DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

4 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

thanks we are looking into it, for me I dont get the crash with motion reprojection forced on so we are trying to figure out why it is happening for some and not others 

Hi @BIGNEWY, I am really happy that we got native OpenXR in the last patch, however we don't have the proper documentation to set it up correctly (hence this post). I have a few questions for you and the team:

1. Since we have native support do we still need OpenComposite or not (from what I have read here the answer should be no for DCS, but if we use it for other games will it cause conflits with DCS).
  2. Same question but this time for the OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality App from the Microsoft Store.
  3. The OpenXR Toolkit is a must IMO for us using OpenXR, it allows to set different parameters and allows some overlays in game. Does DCS intend to add this kind of GUI in the future directly in the base install?
  4. If we don't have the OpenXR Toolkit is there a way to change the parameters in our DCS install. This is maybe via line code or a config lua somewhere?

Thank you! 

*Ps. maybe add this in the first post, I am pretty sure I am not the only one with these questions.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AMVI_Boomer said:

Just for INFO but the tool WMR DEBUG TOOL - cross eye alignment is still working??? I need it..please (I've tried to follow the instruction but even if I delete the .log file the tool doesn't appear

yeah feeling a bit 🤪

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

updated first post 

• OpenXR is removed from autosearch. DCS has a chain of VR vendors in priority oculus, OpenVR, Varjo, etc. OpenXR was in that chain in top priority, now it is removed from this chain and only available when you explicitly specify it in command line of DCS.

If you need to force openXR in DCS command parameter is --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

motion reprojection crash is fixed. 

thank you

Sorry, but after reading all 6 pages my mind is a little bit on info overload. 

For the Index, besides the SteamVR menu setting for OpenXR,  do we need to add the start parameters to our shortcut to try OpenXR?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

Yes, it backs to "as it was" but if you want to try OpenXR you have to add this text to your shortcuts.

Edited by YoYo
  • Thanks 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

10 minutes ago, Hartsblade said:

Sorry, but after reading all 6 pages my mind is a little bit on info overload. 

For the Index, besides the SteamVR menu setting for OpenXR,  do we need to add the start parameters to our shortcut to try OpenXR?

after the DCS.exe add --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

26 minutes ago, whisky.actual said:

Since we have native support do we still need OpenComposite or not

OpenComposite Launcher was never required to run DCS in openxr. You could just replace stock openvr_api.dll with https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64&branch=openxr.

You can do the same for all other VR games.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

Where do i add the --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR I tried after where it says dcs.exe it said that was invalid, I tried before it, again invalid. Can someone please put up a pic of what I'm meant to do. I know for all you clever clogs who do this sort of thing its a no brainer but if you don't know , you don't know.  Much appreciated.

1 minute ago, Gogsie59 said:

Where do i add the --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR I tried after where it says dcs.exe it said that was invalid, I tried before it, again invalid. Can someone please put up a pic of what I'm meant to do. I know for all you clever clogs who do this sort of thing its a no brainer but if you don't know , you don't know.  Much appreciated.

It was before:

Screenshot 2023-01-27 123034.png

On the shortcut for your DCS.exe (on the desktop).

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

2 minutes ago, Marklar said:

OpenComposite Launcher was never required to run DCS in openxr. You could just replace stock openvr_api.dll with https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64&branch=openxr.

You can do the same for all other VR games.

True, but I had a 1 click button to keep my DLL always updated to the current version:
image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You beat me to it:

image.png

• Thanks 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

4 minutes ago, Gogsie59 said:

Záznam na celú obrazovku 27. 1. 2023 160756.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YoYo said:

It was before:

Screenshot 2023-01-27 123034.png

On the shortcut for your DCS.exe (on the desktop).

Thanks, yes I saw that and was trying to copy but it says invalid. In anycase mine doesnt look like that it doesnt say testing 2nd, do i need to add that.

2 minutes ago, jurinko said:

Záznam na celú obrazovku 27. 1. 2023 160756.jpg

thank you thank you, exactly what I was looking for. You are a gentleman.

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

5 minutes ago, Gogsie59 said:

Thanks, yes I saw that and was trying to copy but it says invalid. In anycase mine doesnt look like that it doesnt say testing 2nd, do i need to add that.

@BIGNEWY has a testing build :), dont look at this.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

I know there have been issues with openXR, but I just wanted to say thanks to ED for adding this to DCS. For me, it makes DCS just about playable (enjoyably) in VR vs not. I was using open composite and it made a huge difference.

Edited by Solemn-laugh
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Solemn-laugh said:

I know there have been issues with openXR, but I just wanted to say thanks to ED for adding this to DCS. For me, it makes DCS just about playable (enjoyably) in VR vs not. I was using open composite and it made a huge difference.

Agreed.  This get's us one step closer towards VR nirvana of Vulkan, DLSS etc.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

43 minutes ago, Gogsie59 said:

I had the same problem. I created a new shortcut on the desktop and tried again... it worked.

53 minutes ago, Solemn-laugh said:

Yeah it was really hard to believe they included native Open XR support in the update without even mentioning it in the changelog. I mean for VR users that was a pretty big deal.

• Like 4

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just gave Open XR native a try with my Aero for kicks and grins. Did not have quad screen and image looked good in headset however mouse cursor all messed up, can't really click on anything so it is unusable as is for me in the Aero. Back to Steam VR for now, hopefully ED gets a fix for this pushed asap.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am running Pimax XR and  Open XR Tool Kit . DCS is running stable now, but in the modern planes it's like i have reprojection on. I get double vision. This does not happen in the older modules like Gazelle, HIP and Huey. It's odd to say the least. I double checked I do not have motion reproduction on anywhere.

I liked SteamVR with a shader for spotting WWII enemy planes on the 4YA Server.  I also have the Runtime Composite Switcher to run OpenXR in IL-2 and MSFS 2020.  Yesterday was the biggest fiasco ED has ever pulled on its subscribers.  Now, I’m reading there is a new patch out.  With this new patch, will I be able to use SteamVR with the shaders as I did before the big update?  Thx…

hace 3 horas, Munkwolf dijo:

Reverb G2, using the new --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR command line options, i am getting crashes when motion reprojection is set to 'always on' in openxr tools. 'automatic' and 'disabled' seem to work.

hace 3 horas, Elidji dijo:

Yep, same for me.

What version of windows do you have?

3 hours ago, Munkwolf said:

Reverb G2, using the new --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR command line options, i am getting crashes when motion reprojection is set to 'always on' in openxr tools. 'automatic' and 'disabled' seem to work.

I get the same with Windows 10

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat