MT freezes even in main menu

2 hours ago, sze5003 said:

I used processor lasso to do that but it didn't help much with the microstutters in flight. I also have hags turned off but use it in other games.

I lowered some settings and it's helped a bit but they are still pretty apparent.

So is it stuttering in the game or stuttering in the menu as well?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

So is it stuttering in the game or stuttering in the menu as well?
Mostly it's pretty consistent stuttering in game while I'm flying. Once in a while it will freeze in the main menu or on exiting a mission and that is when unchecking cpu 8 from affinity list unfreezes it.

But the stutters while flying occur randomly and often in VR. Even when I see that asw is engaged and I'm at 45fps I'll get stutter or I'll see the frame time graph jump both cpu and GPU graphs dip. I'll usually get the stutter before I realize the graphs have dipped too.
  • Like 1

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

3 hours ago, sze5003 said:

Mostly it's pretty consistent stuttering in game while I'm flying. Once in a while it will freeze in the main menu or on exiting a mission and that is when unchecking cpu 8 from affinity list unfreezes it.

But the stutters while flying occur randomly and often in VR. Even when I see that asw is engaged and I'm at 45fps I'll get stutter or I'll see the frame time graph jump both cpu and GPU graphs dip. I'll usually get the stutter before I realize the graphs have dipped too.

OK, yeah thats something different. You will get stutters if something broken is being rendered. Have a look at your dcs.log and look for errors. I have a similar system to yours, and even in VR I can fly stutter free with my settings maxed out.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

OK, yeah thats something different. You will get stutters if something broken is being rendered. Have a look at your dcs.log and look for errors. I have a similar system to yours, and even in VR I can fly stutter free with my settings maxed out.
Ok in that case I'm not sure what it could be. I did make my own thread with my logs posted. I didn't see any errors in there.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/336798-help-with-performance-issues-with-mt-dcs-vr-quest-pro

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Interesting video from Jabbers about VRAM usage:

His workaround was to reduce the number of CPU cores so that I/O threads don't step on each others toes when loading textures.

Potentially related to our issue, is our "disable core 8" solution maybe similar to his "use only 4 cores"? Or is it just coincidence and another reminder that Multithreading is hard on modern CPU architectures?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect a bit of both, for me dropping to four cores really tanks my performance, dropping core 0 and then dropping all the v-cores and e-cores gives me the best results 

I also suspect that jabbers is talking about a similar, though different problem 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

His workaround was to reduce the number of CPU cores so that I/O threads don't step on each others toes when loading textures.

Potentially related to our issue, is our "disable core 8" solution maybe similar to his "use only 4 cores"? Or is it just coincidence and another reminder that Multithreading is hard on modern CPU architectures?

I can tell you the MT version absolutely hates my 4 core i5-7500 but the ST version works perfectly smoothly in it. If they take the ST version away I'm going to be forced to spend all my module money for the foreseeable future on a new CPU and maybe a new motherboard to support it.

I can tell you the MT version absolutely hates my 4 core i5-7500 but the ST version works perfectly smoothly in it. If they take the ST version away I'm going to be forced to spend all my module money for the foreseeable future on a new CPU and maybe a new motherboard to support it.
Same here with i5 6600K

Изпратено от моят SM-G525F с помощта на Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Archaic said:

I have a AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D and getting this as well.  Stutters every 5 seconds even sitting at main menu.

If you're running the OpenXR Tool kit Companion App, try disabling or runnig it in safe mode.

Mine recently started doing the 5 sec freeze. I was testing something else and switched off turbo mode, problems for me started after I switched it back on.

After realizing the stutters went away in disabled mode, I uninstalled then reinstalled OXRTK and it's fine again.   

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

My PC config is AMD 760K    GTX1660S    32G RAM     WD hardisk   ,  When I updated to 2.9,  use MT mode to run game ,very stuttering in the game  ,I  use the processor lasso to disable one cpu core,  try everyone ,  still  stuttering and freeze,   but yesterday ,  When I disable CPU1,  still stuttering ,  then I  to enable CPU1,  I found the stutter disappeared ..............

• Like 1

I can only add that the last update increased the frametimes for me in the menu from 1.6ms to 10.5ms (CPU) and DCS can't maintain 45fps in VR that way (in the menu!), despite both frametimes being in the green.  The menu is not 'stuttering' or lagging, but that drop in performance in MT is massive and flying in MT is no longer an option....

In comparison the ST version has a CPU frametime of 0.8ms in the menu and and the HMD is locked at 90fps (HMD max)

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot play BlueFlag Caucasus 80s, the lockups are so bad. By the time the lockup is finished, my 64 is damaged on the ground. 😞

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

• ED Team
3 hours ago, DAZnBLAST said:

Cannot play BlueFlag Caucasus 80s, the lockups are so bad. By the time the lockup is finished, my 64 is damaged on the ground. 😞

make a new thread with your dcs log, its the only way we can try to help you

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

So, played again today on BF 80s. No major lockups, just miniscule lockups? Who knows, server restart sorted it? Different players in the server today? Different cloud formations today? Who knows!

• Like 1

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

• 1 month later...

I'm just curious whether this is even being worked on?  The issue is fairly old and it sounds like it's affecting a lot of people.  I would totally understand if MT was problematic for a small number of people with very non-standard rigs, but it mainly seems to affect people with the latest Intel CPUs and latest Nvidia GPUs.  I assume ST will be retired at some point, and when that happens, are some of us going to find ourselves without a playable game?

Edited by Yodeling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I moved the audiodg.exe process to a seperate thread from DCS and set the fps limit to 60 with Nvidia CPL. Also put DCS on P-cores only.
This seems to have helped some, but still I get some audio and game stutters, so hoping ED can fix this soon.

I play almost only in VR, the few times I tried flatscreen I don't have any issues and get extreem FPS's...
In ST VR it seems to work, but then I get issues with FPS on complex campaigns, so MT is almost a must.

HW: Intel i5 13600K, 64Gb DDR5, RTX 4090, Winwing Orion 2 HOTAS, TM TPR rudderpedals, Pico 4 VR+VirtualDesktop (VDXR), Win11
DCS: F-5, F-86, F-16, F-15E, FA-18, F-14, Harrier, Viggen, M-2000C, A-10C, AH-64, UH-1, Mi-8, Mi-24, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mig-21, P-47, P-51, Spitfire, Mosquito, Bf-109, Fw-190A, Fw-190D, Yak-52, C101, all maps & tech, SuperCarrier

On 1/14/2024 at 4:22 AM, Yodeling said:

I'm just curious whether this is even being worked on?  The issue is fairly old and it sounds like it's affecting a lot of people.  I would totally understand if MT was problematic for a small number of people with very non-standard rigs, but it mainly seems to affect people with the latest Intel CPUs and latest Nvidia GPUs.  I assume ST will be retired at some point, and when that happens, are some of us going to find ourselves without a playable game?

There are various workarounds for this issue. While they are indeed annoying that make the game playable, so you definitely won't end up without a playable game.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

5 hours ago, QuiGon said:

There are various workarounds for this issue. While they are indeed annoying that make the game playable, so you definitely won't end up without a playable game.

This issue is half a year old. At this point in time, I was kinda hoping for a "workaround" built into the game by ED themselves.

Seen a lot of new stuff in the DCS news like Vulkan, Dynamic campaign, ... how is that going to work out if MT craps out on pretty common hardware?

• Like 1

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

This issue is half a year old. At this point in time, I was kinda hoping for a "workaround" built into the game by ED themselves.

Seen a lot of new stuff in the DCS news like Vulkan, Dynamic campaign, ... how is that going to work out if MT craps out on pretty common hardware?

Not all hardware works well with multithreading. We continue to work on multithreading and tweak. 

Can you link me to a post with your dcs log and dxdiag so we can take a close look at your machine and setup. 

thank you

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Can you link me to a post with your dcs log and dxdiag so we can take a close look at your machine and setup. 

Here you go:

Please also note that this is just one log among many logs in this thread with similar hardware (12th-gen/13-th gen intel).

• Like 1

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

Here you go:

Please also note that this is just one log among many logs in this thread with similar hardware (12th-gen/13-th gen intel).

thank you 

On 1/15/2024 at 3:56 PM, Kobymaru said:

So do I, but as long as that's not the case I keep disabling CPU core #8 for DCS in the Task Manager everytime I launch DCS which makes the issue go away, so I'm not afraid of DCS becoming unplayable if ST gets removed eventually. Having to use such workarounds is pretty annoying of course, but at least it allows me to enjoy DCS while ED tries to fix the issue which doesn't seem to be trivial.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 1/15/2024 at 10:04 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Not all hardware works well with multithreading. We continue to work on multithreading and tweak. 

Frankly, I don't understand how this is possible.  I won't presume to understand the complexities of debugging a complex game engine, but as someone who fixed thousands of bugs over several decades (even multithreading bugs), it never took me more than a few days to pinpoint an issue, and no more than a week or two to fix it (usually a couple hours).  The only time I couldn't fix a bug quickly is if:  A) I couldn't reproduce it, or B) It wasn't priority.  I find it hard to believe that after many months this issue cannot be reproduced, especially since this seems to be pretty consistent with every 12th/13th/14th gen Intel CPU in stock configuration, and it can be reproduced by literally launching the game and sitting in the main menu.  Which leads me to believe that the problem is option B (It's not a priority).

Edited by Yodeling
  • Thanks 2