Viper Manual Error reporting

NineLine

19 hours ago, FoxOne007 said:

In typical ED fashion the manual has once again not been updated to include the latest changes, pretty poor track record this. New changes (especially significant ones like addition of HTS, Markpoints, etc.) should be in the manual once it's released to the sim, now we're once again left to figure out half the stuff on our own (like how to input MGRS and make sure it saves)

It is in early access, it is not finished product, ofc it has items that are on the list to be done.

They will update the manual, be patient and explore, that's the fun part. Writing manual takes time, so they instead offer video guides on youtube so you can get at least some info on the subject until manual is updated.

You can find lots of useful info here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/MattWagner

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Page 34: The picture has an empty text box under the DED label for the right eyebrow warning lights.

Page 34: "The angle of attack indexer consists of three lights. If the top light is illuminated with a red chevron, you are above 14° of angle attack and you are pulling with an energy depleting angle of attack."

English is not my native language but the part "you are above 14° of angle attack" does not seem grammatically correct to me.

• Like 1

Page 41: "When a PFLD item is displayed, its corresponding caution light indicator will illuminate and the and the master caution light will be lit."

and the appears twice.

Page 43: "The Digital Back Up, or DBU switch, selects the FLCS backup software. If enabled, you will see the DBU caution light and a HUD warning."

DBU ON is a warning light, not a caution light.

• Like 1

Page 43: "Once complete and successful, the light turns off and the switch snaps back to center."

This switch has no center position. It will snap back to OFF.

Page 43: "On the leftmost side is the Master Fuel switch, which is guarded. It opens or closes the main fuel shutoff valve. This is normally guarded to the on position."

There is no ON position. It is MASTER position.

• Like 1

Page 44: "The anti-collision knob has an OFF and seven options that apply to the anti-collision lights when in flashing mode:"

That light is a single light, not lights.

Page 44: "To the right of this is the Master Covert knob that has positions for external lights overt and convert"

covert, not convert.

Page 45: "Below the switch is the Electrical Caution Reset button that can clear electrical system caution lights"

The ELEC SYS caution light is a single light, not lights.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

I have two questions regarding the radar of the Viper which I don't know if they are bugs or just an operator problem.

- First question: SAM using TMS FWD long.

According to the manual, when you are in RWS and you want to acquire a target in SAM (which is a soft single lock outside of TWS) you need to press TMS FWD long, a short scan of 4B 10º is done and then the target is aqcuired when you release TMS FWD long. When I do that the target is always locked in STT. SAM is only entered when pressing TMS fwd short over the target. Is that correct? Am I reading the manual wrong or is it working as intended?

- Second question: SAM on flight members.

I don't know if it is coincidence but when I use SAM in enemy or friendly contacts, the radar behaves as expected. You bug one target and the radar keeps scanning around, stops a bit on the bugged target and then keeps scanning. This allows for a DTT when you bug a second track. All logic is as the manual says, you can switch both with TMS right, and the radar target always focus the pass on the secondary target while the AAM tracks the primary targets.

But when you bug a flight member (blue on the Radar and HMD) the radar stops tracking and the antena is always on the primary. Hence you can't use DTT because you lose every other target on the radar. But it is SAM because the friendly doesn't hear any spike on the RWR. Bugging the target again will enter STT as expected. Sometimes it enters STT straight away but I couldn't replicate this and could be because I lost track of the friendly or something like that.

Is this working as intended as well? Am I doing something wrong? I replicated this behaviour in a new mission and it happens in both MP and SP.

Thanks!

Edited by Eviscerador

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

50 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

TMS FWD Long is Spotlight mode, not SAM.

The I guess they need to update the manual. Current wording is misleading.

So TMS fwd long is spotlight to STT while TMS fwd short is SAM. Thanks.

About the second question any insight?

Screenshot_2022-09-17-18-34-07-989_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Edited by Eviscerador

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It should be known that there is SAM, TTS, DTS, DTT. "DTT" is the equivalent of STT for two targets, i.e. there is no search component. Dual-target SAM is when there are two tracks plus search component. Search component is dropped from SAM/DTS dynamically based on workload of radar.

Releasing TMS forward in spotlight commands SAM acquisition (in RWS-not-SAM and ULS) although it may immediately go STT/DTT in conditions that SAM would go STT/DTT. Releasing TMS forward in SAM/spotlight with the SAM-bugged target under cursor would progress to STT. Another target from spotlight in SAM will designate a secondary SAM target and enter that mode. Releasing in SAM over nothing has no effect except ceasing spotlight. In VSR there's no SAM so it goes straight STT. In TWS I'm not sure, I think it goes straight to STT as well.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

This is sort of a double post since it involves both the F-16C training missions and HOW they relate to the Early Access Manual pagination. Since the issue can be fixed from either side I'm posting on both ends.

very weapons systems missions references specific pages of the DCS manual, but when I look either in my local DCS folder or on eagledynamics.com I only find this file as PDF:
DCS F-16C Early Access Guide EN.PDF while the Briefing refers to another filename: DCS: F-16 Viper Guide.

1st. Isn't the F-16C module out of Early access already?

2nd and most relevant question: The pages do not match. 

For example the Pages that the Briefing of the AIM-120 Training mission refers to are pages 130 through 133 to familiarize yourself with the HUD.

null
But then, the actual PDF available on the main website and on the DCS install show something completely different, the DED:

null
I actually noticed that back on 2.6 or so, any chance either the missions are fixed or the manual updated? 

This is very frustrating and I think it happens with other modules too if memory doesn't fail. Even the Flaming Cliffs, which is what I used during 2.6 and 2.7 mostly.

image.png

image.png

3 hours ago, einarabelc5 said:

The pages do not match.

The progress of modules generally outpaces their training materials. The relevant section in the manual may end up on a different page number as prior sections are re-written or expanded upon.

The Early Access Manual was last updated in December of last year, the AIM-120 training mission was last updated September of last year, however the initial briefing may have been written before this when referencing that outdated page number. The relevant section regarding Air-to-Air radar starts on page 233. RWS specifically on page 236.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• 3 weeks later...

Manual still says "Not implemented." in MTR section

image.png

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

DCS F-16C manual page 205 states " The FCR will default to GM mode if the weapon delivery sub-mode is CCRP, DTOS, LADD, PRE, VIS, BORE, HARM, or HTS"

However when selecting VIS mode weapon (AGM-65) or DTOS (CBU-97) it switches to AGR mode. Trying to cycle to GM mode manually shows that AGR is the only mode available ie GM is missing. Cycling the weapon to other delivery modes will return radar modes to the selection and defaults to GM. Seems that GM was left out of VIS mode, or the manual is incorrect.

Track attached showing reproduction for VIS mode. DTOS mode is the same steps but with different weapon loaded, can be reproduced with CBU-97.

image.png

image.png

image.png

VIS mode AGR instead of GM.trk

• Like 1

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

• ED Team

Hi @TAIPAN_

The Viper manual is currently being reviewed internally and a newer version will be released soon. 

We apologize for possible changes in the current version of the module that may render some sections of its manual a bit outdated. 

Please consider the fact that creating such a manual is a very extensive work that needs to be checked with available sources. 

• Thanks 1

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord