DCS: Normandy 2.0 preview

MAESTR0

49 minutes ago, ThorBrasil said:

This map will make me fly WWII again.

This map will make me fly Apache even more!!

• Like 2

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

13 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

This map will make me fly Apache even more!!

Sorry for the question, but why in Apache? Because of the high detail in low flight?

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

@MAESTR0 Oh goodness, Saint Andre!  Flers!  Beaumont-le-Roger!  Fecamp!  I love it!

There are still some other airfields I'd hope to see in France in the future as well.  We are still missing Brogile, Melun-Villaroche, Montidier, Rosieres/Méharicourt, and Dreux/Dreux-Vernouillet.  As a second tier, Bernay Saint-Martin, Saint-Valery-en-Caux, and Paris-Buc.  The French landscape was speckled with hundreds of landing grounds, airfields and airdromes.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

On 2/17/2023 at 1:57 PM, MAESTR0 said:

Airmans don't worry
We were very careful with the lighting setup, we tried to make the lighting not very intense, not as bright as it is in peacetime.
And in the default settings of 1944 the lighting is off, the lighting will appear only if you select 1945. Everyone can choose the lighting mode that he needs.

Amazing, you guys are going above and beyond, I can't wait! Any idea if it will be part of the big update on March 1st?

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

Close to release, eh?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

10 hours ago, ThorBrasil said:

Sorry for the question, but why in Apache? Because of the high detail in low flight?

Absolutely! Stunning map and I don't do WW2. Hornet and Apache, London - Paris, I don't mind 1940's. 🙂

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

3 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

Absolutely! Stunning map and I don't do WW2. Hornet and Apache, London - Paris, I don't mind 1940's. 🙂

He's doing the going back in time and wiping out half the German front lines with an Apache scenario... pretty standard stuff.

• Thanks 2

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

3 minutes ago, trevoC said:

He's doing the going back in time and wiping out half the German front lines with an Apache scenario... pretty standard stuff.

Oh, then I must get the WWII asset pack 🙂 Good idea!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MAESTR0 said:

Today we will see what airfields we have and how many there are in total,

I'm beginning to feel a little apprehensive now. What's the going rate for a 4TB NVMe again? Because this stellar work will needs an appropriate housing... (also proves that DCS itself is a cheap hobby... compared to the tools required to play it 🙂 ) 

58 minutes ago, Marklar said:

Where is Biggin Hill?

Biggin Hill is already on the Channel map. No single airfield from the Channel map is remade for the Normandy 2.0 map (even though I believe technically Biggin Hill would be located in the high detail area of Normandy 2.0). This makes me believe that eventually the plan is to merge the two maps – though this might be wishful thinking.

Anyhow, beautiful screenshots! There seem to be many complaints about the colors of the grass. I do get that impression on some of the screens, but in the latest videos the colors actually look perfect to me. Just like on the Channel map. Another reason to believe that one day they might be connected.

10 hours ago, Sandman24 said:

Biggin Hill is already on the Channel map. No single airfield from the Channel map is remade for the Normandy 2.0 map (even though I believe technically Biggin Hill would be located in the high detail area of Normandy 2.0). This makes me believe that eventually the plan is to merge the two maps – though this might be wishful thinking.

Anyhow, beautiful screenshots! There seem to be many complaints about the colors of the grass. I do get that impression on some of the screens, but in the latest videos the colors actually look perfect to me. Just like on the Channel map. Another reason to believe that one day they might be connected.

So airfields like Biggin Hill, RAF Manston, and Dover aren’t on the map at all?  Or are they on the map, but in low detail?

If they are on the map I’d like to see screenshots of those airfields, so we know “how low is low detail.”

This is the first “2.0” of any map, as well as the first time two entities released DCS products that overlap… and I feel it’s been handled horribly.

*The announcement that claimed it was an “upgrade” and fully compatible Vs the F.A.Q. saying it was all new and not compatible…

*The whole “L-shaped” map: hi-res/low-res crap.

*Why didn’t Ugra upgrade their map further West and let DCS expand their Channel Map further East?  Instead they enveloped an area they aren’t even allowed to map fully.

*Does DCS plan on a Channel 2.0?  If not, why can’t Ugra model the Channel area in full detail?

It’s all very frustrating.

• Like 4

Hanging out for the release of this map. It is looking so good. 

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

I wouldn't be too frustrated about the L-shaped business. Ugra will probably not confirm this, but the way I see it they are making it as easy as possible for the two maps (N2 and Channel) to be stitched together at some point. Perhaps modders will be able to do this. Or even better, once the N2 map is out, the Channel map will probably not sell too well any more. So I could imagine that ED might eventually give their Channel data to Ugra, so they can very quickly expand the N2 map to cover the entire region.

Have some faith. It would be best for all parties involved (Ugra, ED, the player base) to end up with a single high quality WWII map. It is bound to happen sooner or later. And if I may make a suggestion for when that time comes: please make a 1941 and a 1944 version of that map. Should be fairly easy to do once everything is in place.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Barrett_g said:

So airfields like Biggin Hill, RAF Manston, and Dover aren’t on the map at all?  Or are they on the map, but in low detail?

If they are on the map I’d like to see screenshots of those airfields, so we know “how low is low detail.”

This is the first “2.0” of any map, as well as the first time two entities released DCS products that overlap… and I feel it’s been handled horribly.

*The announcement that claimed it was an “upgrade” and fully compatible Vs the F.A.Q. saying it was all new and not compatible…

*The whole “L-shaped” map: hi-res/low-res crap.

*Why didn’t Ugra upgrade their map further West and let DCS expand their Channel Map further East?  Instead they enveloped an area they aren’t even allowed to map fully.

*Does DCS plan on a Channel 2.0?  If not, why can’t Ugra model the Channel area in full detail?

It’s all very frustrating.

Yeah I really don't get this. I do hope the plan is to merge, as Biggin Hill is a huge omission in my opinion. 

Edited by Sawyer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Barrett_g said:

I'm 100% sure Dover airfield isn't on the map, as its never existed anywhere other than in your post.

Its possible you mean Hawkinge, which is actually just outside of Folkestone, not Dover, located in the village of....... Hawkinge. 

• Like 2