Better Trees for Caucasus V6

FPS ?

size of textures?

Are good. According me they are lighter than default.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

outstanding workg @Taz1004 !

Thanks for your effort, this work should be done by Ed themselves but appartently Caucasus is not profitable therefore no interest in it.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Summer Dark in-progress. See full size. I've reduced saturation quite a bit and added gradation from top to bottom on distant trees so they have more volume. They were looking rather flat before because trees don't cast shadow on each other.

I've also decided to add substrate textures for each season. They just don't look right without it. And this way trees should blend in better regardless of terrain mod.

Preview_01.jpg

Very nice!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Hey, thanks Luc. I'm willing to help in any way I can if it's making DCS better for everyone.

But I doubt uncompressed texture format will be any use since the original texture file source are compressed jpeg's. Saving them again as uncompressed format would still keep jpeg compression artifacts in the image. And something like trees are so small and far away, compressed vs uncompressed doesn't make big difference in my opinion. But if you're requiring uncompressed version for your process for some reason, I'm willing to cooperate. :smilewink:

You are welcome to take my texture, edit them, and include with your mod. Small mention in the fine prints is suffice.

(...)

By the way, looking forward to your next version!

Many many thanks for your generous offer, I'm certainly considering it. thumbup.gif

Be sure, credits will be given.

Keep up with the development on this (please), it's great to see how things have been progressing every time we look in here. :book:

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Summer Dark in-progress. See full size. I've reduced saturation quite a bit and added gradation from top to bottom on distant trees so they have more volume. They were looking rather flat before because trees don't cast shadow on each other.

I've also decided to add substrate textures for each season. They just don't look right without it. And this way trees should blend in better regardless of terrain mod.

Looking brilliant!

Tested in VR .. better performance less recourses hog .. smoother

Lots of pop up trees..

IL2 trees style looks much better and rounder not like crossed planes. DCS 's major problem.

Try Mustangs textures latest version.

He incorporated this tree fix .

With tree slider to max, in 4k I dont see any pop up.

In fact the forests are the best ive seen!!

Caucasus is stunning with this mod.

ED take note!

Edited by aceviper

Was testing seasons in various time of the day. Pretty much done with all tweaking and just gotta wrap it up. View in 4K.

And I swear same graphic setting was used for default shots. Only difference is the tree mod.

No other graphic mods were used. All default except the tree mod. I had to use the default terrain as benchmark but it certainly looks much better with other terrain mods.

Hmm... how do you embed a YouTube video?

Edited by Taz1004

Was testing seasons in various time of the day. Pretty much done with all tweaking and just gotta wrap it up. View in 4K.

And I swear same graphic setting was used for default shots. Only difference is the tree mod.

No other graphic mods were used. All default except the tree mod. I had to use the default terrain as benchmark but it certainly looks much better with other terrain mods.

Hmm... how do you embed a YouTube video?

To show it, better do like this :):

sYULY1wpr7A

You can use and code for video only (not full link).

Btw. Nice job, cant wait to test v3!

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Nice Job ! :thumbsup:

I really appreciate the effort but...

Should be more real if...

Please check tree types/species what Causacus map use

Most of the conifers/pines/firs more or less are the same color in all seasons. (or snowy in winter)

Only deciduous trees should change colours/textures: vivid (incredibly) in spring, darker green in summertime, yellowish-rusty coloured in the autumn, and bald (no leaves) in dormancy/wintertime.

(however there are few deciduous conifers in the nature as well)

So only firs on (high) mountains should be always dark green. (or snowy)

sign-pic4.jpg

Hello guys !

First of all, thank you Taz for your mod, the video you just shared is really amazing !

I installed the current version of the mod and I have a problem that has been discussed a few posts above. At long distance, the trees depiction is a pattern of green dots ; I had this problem prior the installation of your mod and I thought that perhaps these new trees could solve my problem. Anyone knows how I could fix this situation ? Thanks.

3rd Wing | 55th Black Alligators * BA-33

Εις ανηρ ουδεις ανηρ

Nice Job ! :thumbsup:

I really appreciate the effort but...

Should be more real if...

Please check tree types/species what Causacus map use

Most of the conifers/pines/firs more or less are the same color in all seasons. (or snowy in winter)

Only deciduous trees should change colours/textures: vivid (incredibly) in spring, darker green in summertime, yellowish-rusty coloured in the autumn, and bald (no leaves) in dormancy/wintertime.

(however there are few deciduous conifers in the nature as well)

So only firs on (high) mountains should be always dark green. (or snowy)

Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to achieve that if there was more than just 3 tree types in the forest. Which itself is highly unrealistic. So achieving overall tonal balance with just 3 color was more important than being authentic with specific species of trees. If I keep fir always dark green, that means I have only 2 colors to play with. I'm not good enough to make forest look like 3 seasons with just 2 colors.

And I did try to keep fir (and other conifers) darker and greener than others in all 3 seasons.

Edited by Taz1004

Hello guys !

First of all, thank you Taz for your mod, the video you just shared is really amazing !

I installed the current version of the mod and I have a problem that has been discussed a few posts above. At long distance, the trees depiction is a pattern of green dots ; I had this problem prior the installation of your mod and I thought that perhaps these new trees could solve my problem. Anyone knows how I could fix this situation ? Thanks.

That is the way the game works. It is full 3D tree at close range, then 2D billboards, then flat texture on the ground with dots. It is there on my screenshots too at very far away. Distance where this occurs is controlled by Visibility range setting in your options. Also use max tree in the options. Trees don't add a lot to fps... at least for me.

Edited by Taz1004

็Holy ****ing shit thanks a lot for your hard work. This is my number one concern when playing DCS especially if I'm doing helo or close-in ground pounding. Aesthetically, I never have any issue with how the trees look back in 1.5 but with the introduction of speedtrees ED just can't get it right. IL2 GB absolutely killed DCS in this area.

Intel Core i5 2500K, 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Z68X-UD3-B3, GTX 1080 (ZOTAC International), SSD 850 EVO

Hi do I load the trees above the CGTC terrain mod in OVGME or does it matter?

I'm not sure what you mean by "above". If you mean load it on "top of" CGTC, then yes. Install tree mod AFTER any terrain mod. And overwrite when prompted.

I also found something interesting about the Substrate textures. They can be blended. This should reduce the polka dot effect in the distance some were complaining about. Was going to release v3 today but may be delayed until tomorrow.

I'm not sure what you mean by "above". If you mean load it on "top of" CGTC, then yes. Install tree mod AFTER any terrain mod. And overwrite when prompted.

I also found something interesting about the Substrate textures. They can be blended. This should reduce the polka dot effect in the distance some were complaining about. Was going to release v3 today but may be delayed until tomorrow.

Awesome buddy, many thanks again! :smilewink:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Getting deeper and deeper. I'm sure many of you have noticed the strange light spots on dark side of mountains. I know in production environment, people come and go. And new people take over for those who left. But it seems to me like someone forgot to leave a memo behind that these substrate textures are not supposed to be used as color map.

Trees are same in these shots, only the substrate texture has been altered.

Substrate_01.jpg

Substrate_02.jpg

Substrate_03.jpg

Substrate_04.jpg

I will be correcting these for version 3. This changes actually brings more shape to the distant mountains.

my man, I find it fascinating the stuff you're discovering... thank again!