DCS: F-14 Development Update - Enter the -A!

Cobra847

[*]As for the 135-GR (early) getting older weapons: possibly. We need to see what is available in DCS, and if we can add it, for example like the aim-7E. However, unlike the 95-GR it will not have weapon restrictions, as older versions flew at later dates, too, thus it will be up to mission designers to define its range of weapons.

I really hope you will make this happen! Having the AIm-7E as well as older (rear aspect only) Sidewinder variants is a must have for Cold War servers!

@Alpenwolf ;)

• Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

More like another two months. I don't know why they bother to even put out dates anymore, after 7 years they've demonstrated it will never be out when they say it will be out 100% of the time.

You know, I actually wouldn't have been mad if they could have bothered to say something beforehand. They put this out like 5 hours before patch release, like wtf. They've known for days the F-14A wasn't coming today, they weren't going to fix serious issues in a couple of hours.

Maybe not, maybe not.

From the newsletter I get the impression the product is very much ready by now - and so I believe it really will be available at the 18th !

So I've used the humorous expression, as I have no doubt this time it will really be ready in two weeks !

• Like 1

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Great update, I'm sure that all the A-lovers out there will appreciate it. I for one will stick with the B, this is the variant that IS the definitive Tomcat (in my book at least).

Please don't take this the wrong way but I am slightly worried about how much detail is going into simulating things that will maybe decrease performance for one of the most detailed modules already in DCS. This is my worry, I hope I'm wrong about that, however DCS is already very CPU intensive and maybe we don't need that much detail if our minimum FPS is going to suffer and the module is simply going to become a (relative) resource hog.

Again, I have the utmost respect for Heatblur, so please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Dear Heatblur Team, thank you for your amazing update on Tomcat development. There is one important thing I cannot find in the preliminary patch notes, though. Has the bug been fixed where Jester is stuck either in RWS or in TWS-A and is hammering away at his buttons. This bug is incredibly annoying and severely affects the combat capability sometimes. So, my question is has this been resolved? Did Jester get his meds?

Dear Heatblur Team, thank you for your amazing update on Tomcat development. There is one important thing I cannot find in the preliminary patch notes, though. Has the bug been fixed where Jester is stuck either in RWS or in TWS-A and is hammering away at his buttons. This bug is incredibly annoying and severely affects the combat capability sometimes. So, my question is has this been resolved? Did Jester get his meds?

Not yet. We are still unable to reproduce it on our side. How often do you get it in the meantime? Ofc we will keep looking for solutions until it is fixed. Eventually we will find the culprit I am sure.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Looking at the last couple of sorties I would say I get it as soon as I set up for my first BVR engagement. I fire my first Phoenix and Jester then immidiately switches to RWS and I cannot get back to TWS-A for one or two minutes. Result: first shot trashed and I need to run pants down as I cannot fight back effectively. Happens 9/10 times. And even if Jester finds a way to finally chill back there he has this unpleasant habit of denying me a way to get back to RWS exactly the moment I need to build my SA, me then being stuck in TWS-A with Jester doing his own thing back there. Look, Mike I know it must be really hard to find the culprit and I know how you guys need to test this. That's why most people do stay calm when this happens and have found a way to deal with Jester. But sadly this bug is around for much too long, now. I hope you can resolve it soon. It really is a p.i.t.a. in the meantime.

Looking at the last couple of sorties I would say I get it as soon as I set up for my first BVR engagement. I fire my first Phoenix and Jester then immidiately switches to RWS and I cannot get back to TWS-A for one or two minutes.

I noticed that it does look like Jester switches to RWS but really he just switches to TWS-A 2-bar 40° from 4-bar 20° - are you sure this is not what actually happens?

So many modules, so little time...

www.mikphotography.com

Looking at the last couple of sorties I would say I get it as soon as I set up for my first BVR engagement. I fire my first Phoenix and Jester then immidiately switches to RWS and I cannot get back to TWS-A for one or two minutes. Result: first shot trashed and I need to run pants down as I cannot fight back effectively. Happens 9/10 times. And even if Jester finds a way to finally chill back there he has this unpleasant habit of denying me a way to get back to RWS exactly the moment I need to build my SA, me then being stuck in TWS-A with Jester doing his own thing back there. Look, Mike I know it must be really hard to find the culprit and I know how you guys need to test this. That's why most people do stay calm when this happens and have found a way to deal with Jester. But sadly this bug is around for much too long, now. I hope you can resolve it soon. It really is a p.i.t.a. in the meantime.

Thank you for the kind feedback. I totally get it, the back infuriates me a lot, I really really hate it that you guys have to deal with this and I wish it would have been fixed the day before yesterday. As soon as I am done with the campaign I'll see what we can do to get a better grip of it, in the meantime the rest of the team is looking as well.

If you could do me a huge favor please: if it happens to you again, since it seems to happen rather early for you: could you exit, save the track, send it to us? We need very short tracks if possible, preferable not including carrier spawns or landings, so your situation might help in that. That would be great. Not sure it will guide our focus in the right direction, but there is always a chance. Thank you!

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Oh my god, Heatblur going above and beyond! :thumbup:

Loving this update!

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

There is only one response for an update like this.....

WOW

you guys have really outdone yourselves, what a stunning update that’s heading our way, while I appreciate the B is the more modern Cat, there is something about the A that it just cry’s out to fly. I’ve read some many books and story’s about the A model, I can’t wait to try it myself.

Only one slight issue is I don’t know how to fly the cat at all, BUT I will be starting my training tonight. Honestly cannot wait. Just mindblowing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I noticed that it does look like Jester switches to RWS but really he just switches to TWS-A 2-bar 40° from 4-bar 20° - are you sure this is not what actually happens?

Sorry for totally overlooking your post, veenee. Yeah, I am totally sure Jester switches back to RWS. If he just switched the TWS-A scan pattern the bugged contact would not be lost every time. This wouldn't make any sense. Instead, he goes to wide search RWS right after I get my first Phoenix off. Contacts are then shown as staples/unknown with any further IFF info. I can STT contacts this way but any TWS related stuff is gone and the first TWS shot is trashed. Turning cold and then hot again to see if Jester would use IFF to identify any new contacts showed he would not. Also, no furhter TWS trackfiles are generated. So, in my opinion it has to be RWS.

• Like 1

With such an update, I can wait for another two weeks™ (I see what you did there!), no problem.

But maybe you could lend that guy who fixed the sdefs to RAZBAM for a day or two to fix the Harrier being audible over literally everything even from like 20 miles regardless of its power setting... rdlaught.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Am I supposed to care?

I'm sure you will not .. On my side, I don't care what negative people writes, so I will add you to the ignore list.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

We would love to do all 4 Forrestal class carriers, however please expect only the Forrestal for the time being. As you can see, a lot of the burden we put on ourselves with additional content turns out far bigger than expected or takes far longer than expected as is. In that sense we want to focus on the core features that are necessary for the release. Changing the island a bit or smaller such rather "unnecessary nice-to-have" items, say on a pure eye-candy level, etc., will have to take a back step for the moment. We will simply have to see if we find time for them.

So, only the Forrestal and not the others, as far as current plans go?

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

So, only the Forrestal and not the others, as far as current plans go?

For now yes. Which is totally fine as long as we get a high quality Forrestal with basic functionality. However, it would be cool to have the other ships they mentioned in the past sometimes next year once the main development cycle comes to an end. I do understand however how much work it is to model all the island and texture/equipment differences of the various carriers of the same class.

Looking good, can't wait. Have a couple question/requests. Will/can we get the option to remove TCS completely for both the USN F-14A-135-GR, AND the IRIAF F-14A-95-GR, because personally I hate the look of the jets with the bullet fairing. Also any possibility for glove vanes on any of the planned versions??

Thanks again, great work.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Looking good, can't wait. Have a couple question/requests. Will/can we get the option to remove TCS completely for both the USN F-14A-135-GR, AND the IRIAF F-14A-95-GR, because personally I hate the look of the jets with the bullet fairing. Also any possibility for glove vanes on any of the planned versions??

Thanks again, great work.

No on the glove vanes, those were barely used operationally and either welded shut or removed from the factory alltogether. And yes if you read carefully they mention that removing the TCS will be optional for the early A's and the IRIAF cat. will come without the TCS by default (only ALQ and light).