DCS Newsletter discussion 29th September 2023 - DCS 2.9 Sneak Peak | Multiplayer Development Progress | B-17G Livery Contest Winners 

BIGNEWY

27 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

After that update with all-new radio features is there still something missing to replace good "old" SRS?

DCS Voice Chat Roadmap -

• Q4 2019
    • Bug fixing of the initial release
    • Illumination of the PTT button while transmitting

[*]Iteration 1 - Q1 2020

• User-created rooms
    • Auto-created rooms for multi-crew
    • Auto-created rooms for key frequencies set in the Mission Editor

[*]Iteration 2

• Show the name of the user who is talking at the moment
    • Possibility to tune volume of own mic
    • Possibility to put on/off the voice of any user
    • Possibility to tune the volume of any user
    • Mic self-test
    • Software boost of the audio signal

[*]Iteration 3

• Frequency-based coms
    • Encrypted radio
    • Possibility to work with few radios simultaneously

[*]Iteration 4

• Radio effects on voice transmission
    • Real radio visibility depending on the power of actual radio units and terrain

[*]Iteration 5

• Comm jamming effect with additional zones for EW
    •  

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

^^^  I can only imagine the bug reports and general outcry from the MP community if comms jamming becomes a thing. 🤣

"We want realism!!!", wait, not that much realism.

It would be nice to have a loitering AI EC-130 just ruining everyone's day though...

• Like 3

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

24 minutes ago, Lace said:

^^^  I can only imagine the bug reports and general outcry from the MP community if comms jamming becomes a thing. 🤣

"We want realism!!!", wait, not that much realism.

It would be nice to have a loitering AI EC-130 just ruining everyone's day though...

Yeah, just guessing that radio jamming will be the most disabled feature of MP servers of all time.

edit: or it will create a new game mode: "Hunt the jammer"

Edited by Tom Kazansky
  • Like 3

• ED Team
5 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

The newsletter states:

"New Voice Chat features and immersive radio effects "

After that update with all-new radio features is there still something missing to replace good "old" SRS?

SRS is great, but some people do not want to mess with external apps. They would rather use a ready to go voice chat in game.

thanks

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

SRS is great, but some people do not want to mess with external apps. They would rather use a ready to go voice chat in game.

thanks

that's what I meant. it would be great if the new voice chat united all the players that used SRS and the other ones on MP servers. My question was aimed at the features comming with v2.9, and whether those will already be sufficent to replace SRS, since we don't know yet.

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

im for this..!!

̶h̶y̶p̶e̶r̶l̶o̶b̶b̶y̶  -> in game server browser

̶s̶i̶m̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶r̶a̶d̶i̶o̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶a̶l̶o̶n̶e̶  -> in game VoIP

any idea if 2.9 will run better on amd 7800x3d or intel 13700k/14700k?

it will influence new PC decision! but i know i should wait for 2.9 and watch benchmarks.

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

18 hours ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Can't we just have Ground Pounder's Viper campaign now? ED has been sitting on it for what, a month now? It'll be at least another two weeks until the next patch. I'm bored to tears with DCS at the moment, I really would appreciate some new SP content to hold me over to 2.9.

Move your butt finally (in)to a MP group, you stubborn German. 😜

• Like 1

17 hours ago, draconus said:

What are you talking about?

With or without DLSS the MP stays exactly the same - you can play with the same people regardless of their vcard.

Consider it like a new module you didn't buy - it'll be easier to move over. You still have the option to buy nv card so it's not like you are cut away from the tech, and for sure, not from the game.

All this reactions to some future feature we don't really know how it will fare and yet with a notion from ED that FSR implementation is also considered?

That's the problem with all the people not knowing exactly what DLXX is doing, how it works. Yes, you can play like you did before, but (and that's a huge "but"), DLSS is and will add or delete pixels in a way the AI "thinks" that is the right way, even so the game engine wants to do the opposite. A major difficulty with DLSS is, it's adding or deleting "false or true" pixels. There are thousands of pictures with comparisons out there showing that issue. Power cables, you can't really see in the distance without DLSS, become big dark lines with DLSS. And that can and will become a big Problem with the spotting.

If you start "the other sim" with DLSS you can see what we will get in DCS. With DLSS, spotting will be much easier or more difficult. It's a question of how the AI will decide, not ED.

With DLSS there is a ON or a OFF, nothing in between and ED can do nothing to nitpick things they think those must act the other way around.

If this starts in MP, and guys without DLSS will get a disadvantage because of DLSS/DLAA, that will give ED a big roar from the com.

And you need at least an RTX 2XXX GPU to use DLSS up to 2.x. If you want to use DLSS 3.x you require a 4xxx series GPU.

So all the math people have done here ("only" a few would be left behind), is not correct, if we talk about who would have the "fun" with DLXX.

The DCS-Com isn't big enough to lose people because of a technic which is only for some of >>us<<.

Please, try to understand things you talk about. Some of you don't understand the issues coming up with DLXX.

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11 Pro, HD: 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD

HOTAS Throttle: TM Warthog Throttle with TM F16 Grip, Orion2 Throttle with F15EX II Grip with Finger Lifts

HOTAS Sticks: TM AVA Base with TM F16 Stick, FSSB R3 Base with TM F16 Stick

Rudder: WinWing Orion Metal

23 hours ago, Zebra1-1 said:

Like others have said, Nvidia has At Least 75% market share in DCS. Outside of DCS, Nvidia is capturing 90% of GPU sales. Going off that alone, it makes perfect sense to start with DLSS.

Not to mention that DLSS is much better than FSR. At least up until FSR 3.0, which just came out yestsrday.
ED have said they will add FSR later, which is honestly better for AMD users since it will hopefully be 3.0.
Who knows, maybe even XeSS will be added at some point. The next gen Intel cards are looking pretty good based on current rumors.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Where are your data from? But anyway.

How many of those people with a "green card" (no pun intended) have a series 2xxx or greater one GPU? Only those people will get the benefit of DLxx.

To say DLSS is generally much better than FSR/2, is a lie not correct.  It depends, and it's for sure very subjective. If you don't like smearing, but a more sharpened picture, DLSS should not be your first pick. If you like more FPS and you have no problems with loosing sharpness and clarity in the distance, DLSS is the way you should go.

You are a VR gamer, DLSS is an absolute No-Go for you. You should use FSR instead.

Every upscaler has its playing field, with good and bad things. If you really believe DLSS is The Holy Grail, you are wrong. DLxx can give you more FPS, but like every gift, you have to pay for it, the one way or the other.

FSR 2 would have been for all gamers, no special brand or series needed. Every one of >>us<< could use it.

And if I am thinking about how long it last every time ED is talking about something "new" is coming after something else was delivered, I would bet we will get FSR 2 or 3, if, at the end of 2024. And that would be a really fast "two weeks" delivery. And it won't fix anything that is coming (bad or good (better/worst spotting)) with DLXX.

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11 Pro, HD: 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD

HOTAS Throttle: TM Warthog Throttle with TM F16 Grip, Orion2 Throttle with F15EX II Grip with Finger Lifts

HOTAS Sticks: TM AVA Base with TM F16 Stick, FSSB R3 Base with TM F16 Stick

Rudder: WinWing Orion Metal

Maybe wait and actually see for yourself how DLSS is implemented in DCS and what the pros and cons are, instead of working yourself up prematurely and unnecessarily?

And, just btw, you don’t need to use it, you know. DLSS is an optional feature.

• Like 5

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Supposedly, DLSS works with VR just fine. I don't have an RTX series card yet, but I'm looking to get one in a month or two. I'll probably wait with pulling the trigger on this until 2.9 is out, but either way, I wouldn't expect that there are very many DCS players still on GTX. Now, if you have an AMD GPU, you're out of luck, but isn't that usually the case?

5 hours ago, Nedum said:

And you need at least an RTX 2XXX GPU to use DLSS up to 2.x. If you want to use DLSS 3.x you require a 4xxx series GPU.

This is not true. Only the frame generation feature is locked to RTX 4xxx series. The feature table is the following:

image.png

4 hours ago, Nedum said:

You are a VR gamer, DLSS is an absolute No-Go for you. You should use FSR instead.

I have DLSS experience in VR only with MSFS. It's the best AA solution there right now.

We should wait and see ED's implementation in DCS. I hope they nailed it.

• Like 3
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

18 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

Yeah, just guessing that radio jamming will be the most disabled feature of MP servers of all time.

But it will be fantastic for co-op play. A very simple mechanic that can add a lot of complexity into any mission!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 7:34 PM, St4rgun said:

So DLAA will be a HUGE blast, because you can get rid of the performance hungry MSAA implementation while having a proper temporal AA which is finally able to smooth all edges and get rid of shimmering once for all. Great news!

Re VR, If this is true I will be over the moon! Fingers crossed. And thanks in advance ED.

• Like 1

• ED Team

I have moved the steam 403 discussion to the steam forum, please keep this thread for the newsletter. 

thank you  

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 9/30/2023 at 3:09 PM, Stratos said:

Troop transport means ground vehicles or visible infantry on Huey, Hip and Hind?

I don't think so, it will be like the Huey and others, loading and unloading capability, nothing more. We haven't seen any development images of a helicopter with troops inside or animations of entry or exit in helicopters or vehicles.

• Like 1

• ED Team

No soldiers will be seen inside the vehicles currently, this is purely the mechanic for loading troops in vehicles and unloading at destination. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

No soldiers will be seen inside the vehicles currently, this is purely the mechanic for loading troops in vehicles and unloading at destination. 

But it will include choppers?(and I assume C130 later on)And not just ground units? 

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

But it will include choppers?(and I assume C130 later on)And not just ground units? 

aircraft with the capability will be able to load and unload troops, also para troops are coming. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, stonewall197922 said:

Is it possible to use that "mechanic" to make troops use buildings like fortifications?

No, this would be a different task, not planned at this time. 

thank you

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Ok, after all this years is sad to see this still pending.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!