Marianas islands Map

Silver_Dragon

ahhhhh, ww2 within a populated area in 2019 style. . . ok, what a nice gameplay. . . i will go to sleep again. . .

Please do, rest of us will enjoy the map.

Screenshots look great, can't wait to get my hands on the map!

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Fantastic choice!

Is there anything limiting the extent of the water? Would love as much water as you can give us! I'm thinking maximum range strikes from a carrier based Hornet (globalsecurity.org speculates 290nm combat radius.. so 600nm... 1100x1100km :thumbup:)

Edited by randomTOTEN

The map is looking nice! I'm concerned however about its playability for non-carrier planes. I know is a kind of stupid question to make for a largely ocean map, but if there's going to be just 1 airfield PVP MP servers are going to have a tough time including the maximum variety possible of planes, basically restricting the teams to the F-14, F-18, Harrier and Su-33. Could we have a map of the surrounding area? At least some information about the airfields present in the zone. I'm excited for this map but I can't help but feel this is going to be an exclusively PVE map because the other side will have few or none options to operate on it if it isn't via air spawns.

My guess is it looks like you're going to have to grab some drop tanks and seriously consider what you're planning on taking to the battle ;)

The Oni abides, man✌️

What some fail to appreciate is that whilst no conflict zone of the last 75 years could prototypically be modelled around Marianas, an interesting 'what-if?' scenario can:

China has designs on absorbing the South China Seas territories and it's potential wealth of resources, but has been frustrated by the US exercising freedom of navigation rights.

In an attempt to severely limit US influence in the area, China sends an amphibious invasion fleet led by the Liaoning & Shandong carriers (Kuznetsov) and their combined 4 squadron of J-15 (Su-33) fighters to assault and occupy the Marianas, it being a crucial staging post on Pacific Fleet & USAF forays to the Far East and Indian Ocean.

And it's not like the Caucasus or the Strait of Hormuz has seen any direct all out conflict involving NATO/US forces, yet vast numbers of interesting and absorbing missions and campaigns have been made for those maps...

Sure, I'd much preferred a Korea map; a Balkans would have had potential too; or a dedicated free WW2 map, but that said, I'm not paying for it, it looks impressive, and despite the protestations of some, does have potential for some interesting conflict scenarios.

So to the people complaining, Guam is a major strategic point of the pacific in modern day with the US AirForce operating Bombers out of it. Any war with China or North Korea would begin with either of them launching ballistic missiles at the island and followed by long range bombers in China's case. It's a stationary "aircraft carrier" that can launch B-52s and B-1s. It's importance can not be overstated.

But hey if you aren't excited about it oh well. ED can't develop exactly what everyone thinks should be the top priority. Sometimes I end up disappointed by their choices too. This is definitely not one of those times though.

ED, I am a fanboy since the first piece of the flanker series, but what a waste of ressources. . . sorry. . . no one needs that. never heard before that this island is ever existing in real world. . . why no area with historical background, e.g. cold war, balkans. . . i dont need a holiday map.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana_and_Palau_Islands_campaign

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saipan

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/geopolitics/article/2182752/us-china-battle-dominance-extends-across-pacific-above-and

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/IF11208.pdf

There's way more and it's only a Google away. These islands have had historic, strategic significance for maritime nations around the world as their power ebbs and flows.

Maybe educate yourself before you start mud-slinging?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

@BigNewy The newsletter noted the relevance of the map to WWII, will there be anyway to delete modern airbase and buildings? I hope it wouldn't require two installs of the map but something like tick this box to delete modern stuff and add WWII stuff.

Looking at satellite images you can still see the remnants of the old bases, would be nice to have them in the modern day too, as abandoned strips like those in the Caucasus (X airport).

@BigNewy The newsletter noted the relevance of the map to WWII, will there be anyway to delete modern airbase and buildings? I hope it wouldn't require two installs of the map but something like tick this box to delete modern stuff and add WWII stuff.

Technically, you'd better solve this with having two seperate maps, which would load topography, base textures and common assets from the same dataset, to manage data size.

No need to change map layout on the fly...

Unfortunately no info about a retrofit in the newletter. I hope, it's still on their roadmap. They could probably even sell a retrofit, if priced accordingly...

Edited by twistking

• ED Team
Looking at satellite images you can still see the remnants of the old bases, would be nice to have them in the modern day too, as abandoned strips like those in the Caucasus (X airport).

Please take a read of the features for each island in the newsletter.

Thanks

• ED Team

No news to share just yet, if and when we do we will let you all know.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Was kind of hoping for the Philippines. This is ok, i guess...but it's free, and im excited about that. Although it's kinda a buzz kill though as it will literally be mostly water.

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Technically, you'd better solve this with having two seperate maps, which would load topography, base textures and common assets from the same dataset, to manage data size.

No need to change map layout on the fly...

Unfortunately no info about a retrofit in the newletter. I hope, it's still on their roadmap. They could probably even sell a retrofit, if priced accordingly...

Either way, I'm just looking to keep the download size down. I have a whole 1TB SSD dedicated to DCS world and a few more maps will fill it up.

Looking at satellite images you can still see the remnants of the old bases, would be nice to have them in the modern day too[...]

Please take a read of the features for each island in the newsletter[...]

Can we please get ground units, that allow ground crew service within a certain radius?

Would like to do some island hopping with the yak...:pilotfly:

Can’t you just have the map default to ww2 setup when you set the year to the ww2 era, would make things much better in my opinion. I hope this comes as a feature and is put in the from the beginning for any future maps that where involved in the ww2 theatre.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Awesome I love it! This map will be fantastic for pretty much naval everything. First map with true open Ocean on all sides, I mean you can do a blue-water naval battle and a littoral naval battle, it lends itself to both. You could have China staging an amphibious assault on the islands, you could have them already under Chinese control and the US stages an amphibious assault to recapture. Seeing as this region opens up Japan, North and South Korea, it's practically the perfect play area for Japan and China.

I hope ED take advantage of this as you can make this map super big in the ME without adding any significant landmass, and there's plenty of assets that go very well with a map like this.

This is a bit of a weird one but I hope we get at least an approximately accurate depth-map no-need for anything fancy (the level of detail for the pre-2.5 Caucasus map would be more that enough), seeing as we're getting aircraft laid bottom mines like the Mk-40 and Mk-63 (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3285514&postcount=13) with torpedoes inbound too and hopefully more underwater weapons such as SLCMs (we already have 2 dedicated SLCMs - the 3M-54E and 3M-54E1).

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

ahhhhh, ww2 within a populated area in 2019 style. . . ok, what a nice gameplay. . . i will go to sleep again. . .

What exactly is the historical background of the caucasus region? Never ever heard of anything important took place over there... And what's the point of having WW2 planes prior to have a real WW2 map like normandy?

Ppl should be thankful, that the devs earning their monthly income with this kind of work have put this amount of time and work into an addon we get for free. This is by far not a matter of fact, but a very noble gift to the community. Wether the map has tons of historical background, or not. It brings variety and that's what counts i guess.

So thank you ED for a free map and all the work and effort you put into it! Keep up the great work

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2