main things I took from the video were:

1. Grass moving with the wind

2. Better smoke

3. Runs smoothly over villages, forests, etc (subjective though, since I do not know what system that was run with)

4. I can't wait for this to come out!!

Well let me be the first to comment on Wagg's nice little Normandy/Su25 video teaser. :)

Gotta take note of three things I noticed:

2) New smoke effects & explosions? Not sure about the explosions but the smoke effects definitely look different from what we have in the sim now. Very cool.

Discuss! :D

Not sure what you are seeing there. Looks like the same old smoke effects. In fact, the smoke columns are way too small and short. They should be going much higher than they are in the vid which is how they are currently. If it has been tweaked it is not by much. I am hoping Wags comments on updating explosions soon will help create the kinda of effects we can all see in any videos of the time period and how explosions look in them as they are much more impressive in real life than what DCS offers currently. Currently even a car or house fire would create more billowing smoke columns that blowing up a factory currently produces in DCS.

:music_whistling:

was it me... or did the grass blow in the wind when the Su-25's engines exhaust blew over it.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

was it me... or did the grass blow in the wind when the Su-25's engines exhaust blew over it.

Are you serious?? I need to check this out!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I saw it waving in the 'wind' which was nice an added life to the terrain certainly but missed if they now are actually simulating prop/rotor/jet wash now. Which would be great if so. Helis/planes landing on that grass should create a prop wash effect on the ground. Maybe still too much to ask for at this time.

So my girl came in while I was watching this on the projector(11ft screen) and she asked if there will be birds or 'life' in the map. Is that possible? I don't really think I have ever seen a bird in the world. Would be cool to see a few fly around, maybe flee from trees when an explosion occurs near them. I don't know, something to make the world seem alive. Some live stock in fields maybe. Random cow, few sheep..goats..something.

Perhaps an Ambient Life Asset Pack or something could be made and sold for a few bucks for those that want a little more life in the map.

Edited by Torso

Great video. It does seem odd that there is grass inside the hangers though with no sign of any disturbance to it.

The grass grows inside the hangars because the rain goes through the roof (don't ask me about how it lives without sunlight). ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• ED Team
Great video. It does seem odd that there is grass inside the hangers though with no sign of any disturbance to it.

It is a WIP of course, and I am not sure its a deal breaker for me anyways... not gonna spend much time in the hanger, and its not really a vegetation simulator :)

Honda.thumb.png.2a89e9cae3b8a44344c3081812ec0e5a.png

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

All WIP and I am sure viewing via youtube is not doing it justice, but to me the aircraft air-to-air models appear fuzzy and kind of out of focus. :( The ground visuals and effects seem to be coming along very nicely though. :)

As a side note, I could not help wondering about jets operating from these rough airfield strips suffering from ingesting a lot of foreign object damage (FOD) into the engines. Particularly when taxiing and taking off in close proximity and when the wind is up. FOD can be particularly hazardous in these sort of conditions.

Hope the air-to-air aircraft model visibility quality WIP comes to fruition soon. :thumbup:

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

It is a WIP of course, and I am not sure its a deal breaker for me anyways... not gonna spend much time in the hanger, and its not really a vegetation simulator :)

Not a deal breaker for me either. I can't wait for this map.

DCS: Honda lawnmower.... That module is a definite must have!!!

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS: Honda lawnmower.... That module is a definite must have!!!

It has been in development for about 4yrs now. Soon.

Back to map, it is looking great and the shadows I am seeing, as they move over the blades of grass and across ground from trees and the plane look great. They really deform well and map to the terrain below them nicely. Good work. This map will be really nice for heli's indeed.

Seems like the frogfoot video is not running flat shadows. The videos from Wags in the Spit and Huey are much "cleaner", while in the last video with the Su-25, you can see shadows popping everywhere, while Wags mentioned he was running flat shadows.

I would like to see a WW2 dogfight in some of the upcoming vids, maybe at some higher altitude, with some clouds and different time of day (morning, late afternoon) that lets us get some more feel for the atmosphere, not to mention how the map handles transitions between altitudes.

Wags mentioned in a youtube response, where some guy asked if the grass would react to wind/prop-jetblast, that it was "W.i.p" so I guess we would see something over time.

The smoke effects people mention seem the same to me as far as I can tell.

All in all- still progressing nicely:)

Seems like the frogfoot video is not running flat shadows. The videos from Wags in the Spit and Huey are much "cleaner", while in the last video with the Su-25, you can see shadows popping everywhere, while Wags mentioned he was running flat shadows.

I would like to see a WW2 dogfight in some of the upcoming vids, maybe at some higher altitude, with some clouds and different time of day (morning, late afternoon) that lets us get some more feel for the atmosphere, not to mention how the map handles transitions between altitudes.

Wags mentioned in a youtube response, where some guy asked if the grass would react to wind/prop-jetblast, that it was "W.i.p" so I guess we would see something over time.

That's something Im also interested to see...since the edge upgrade, the horizon has looked too well defined and harsh and imo there is not enough fog as you climb, giving you the impression of being at lower altitudes always.

Take a look at my MODS here

so is flat the best setting for shadows?

Only if it's Combined Arms compatible

I wish I was more computer savvy I would post some really cool lawnmower drag races... nitrous...oxygenated fuels...alcohol...:lol::lol:

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]