Barthek's CAUCASUS REDONE 2022

On 9/14/2022 at 5:35 PM, Barthek said:

Some early development shots of the optional  late autumn / snowless winter.

Screen-220914-142259.jpg

Just installed this and WOW!!! Pure delight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

2 hours ago, Mike_CK said:

Do I have to use the JSGME system for this or is will it work dropping into a mod folder?

It has to replace core files. So a MOD folder doesn't work.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

7 hours ago, Mike_CK said:

Do I have to use the JSGME system for this or is will it work dropping into a mod folder?

The files need to be in the core game installation path, not in the savegames folder. You can nevertheless copy them by hand but a (any) mod-manager is recommended for messing with the core installation. First, it can easily be reversed if anything is not working out and second, you can easily reapply after an update of DCS.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

AFAIK the only way is to mod the Dcs install folder, but try your suggestion and see...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

AFAIK the only way is to mod the Dcs install folder, but try your suggestion and see...

Which is exactly what I told Mike_CK. You can’t just dump the files into a Mod folder. You need to use JSGME or something similar to place them in main DCS directory. Either that or place them there manually.

• Like 1

_____

On 9/28/2022 at 7:26 PM, BRAVO_16 said:

May I ask why?  Surely that is what the Saved Games Mods folder is for, to keep the integrity of the game files.

Some mods modify core DCS files that´s why you use OVGme, or other. If you install it manually it might corrupt your DCS installation and you´ll need to do a Repair/Cleanup afterwards; everytime DCS updates it will erase those modified files and you´ll need to install your mod all over again. With a modding tool like OVGme you Enable/Disable your mods with a click, useful before an update for instance. And if you install the mods, that modify DCS core files, in savedgames folder they just don´t work (savedgames mod folder is a duplicate of the one in main DCS folder.  "core mods" don´t have the same folder path that the "savedgames mods" have).

Just a note: Savedgames folder is not overwritten when DCS updates so you don´t need to use OVGme, but you can. I usually install those mods manually and use OVGme for mods that need DCS core installation.

Edited by fagulha
  • Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

3 hours ago, virulosity said:

I tried simply dragging the folders into my DCS directory to overwrite the original files and now the game won't launch.  Doing a repair now...

Mod is OvGME ready so why do not use this soft to install the mod ?? Update brake the mod too, another reason to use mod manager.....

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

4 hours ago, virulosity said:

I tried simply dragging the folders into my DCS directory to overwrite the original files and now the game won't launch.  Doing a repair now...

29 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Mod is OvGME ready so why do not use this soft to install the mod ?? Update brake the mod too, another reason to use mod manager.....

I was reluctant towards mod managers in the past too, but I would very strongly recommend them (OvGME in my case) now. Easy to use, save, and for mods like this almost mandatory.
Actually OvGME does nothing other than copying files to the right location (this is probably where you messed up), but it keeps track and saves backups of the files it replaces and swaps them back if necessary. Also like Morpheus said, it's much easier to reapply after an update.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Barthek, this is really good work! 🙂 This time around, I love what you did to the Caucasus textures (also with the optional snowless winter - beautiful!).  👍👍 
Actually, in some areas I may prefer it to my version.

If I can offer some criticism, there's only three points I'd rather see changed, though none of them are big deal breakers (but please consider?) :

1. Spring season textures have colors a bit too strong, greens too vibrant.
    Could it be the parameters of the new "shadingOptions" you include? (haven't look at it yet)
    Maybe not the best solution but, for a quick fix for Spring season, I prefered instead to use terrain textures of Summer, but kept the fields of Spring (and looks great, for me anyway).

2. Trees should be a bit darker (IMO; and spring ones are also way too vibrant).
    I know that we can use the "Better Trees for Caucasus" from Taz, but still...

3. Currently, only "HIGH" textures are present in the mod.
    Plenty people using the "LOW" option for terrain texture in-game, because the VRAM consumption of DCS is outrageous, so this is badly missing.
    PS: if you wish, I can try to assist by preparing packages with the LOW textures, for you to add in your mod.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 5

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

+1 for what LucShep says!

This is your best work yet and I love what you have done with the shadingOptions. That’s where the real magic is and gets rid of that Caucasus washed out look perfectly.

The green of spring tiles and trees are the only things that spoil it for me. Swapping out the spring textures and trees for summer but keeping the fields could produce a lovely result.

Edited by swartbyron
  • Like 2

Thank you for the feedback, guys! 

Could you please provide me with some screenshots showing the textures you consider too strong / vibrant? It would make it easier for me to address the issue. I have to admit it was my goal not to exaggerate with the colours of the spring and on my monitor they look ok. I assume you don't use additional post-processing features like sweetfx?

As for the trees, you can adjust their darkness by editing the "gamma" parameter found in: BARTHEK's CAUCASUS REDONE 2022\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\shadingOptions\Caucasus (I've attached a screenshot as a reference). Experiment with this value and set it to your liking.

I am still adding some modifications here and there. Once I consider the mod fully finished, I'll try to create the LOW set of textures for those struggling with performance. It is a time-consuming task, therefore I want to be sure I'm dealing with the final version of the mod.

Cheers!

image.png

Edited by Barthek
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Barthek For which ingame gamma setting have you calibrated your colors? I think that (or better the gamma setting of the user) has much influence on the perceived colors.

1 minute ago, Hiob said:

@Barthek For which ingame gamma setting have you calibrated your colors? I think that (or better the gamma setting of the user) has much influence on the perceived colors.

Might be so! In the installation guide included in the first post I recommend using gamma of 2.6.

16 minutes ago, Barthek said:

Might be so! In the installation guide included in the first post I recommend using gamma of 2.6.

Just out of curiosity - why have you deviated from the default value (which is 2.2 if I'm not mistaken)? Doesn't that call for trouble, since the gamma also affects the cockpit?
Don't get me wrong - I don't experience problems with your mod and I love it, I'm just curious.

Whoa, thay's probabbly the reason why after switching from CGTC mod to this one the first thing that struck me was overall darkness of all the scenery (except for trees). I use default 2.2 (while in 2.5.xx. days I sometimes went down to 1.8 even). I guess that's also why I have to use Taz's "dark" trees mod here, while in CGTC "medium" ones were sufficient for me.

I'm getting used to the darkness, 'cause I don't feel like changing gamma everytime I switch between different maps.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Amazing. Espeazialy the SNOWLESS WINTER edition

Thank you Barthek

Do you think it's possible to place a closed snowpack in the Highlands or just in the highest mountains (all above 6-7k feet)?

but I can understand that it would require major interventions in the code (only from ED...)

• Like 2