[FIXED INTERNALLY] Static Object <10 mile Visibility Distance

SonofEil

If your graphic settings are Custom do you need to add something like "options.graphics.Camera.Custom.dynamic = {300, 60000}"?

It's analogous to your visibility setting, not your global graphics setting.

Just add these lines to your CFG file:

options.graphics.Camera.Low.dynamic = {300, 60000}

options.graphics.Camera.Medium.dynamic = {300, 60000}

options.graphics.Camera.High.dynamic = {300, 60000}

options.graphics.Camera.Ultra.dynamic = {300, 60000}

options.graphics.Camera.Extreme.dynamic = {300, 60000}

You'll be covered regardless of what visibility setting you employ.

• 3 weeks later...

How to change for "VR" preset,

options.graphics.Camera.VR.dynamic = {300, 60000}
?
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Hello guys ! I'm new to this Forum and in the world of DCS.

I also realized there were problems regarding the distance from which objects get visbile in the game.

I created a mission to start training with A/G weapons. I placed two rows of Fuel Tanks on an Island.

Regardless of the selected in game visibilty I wasn't able to see the tanks until ~1NM inbound :(.

I played around with some figures in the graphics.lua and found something that worked nicely for me to set the Range from which the objects started to get visible.

I tried it with visibility set to Medium and changed the graphics.lua

under

camera

medium=

The line that changed the object visibility for me is :

dynamic = {300, 12000}; //Standard setting

I changed it to :

dynamic = {12000, 30000}; //New setting

While the fuel tanks appeared on standard settings when within ~1NM

I could now see them already from 15NM out.

Hope this works for you as well.

(Worked for me also when flying in VR)

Edited by Spearzone

• 2 weeks later...

over 1 year since this report now and nearly 6000 thread views, and still render distance not tweaked by ED to draw important objects at (for example) 15 nm ?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Bump

autoexec.cfg doesn't do anything.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys! As already mentioned above, this helped me with some static objects:

Create autoexec.cfg in C:\Users\<YOUR-LOGIN>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\

add to it this:

options.graphics.Camera.Extreme.dynamic = {300, 40000}

here "Extreme" - is because I use extreme visibility distance preset, if you use another (Low, Medium, High, Ultra) - you must change it to your preset name.

First number as I believe it's visibility distance of the shadow and the second - object itself (by default on Extreme preset it is 20000)

For some objects instead of "dynamic" you must use "dynamic2" or "objects" or "structures" (view graphics.lua) I don't know how it's sorted in game and why static objects use visibility parameter of "dynamic" e.t.c.)))

You can write all of them for sure in autoexec but this can dramatically drop your fps, so be careful.

Edited by MikeMS

Hi guys! As already mentioned above, this helped me with some static objects:

Create autoexec.cfg in C:\Users\<YOUR-LOGIN>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\

add to it this:

options.graphics.Camera.Extreme.dynamic = {300, 40000}

here "Extreme" - is because I use extreme visibility distance preset, if you use another (Low, Medium, High, Ultra) - you must change it to your preset name.

First number as I believe it's visibility distance of the shadow and the second - object itself (by default on Extreme preset it is 20000)

For some objects instead of "dynamic" you must use "dynamic2" or "objects" or "structures" (view graphics.lua) I don't know how it's sorted in game and why static objects use visibility parameter of "dynamic" e.t.c.)))

You can write all of them for sure in autoexec but this can dramatically drop your fps, so be careful.

Wait, this is interesting. So the shadow render distance is separate? That explains why aircraft shadows suddenly pop-in at around 200-300ft distance.

• 2 weeks later...
Wait, this is interesting. So the shadow render distance is separate? That explains why aircraft shadows suddenly pop-in at around 200-300ft distance.

My latest research shows that this is not shadow visibility, it is something else... maybe visibility in some other conditions... Still can't figure it out...

Also for some objects can't rise visibility more then some distance (parameter effect it, but only up to some value).

• 2 weeks later...

Good Job Dev Team

Way to go Dev Team, good job ! :thumbup:

As far as FPS. That is what low, medium, high, ultra and, extreme is there for. Please do not gimp ultra and extreme.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

• 1 year later...

FYI I know this is marked as fixed but it is not for me.

autoexec.cfg does not work either.

EDIT : Works fine in solo, even without autoexec. Does not work in multi (server Blueflag), statics and bomb craters disappear >8.6nm

Edited by kaymelkan

Badoo 4 | iPod

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the bump but is the information in this thread still relevant ? I desperately want to increase the draw distance of EVRYTHING from objects to trees etc as even the extreme preset has very poor render distance for a modern game. I can’t bring myself to fly around a world with such limited view distance, it destroys immersion seeing trees pop and fade in that are only 6nm away from you.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Nope still not fixed for everyone.

I still cannot see targets until within 15miles, static/armour/vehicles/planes, and I have been running maxed settings with extreme distance since the upgrade to a 5600X and 3080 running triple screens at 5760 x 1080p.

I will be trying this change out later tonight to see if I can finally see a target at a suitable distance to line up a run.

Edited by Mearcat