[REPORTED]2.5.6 Performance

The 2.5.6 update feels like a total step back for DCS and should have been tested a LOT more by ED. ED needs to step up their game or simply revert back to 2.5.5 and go again from there.

They should test it more (which takes more time), they should step up their game (which make the relesae quicker), they should release it without bugs (but wasn't it Open Beta?), the should add a lot more content etc, etc...

You dudes would be perfect CEO's, what are you waiting for?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

They should test it more (which takes more time), they should step up their game (which make the relesae quicker), they should release it without bugs (but wasn't it Open Beta?), the should add a lot more content etc, etc...

You dudes would be perfect CEO's, what are you waiting for?

You do realize this update was sent out with internal only merges that accidentally went public?

This is like saying you'd be a perfect chef if you can point out that you can't make pasta sauce with excrement.

Maybe, just maybe, people are saying this because it's obvious to everyone? :doh:

No say...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Might have to download stable to check if I have the same cpu usage problems there.
Okay, my experience in stable is almost identical to current beta. This means my problems are probably related to the old cpu and ram I am using. 9600k and 3200Mhz DDR4 should arrive this week and should fix it.

I think it’s obvious that the issues are terrain related, hence why people have issues on the ground, using TGP, IR etc. Now I hope ED have a plan, the logical step would be to get on Vulcan ASAP and stop slamming the Single Core. DCS has gone as far as it can in complexity on single core.

:thumbup:

Okay, my experience in stable is almost identical to current beta. This means my problems are probably related to the old cpu and ram I am using. 9600k and 3200Mhz DDR4 should arrive this week and should fix it.

Since the update of DCS-World to version 2.5.6. a worldwide increase in sales of hardware parts has been recorded. Especially with Nvidia and Intel the champagne corks are just popping.

So on my side for report :

GTX 1070TI

I7-3820

16 GB RAM DDR3

SSD

I went from an average 60 FPS in 2.5.5 with most settings maxed to a 15-20 FPS with a standard monitor 1080p. I noticed that VRAM usage is 0. I updated drivers, deleted Metashaders and Fxo.

I sincerely suggest that a small roll-back would be made removing the new lighting or making them optionnal as it seems for me to be part of the issue.

If I say this, it is because I have another rig :

RTX 2080

I-7 8700 (I think it's this one)

16 GB RAM DDR4

SSD

No FPS loss at all on this one and it's in 2K. I guess your lighting system uses some RTX features but the current average rig doesn't use these GPU.

Other difference between the 2 rigs : First is on W7, second is on W10. Perhaps something to investigate. I would if it didn't lead me to format everything ^^

SSLR disabled on both though no real impact on the 2nd rig.

Nicolas

PS : Please avoid big discussions on this thread, that's not what devs need. Report in the kinda same format as I did, it would be far more efficient I think.

Edited by dimitriov

• 2 weeks later...

Still no change after todays 2.5.6.44266 update. No better no worse, than all my previous tests in the same mission. Im still only getting 1/3 of the performance in 2.5.6 compared to 2.5.5 in a 'unit intensive, but not really that intensive' mission.

And yes, metashaders and fxo deleted (every time), and even options.lua.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

It's still the same! This is unplayable! FPS are crap!!!!!

SYS: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi || Ryzen 5900x || Gainward RTX4090 || 2x16 Gb Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200@3800 || XPG Core Reactor 850 Watt PSU || Kingston Fury 2 TB NVME SSD || WD SN850 1TB NVME || 1 x 500 GB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD || 2 x HDD 3TB || Thrustmaster F-16 & F-18 Stick on Virpil War BRD Bases || WinWing Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo || WinWing Orion2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle Combo (With Finger Lift) || WinWing Takeoff Panel II MFG Crosswind Pedals w. Damper || 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD || Multipurpose UFC ||  Wheel Stand Pro II

VR: HP Reverb G2

ED should not even think about bringing OB 2.5.6 to the stable release. Since 2.5.6 there are problems after problems. The latest release crashes randomly. Did a repair and deleted the shaders. FPS are still soooooo poor! Starting to get tired of this……. 2.5.6 messed the whole game up!

SYS: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi || Ryzen 5900x || Gainward RTX4090 || 2x16 Gb Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200@3800 || XPG Core Reactor 850 Watt PSU || Kingston Fury 2 TB NVME SSD || WD SN850 1TB NVME || 1 x 500 GB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD || 2 x HDD 3TB || Thrustmaster F-16 & F-18 Stick on Virpil War BRD Bases || WinWing Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo || WinWing Orion2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle Combo (With Finger Lift) || WinWing Takeoff Panel II MFG Crosswind Pedals w. Damper || 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD || Multipurpose UFC ||  Wheel Stand Pro II

VR: HP Reverb G2

Still no change after todays 2.5.6.44266 update. No better no worse, than all my previous tests in the same mission. Im still only getting 1/3 of the performance in 2.5.6 compared to 2.5.5 in a 'unit intensive, but not really that intensive' mission.

And yes, metashaders and fxo deleted (every time), and even options.lua.

Looking at the patch notes that is pretty much expected. There were no signs of any performance updates. I suppose they're still trying (hopefully) to find the root cause.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Looking at the patch notes that is pretty much expected. There were no signs of any performance updates. I suppose they're still trying (hopefully) to find the root cause.

Then, I will not even try the beta today´s update. Very bad news, more than one month with this fps reduction without fixes it worries me a lot.

Yeah , it's hard to not be discouraged . And i am in the middle of an upgrade cycle for a DCS-only 'puter . Wondering why at this point ...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

So on my side for report :

GTX 1070TI

I7-3820

16 GB RAM DDR3

SSD

I went from an average 60 FPS in 2.5.5 with most settings maxed to a 15-20 FPS with a standard monitor 1080p. I noticed that VRAM usage is 0. I updated drivers, deleted Metashaders and Fxo.

I sincerely suggest that a small roll-back would be made removing the new lighting or making them optionnal as it seems for me to be part of the issue.

If I say this, it is because I have another rig :

RTX 2080

I-7 8700 (I think it's this one)

16 GB RAM DDR4

SSD

No FPS loss at all on this one and it's in 2K. I guess your lighting system uses some RTX features but the current average rig doesn't use these GPU.

Other difference between the 2 rigs : First is on W7, second is on W10. Perhaps something to investigate. I would if it didn't lead me to format everything ^^

SSLR disabled on both though no real impact on the 2nd rig.

Nicolas

PS : Please avoid big discussions on this thread, that's not what devs need. Report in the kinda same format as I did, it would be far more efficient I think.

DCS Does not use RTX.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

For what its worth. Same mission, same settings (SSLR off in 2.5.6). 2.5.5 vs 2.5.6.

- 2.5.5 is the one with the highest framerate. Notice the simulation frametime in 2.5.6.

Edit: And no, its not related to the Ka-50. I can jump in any module and get the same result.

The Objects and Polygon count have more than doubled from the 2.5.5 to 2.5.6 screenshot... which is weird, if it's the same mission.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The Objects and Polygon count have more than doubled from the 2.5.5 to 2.5.6 screenshot... which is weird, if it's the same mission.

Shut the front door... Can that be confirmed?

Based on the fps hit sounds about right... if not 3x the polys....

I think its interesting how FPS bumps up to (almost) normal when I pause mission (esc) and look around (VR) and then unpuase it becomes a god awful nightmare

I'm still waiting for a rolback patch to download.... 3 hours and counting.

My performance is still abysmal after the new patch, maybe a little worse even. Now I'm getting stutters and crashes too. As a mission maker I re-test the same missions on the same system all the time, so I have a good benchmark. DCS has never ran so bad.

SkateZilla, if you're right, that should explain everything. Fingers crossed for a quick fix!

My performance is still abysmal after the new patch, maybe a little worse even. Now I'm getting stutters and crashes too. As a mission maker I re-test the same missions on the same system all the time, so I have a good benchmark. DCS has never ran so bad.

+1 on everything you said.

Yea but thats the KA-50 new cockpit model. I get the same results in other modules too, which are identical.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Same mission, but with Harriers instead of the Ka-50. Has nothing to do with the poly and object count, albeit its marginally larger in 2.5.6.

For me its the simulation frametime, its 10 times larger in 2.5.6.

Screen_200221_114431.thumb.png.113a0c4c288735ed38efdc2bd7a905b4.png

Screen_200221_114713.thumb.png.413ee8fa0058026da1b056de72708c37.png

+1

Worst erformance since I am playing DCS, specially in VR.

It need to be fixed as soon as possible.

i7-8700K / 32GB RAM @3000 / 1TB M.2 SSD / Asus RTX 2080 Ti OC

VR- Gamer: Valve Index

Flight Gear: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Thrustmaster TPR / 3x Thrustmaster MFD / Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I Also see huge FPS hits when there are alot of contrails and smoke around on top of what is already poor performance.

I saw that someone had even looked into the poly count on the smoke and that seems to have more than doubled apparently.