Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

I used to think such an option wasn't much use as well, but since using it in FlyInside with P3D, I'm finding it very useful as it is far more accurate to me than using the mouse pointer - and at the end of the day, you do have to look at a switch/knob/lever to operate it, so wth :)

The issue with the DCS one, iirc, was that it stayed on all the time, whereas in FI you can toggle it on the fly.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I used to think such an option wasn't much use as well, but since using it in FlyInside with P3D, I'm finding it very useful as it is far more accurate to me than using the mouse pointer - and at the end of the day, you do have to look at a switch/knob/lever to operate it, so wth :)

The issue with the DCS one, iirc, was that it stayed on all the time, whereas in FI you can toggle it on the fly.

The FlyInside head pointer and interface is done really well. However, for me in DCS the mouse is still the preferred manipulation method. Perhaps that will change with time and depends on the module.

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

A note about GPU/CPU utilisation

Now that I'm exclusively flying with a CV1, and having read much about performance, I had a look at how my system is performing. With medium to high settings, as with most people I find that in busy areas such as KLAS, ATW is a frequent feature pegging the FPS to 45.

However, unlike many other posts I've read, my GPU is being utilised to its potential, showing values of 80%-99% when things get busy. Many have reported that their GPUs in particular do not seem to be worked as much as they expect, and that they are seeing GPU load levels of around 40%-60% suggesting that FPS limitations are occurring elsewhere.

In addition, my CPU is working harder in response to load, but not so surprisingly is never being maxed out on any core.

As observed by others, the major settings factor appears to be view distance, though of course raising the PD has a very significant impact on performance in the CV1.

With this said, I think I'll take a chance on a GTX1080 very soon with the expectation that I'll see similar performance but with a higher detail capability.

How many of you have seen similar results and what are your thoughts on the merits of my pretty standard non-Ti GPU verses a top spec fast clocked 1080?

Edited by Chief Instructor

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Just a point on A/G missions if I may - I have started flying the Revanche campaign (in the Su-25A) to get an idea of what A/G combat would look like in the Rift and how well ground targets could be spotted.

So far, it's gone very well. My settings are basically the VR preset, with a couple of small tweaks, as shown in the attached screenshot.

Targets on roads are no harder to spot than previously, and off-road smoke markers set by JTAC is also clear to see from 4,000m msl.

This in the Caucasus, with the Mk.1 eyeball.

Hidden targets will be harder - but then, they should be ;)

I'm using an i5 2500k at 4,2GHz and a GTX970

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Now that I'm exclusively flying with a CV1, and having read much about performance, I had a look at how my system is performing. With medium to high settings, as with most people I find that in busy areas such as KLAS, ATW is a frequent feature pegging the FPS to 45.

However, unlike many other posts I've read, my GPU is being utilised to its potential, showing values of 80%-99% when things get busy. Many have reported that their GPUs in particular do not seem to be worked as much as they expect, and that they are seeing GPU load levels of around 40%-60% suggesting that FPS limitations are occurring elsewhere.

In addition, my CPU is working harder in response to load, but not so surprisingly is never being maxed out on any core.

As observed by others, the major settings factor appears to be view distance, though of course raising the PD has a very significant impact on performance in the CV1.

With this said, I think I'll take a chance on a GTX1080 very soon with the expectation that I'll see similar performance but with a higher detail capability.

How many of you have seen similar results and what are your thoughts on the merits of my pretty standard non-Ti GPU verses a top spec fast clocked 1080?

Going myself from GTX760 to 1080 (and back TWICE!!), you will likely be disappointed to drop that kind of money for a barely noticeable gain. PD 2.0 is nice, but you will still see FPS dropping to 45 with ATW and targets appear as double. The only solution for me to get a stable 90 FPS is LOW visibility and NO shadows. 1080 works 90-100%, and CPU is slacking, but it still does need overclocking to push objects via DirectX bottleneck. I find PD 2 indeed improving readability of the instruments, but only in the center of your vision in OR. Off-sweetspot distortions drive me crazy and I cannot fly more than 10-15 minutes. I have 20/20 vision, so the whole thing gives me headaches if I fly longer ((( Just my $0.02.

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

I have tried looking this up but have and no luck but can anyone point me in the direction of how to change the readability of the Aircraft labels or vehicle labels, I'm having one hell of time trying to read what I'm going after, Even when I have maxed out PD to 2.0 it's still pretty difficult to read.

Just wondering if there's a file I can edit to change the font or clarity of the text of these labels.

Hey guys, I've been playing with the MSAA values but to be honest I can't really determine if I notice a difference in appearance or performance. Can you guys tell me what your experience has been with this setting? Also, is pixel density strictly GPU bound? Thanks Jason

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

I have tried looking this up but have and no luck but can anyone point me in the direction of how to change the readability of the Aircraft labels or vehicle labels, I'm having one hell of time trying to read what I'm going after, Even when I have maxed out PD to 2.0 it's still pretty difficult to read.

Just wondering if there's a file I can edit to change the font or clarity of the text of these labels.

The labels get smaller for me as I up the pixel density. 1.5 seems to be a sweetspot as far labels are concerned.

Labels do no scale with resolution, so the hogher you oversample the smaller the labels will get.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The labels get smaller for me as I up the pixel density. 1.5 seems to be a sweetspot as far labels are concerned.

Everything in the GUI scales down when you increase resolution. One reason I didn't like using DSR (in 1080p) with this game. On a native UHD screen you can actually read it all though even at half the size.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

No thoughts on MSAA guys? Was hoping to gain some insight and input from your experiences. Especially Skatezilla because I feel I learn a ton from reading your posts.

Thanks Jason

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

No thoughts on MSAA guys? Was hoping to gain some insight and input from your experiences. Especially Skatezilla because I feel I learn a ton from reading your posts.

Thanks Jason

I too see no difference between OFF and 16Q! But FPS is dropping in my case. Zoom into the two screens attached and notice how jagged the white text box is. I did re-launch DCS for changes to take effect. PD=1, of course.

Screen_160918_151022.thumb.jpg.68d1c084260984a6ee0122bd477e3719.jpg

Screen_160918_150749.thumb.jpg.699cbd77ea2aac56fa5cd7fcc810c050.jpg

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

I'm on Qculus App Version 1.8.0.277202 (1.8.0.278624). Now the Oculus software tells me "New drivers are required for Oculus. Update Now".

Once I do that, the software keeps telling me that my HMD device cannot be detected. Then it is there for a short time and then cannot be detected again :(

Anyone else having this problem?

I used a Windows recovery point to go back and everything is working normally again.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

@funkyfranky

You might want to check the Oculus Support forums - for example:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/42771/whos-still-having-constant-headset-disconnect-errors#latest

I also just moved to 1.8 runtimes on Win7 and after rebooting, I seemed to be OK - I've never had any disconnect problems. I use the Inatec USB3 card Oculus recommends - some people even have problems with that though - maybe a motherboard issue?? I will check on my Windows 10 PC and report back if any difference

• Like 1

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Thanks for the link, whitav! I also run the HDM on a USB3 card. Not sure if it recommended by Oculus. The sensor is connected to mainboard since it was not recognized by the card even before the update. So it may very well be a problem with the card now, too. I might try to install the new drivers again and connect the HDM to the mainboard as well. Just a bit disappointing that a driver update introduces these problems. But, of course, it wouldn't be the first time ;)

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

Hopefully, i found a trick, launch occulus software with admin rights then the game.

For me it was not happeing when I started DCS (did not even get there) but just when starting the Oculus app. Strangely, also my USB mouse and keyboard went dead/unresponsive. But they are also connected to the USB card.

Yes, same issue. No HMD with Occulus app.

But no pb with my mouse or keyboard.

I tested different config and the best for me is :

Mouse/keyboard/HMD on MB

HOTAS/rudder/sensor on Inatek USB card

Occulus app. launch with admin rights

• Like 1

People fly planes, pilots fly helicopters

Anyone else having issues with 6dof not working after recent oculus update? Every aircraft affected, rift works, can turn head but not move around.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908