Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

That is a weird issue some are having with the 1.11 runtime. I don't seem to have it on my system. @Vulcan have you any other USB ports you could try? Are you using motherboard USB or PCIe addon card?

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I just did a demo at the Microsoft store with Vive and Oculus Rift. I was really blown away by the virtual 3d immersion. I've done a lot of reading in the forums and am not sure which to buy...or to wait till I hear the glitches are ironed out and the resolution is better. It's an expensive investment, not looking foreword to systemic issues.

I just did a demo at the Microsoft store with Vive and Oculus Rift. I was really blown away by the virtual 3d immersion. I've done a lot of reading in the forums and am not sure which to buy...or to wait till I hear the glitches are ironed out and the resolution is better. It's an expensive investment, not looking foreword to systemic issues.

I've asked a similar question in this thread it's worth reading. And here I am 3 weeks later so glad I went ahead and bought the Rift. Of course you could wait for 2 more years till the next gen devices and graphics cards to be able to run the game at a higher res. but for what it is now it's worth it! As soon as you immerse yourself inside a cockpit you will release that resolution is of no such significance anymore. I tell you what it's like. It's like asking should I wait for a 32k TV or enjoy watching high def movies today. And one more thing. After trying the Rift for a couple of days there is no way I would go back to play DCS with trackIR on a monitor.

I've asked a similar question in this thread it's worth reading. And here I am 3 weeks later so glad I went ahead and bought the Rift. Of course you could wait for 2 more years till the next gen devices and graphics cards to be able to run the game at a higher res. but for what it is now it's worth it! As soon as you immerse yourself inside a cockpit you will release that resolution is of no such significance anymore. I tell you what it's like. It's like asking should I wait for a 32k TV or enjoy watching high def movies today. And one more thing. After trying the Rift for a couple of days there is no way I would go back to play DCS with trackIR on a monitor.

WOW I caught your enthusiasm...thanks it's good to hear!

I noticed it mentioned the need to have lots of cables/ports, the HDMI mentioned I assume is referencing the video card HDMI port, is that the only connection to the video card?

Yes

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Hehe, yea thats the really hard part. And realistic I guess.

Im sitting in a Sparco race seat, bucket type, and that makes it even harder to bend around and see whats up back there. For a brief period I was using a swivel chair (temporary set up), and that was a lot easier. Not only because of the swivel, but just the shape/ergonomics of the thing. If I swiveled that of course made it even easier.

What I need here in my Sparco seat (set up), are some handles I can grab, and pull in to get me off the seat/out of the bucket, help me bend around - like in a real fighter.

In the same go I have been wondering about F-16 pilots, where the seat is at a 30 degree angle. Must be extra hard to turn around (come of the seat a little) and look, or?

Edit: Should ad that its pretty much impossible for me, to check my straight six. 5 and 7 I can do, just about. 5 is the hardest for me, maybe becasue Im a righty, and my right hand is on the stick? A little more FOV would help for sure, but even with that, I dont think I would be able to focus on my six. So sitting in a plane with bad rear view helps, hehe.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Nope :)

Im so glad we dont feel the G's.

But indeed, and then keep pulling them G's and fight blacking out. Ive often thought about that aspect of dog fighting, the stamina part, and how horrifying it must be, feeling your energy drain and simply not being able to pull the needed G's, to keep the bugger from getting a shooting solution on you.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Hi, guys. Another question from vr beginner: how do you ppl looking back without breaking a neck? Is it possible to bind "look behind" to a key?

I have a 'look behind' key using a monitor, I hope it still works using Rift.

Edited by fitness88

I have a look behind key using a monitor, I hope it still works using Rift.

You won't want to use it (probably won't work, anyway.

It's hard to explain, but when it just works like in real life, you get situational awareness. mapping a rear view doesn't work in real life so your brain will get confused.

It's easy enough to check six. YOu can also look *up* as you're turning. Then flip to the other side, again, like in real life.

What I'm saying won't make any sense until you try it. Then you'll say "ah...I get it now"

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

In from the sideline here, somewhat out of context, but on topic.

Just went flying a little on my 3x40", due to annoyance of not being able to see my targets clearly. Sure, was all crisp and much clearer and was able to ramp up a few settings, but I wasnt really able to see targets better, and it was just wierd being in the 2D world again. Felt like I was restricted in my movement, as if something was holding me firmly in place. Quite claustrophobic actually. And all depth/distance perception was gone.

Back to sweet home VR again, and suffer some fps loss :)

In from the sideline here, somewhat out of context, but on topic.

Just went flying a little on my 3x40", due to annoyance of not being able to see my targets clearly. Sure, was all crisp and much clearer and was able to ramp up a few settings, but I wasnt really able to see targets better, and it was just wierd being in the 2D world again. Felt like I was restricted in my movement, as if something was holding me firmly in place. Quite claustrophobic actually. And all depth/distance perception was gone.

Back to sweet home VR again, and suffer some fps loss :)

Are you saying Rift is more resource intensive than 3x40" monitors?

Id say about the same, but when on 3 screens, if the frames drop to 30, you dont feel it so much - other than TIR becomes somewhat juttery, where as in VR, 30 fps is awful. My pain threshold with VR is 45, and I set my settings to be above that as much as possible.

Thing that hogs resources on triples, is 3 render viewports and very wide FOV. Lots of stuff to render.

The physical aspect of flying is far better simulated with a VR headset than on a 2D screen. Flying a fighter is a very physical activity. It is common to see (new) VR users complain that they can't easily check 6 or that they lose sight of an adversary in a turning fight.. well, it isn't exactly simple IRL.

Edited by Astronut

I just today added the Touch controllers to my new Rift setup, thought I would give some Touch games a try.

Neat to see the gloves come on in the cockpit with them running - will be interesting to see what ED does with this going forward...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Id say about the same, but when on 3 screens, if the frames drop to 30, you dont feel it so much - other than TIR becomes somewhat juttery, where as in VR, 30 fps is awful. My pain threshold with VR is 45, and I set my settings to be above that as much as possible.

Thing that hogs resources on triples, is 3 render viewports and very wide FOV. Lots of stuff to render.

I've tried single viewport on 3 monitors and it only helps by a few FPS but the visual on the left and right monitors is horrible so I only use 3 viewports.

What can I expect to have settings at and what FPS from my new rig which is enroute...gtx1080, 16gig memory [will be 32 when available] 256ssd, i7-7700?