We Want To Hear Your Ideas For A New Map In DCS!

15 hours ago, draconus said:

You'll fly outside of high fidelity area and that's it. Next high fidelity area... NTTR 🙂

NTTR fly 245 mag from Las Vegas for 125NM and you arrive at China Lake NWS airfield.  From up at 20,000-35,000 feet it looks okay.  But down low, it's very apparent it has low res texture...its just a satellite picture, no details.

For a Vietnam Map, no one "should" fly low level from Takhli or Korat Air Bases in Thailand to North Vietnam.  Would burn too much fuel down there.  So that terrain could be of lower detail texturing, I would think.  Does that save any gigabytes on map size?  I don't understand what really does use up the GB's.  For that matter, why couldn't the poly level be the same as NTTR or Normandy?  If there's a will, there's a way.

Well, the topic said they wanted to hear our ideas for a new map in DCS.  I don't know if the request is truly from a map developer, but I and several others expressed our wishes for the Vietnam map.  That's all we can do.  Hear us, or don't.  But there was a substantial amount of air combat activity that took place in that area of the globe from 1965 to 1972, including a little operation called Linebacker II that involved 129 B-52's in the air at one time on a bombing mission!  And included land-based, island based and carrier-based aircraft.

Then I would guess North/South Korea would be of similar size and not possible, either.  How about a Maple Flag map, up by Cold Lake, Alberta/Saskatchewan, Canada?  That might be about 300 x 300 NM...but like NTTR, excludes naval operations.  Other than that, people's ideas are all over the place.  Gulf of Sidra?...because there were a few incidents and Operation Eldorado Canyon there?  Korea, Vietnam, Iraq.  Those are the big three...and they are big...I think people have had enough of desert, though.  The developer will have to choose what they want to do.  That's my tiny opinion.

13 minutes ago, Andrew8604 said:

For a Vietnam Map, no one "should" fly low level from Takhli or Korat Air Bases in Thailand to North Vietnam.  Would burn too much fuel down there.  So that terrain could be of lower detail texturing, I would think.  Does that save any gigabytes on map size?  I don't understand what really does use up the GB's.  For that matter, why couldn't the poly level be the same as NTTR or Normandy?  If there's a will, there's a way.

I just said I doubt it will be done that way because a low detail area in the middle of the map is a no-go currently both because the low level interdiction is a thing and there are helicopters - and they don't fly at high altitude. This is a map in a simulator - you can't say how and what users can do with it. Yes, low detail does save on some data size, depending on what you omit - some fields or desert - then not much but a large city - probably a few GBs. New map data size consists of new textures (that's the biggest one), objects and terrain mesh. Could be low poly - yes - but the expected detail level is higher now than on older maps then.

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I think a southern Vietnam map can be done without too much hodgepodge.

It's really the only way to go without requiring unfeasible map-sizes.

Southern Vietnam comes with most of the fun-stuff and it could be stretched far enough west to cover anti HCMT-missions in Laos and Cambodia.

You won't have the higher RPs (Hanoi, Haiphong, etc) to play with, but you'll still have an extensive area to work on.

Plus you'll get to play on Dixie Station.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

On 7/26/2021 at 6:17 AM, danielzambaux said:

Hi All!

My name is Dan and as part of a 3rd Party Map project for DCS, we want to hear your (the community's) opinion on a new map!

So, before I confuse some of you, let me explain who "we" are.

Astronomix  is a team of 3 'developers' looking to create an official 3rd party map for DCS, but we cant do it without some input from the community!

We want to know what maps you all would want in DCS, to help us better judge what we want to develop in the future!

Our team is still very much in its infancy - but as time goes on, we will set our sights on making an official 3rd party map for DCS, but that cannot be done without your input and opinions!

So, please leave any votes/ opinions in the comments below, and we will look at these as potential ideas for a future map!

For any questions, or to contact us directly, our discord can be found here = https://discord.gg/4KnnJCZjkP

Thanks all,

- Dan

1. Southeast Asia (Vietnam and/or Korea and/or North Korea and a chunk of China)
2. Adriatic Sea (Aviano airbase, east side of Italy, and most of former Yugoslavia)
3. Fulda Gap

• Like 1

Hi, a map (even in low res-details) that include north east of Italy and part of the Balkans it would be usefoul for recent operations like allied force and deliberate force, 
ww2 like breakthrough the gothic line and maybe one day for ww1 battles like Istrana battle ecc! 
The extension of the map is the same of Caucasus and the area of operations is the balkans that is a low population density area with a few big cities!

image.png

Edited by dr.barber
  • Like 5

if they can't do for some reasons, Afganistan, Korea, Vietnam or any other region that has some relevance to this game then is either hole Earth o good luck with the Northern part of South pole or whatever others suggested  looking out their window.

Edited by zaelu
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

23 minutes ago, zaelu said:

if they can't do for some reasons, Afghanistan, Korea, Vietnam or any other region that has some relevance to this game then is either hole Earth o good luck with the Northern part of South pole or whatever others suggested  looking out their window.

If we go for Antarctica, South Pole, or North Pole regions, then we should be safe.  In these parts, people can use their imagine to create new missions and campaigns.

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb zaelu:

if they can't do for some reasons, Afganistan, Korea, Vietnam or any other region that has some relevance to this game then is either hole Earth o good luck with the Northern part of South pole or whatever others suggested  looking out their window.

Hmm, Abkhazia/South Ossetia and Georgia are quite relevant, so is Syria.

Afghanistan and Vietnam were not the only conflict zones after WW II.

Just saying...

• Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Avalanche110:

Would Pilots be willing to sacrifice carrier ops for an Afghanistan map?

I certainly would, and would love to hear what others think also.

@danielzambaux "If you build it, they will come"

Yes, I definitely would, though a simple extension to the south, with low detail beyond the Pakistani border at Helmand should work to add a bit of ocean...Screenshot_20210902-161047~2.png

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

On 7/26/2021 at 2:17 PM, G.J.S said:

Could be an interesting area . . . .

2D91326C-6031-4FC3-84A0-62F4993D0A80.jpeg

Yes. Now that has some serious geopolitical dimensions even today and during WW2 Eastern Baltic saw some really heavy fighting. There are some interesting historical mission possibilities for WW2, Cold War period with Viggen and or F5 as well as Mig's. Modern day, well you see all the types in the area from Finnish Hornets, Polish Mig-29's to F16's and USAF F15's. Lots and lots of possibilities and a very varied and interesting terrain.

This would be a 300km circle.

Baltic map.jpeg

Edited by Baltic Pirate
added chart
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, shagrat said:

Yes, I definitely would, though a simple extension to the south, with low detail beyond the Pakistani border at Helmand should work to add a bit of ocean...Screenshot_20210902-161047~2.png

Yes, this would be a really, really great map.  It is possible to use the existing Soviet jets and military choppers from the 1980's.  You can also use the American jets and military choppers from 2000's to present.

• Like 1

How many desert maps do we need? I vote Balkans (or former Yugoslavia + maybe some of Italy) or Vietnam. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Since we have Syria and Cyprus i would like also to see Greece to added there.Few words about Greece:

Beach

Greece as a peninsula is surrounded by sea. Its main feature is the rich division of its beaches and many of its islands. They have bays, coves, peninsulas, capes and islands in such a proportion that we do not find it in any other country. The length of the coasts of Greece is 15,020 kilometers.

Seas

Greece with its islands is bathed by the Mediterranean. The following seas are formed: Ionian, Myrto, Aegean, Thracian, Ikarian, Cretan, Carpathian and Libyan.
Islands 

Large and small islands (3000) are scattered in all our seas, which frame and beautify the mainland. Most are located in the Aegean Sea. In total, There are 151 islands, inhabited. Many other small islands are uninhabited and have an area of 348 sq. Km. The largest islands are Crete, Evia and Rhodes. We divide the islands into larger complexes. These complexes are: 1. Ionian Islands or Ionian Islands (Corfu, Ithaca, Lefkada etc.), 2. Myrtos Islands (Kythira-Antikythira), 3. Northern Sporades (Skopelos, Skyros, Skiathos etc.), 4. Evia , 5. Aegean Islands (Lesvos, Chios, Samos, Cyclades, Dodecanese, Saronic, Argolic islands etc.), 6. Crete.

Bays

The most important gulfs are: Amvrakikos, Patraikos, Korinthiakos, Kyparissiakos, Mesiniakos, Lakonikos, Argolikos, Evoikos, Thermaikos, Kassandra, Mount Athos, Strymonikos, Kavala, Chania, Souda, Saronic, Pagan.

Ports, Peninsulas, Cape, Rivers
Strait
 The strait of Evripos in Evia, whose minimum width is 40m. In this strait the tide takes place. Every 6 hours 
the averagelevel rises and falls.CanalsThe Corinth Canal (length 6.3 km)
Terrain
 The territory of Greece is mountainous and semi-mountainous at a rate of more than 3/4. At 131,944 sq. Km, 
about 100,000 are mountainous and semi-mountainous. They cross the country from one end to the other, high or low
mountains, which intersect with each other and close small and not very fertile plains. In Western Greece there 
is the mountain range of Pindos, which is a continuation of the Dinaric Alps. In Eastern Greece we have the 
branches of Blood.The highest mountain in Greece is Olympus, with a height of 2,917 m. We list the highest 
mountains in Greece in order of their height. 1. Olympus (2,917 m.) 2. Smolikas (2,637 m.) 3. North (2,524 m.) 
4. Line (2,520 m.) 5. Giona (2,510 m.) 6. Tymfi (2,497 m.) 7. Athamanika (2,469 m.) 8. Parnassos (2,497 m.) 
9. Psiloritis (2,456 m.) 10. Lefka Ori (2,452 m.).
Plains
 Several plains, valleys and plateaus are formed between the mountains. The plains of Thessaly, Thessaloniki, 
Eastern Macedonia and Thrace are somewhat more extensive. However, other smaller plains are relatively fertile, 
such as Arta, Agrinio, Boeotia, Argos and others smaller.
Lake
 There are many lakes in Greece. Most are located in the northern regions of the country and do not have much 
depth.

greece-physical-map.jpg

Edited by slowmover
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]