Intel hybrid CPU Getting stutter? Please try this in multithreading DCS

Windows 10

i7 12th gen

64GB DDR5

SSD

varjo aero @ 45fps fixed using foveated rendering

I haven't done any quantitative comparison, but it feels about the same at least, so doesn't ruin anything.  I felt like the game was running fine in singleplayer.  In multiplayer I would get massive lag spikes opening f10 map. still get those, but that's grayflag, which has a lot of stuff running in the background.

tl;dr - doesn't ruin anything

its a solid point from the pov of expected behaviour, I wouldn't expect the 10 task scheduler to understand the difference between e-core and p-core for the reason that skate suggests either... but 11 should definitely recognise the difference between e/p cores and its not...   stupid question @BIGNEWYis the dev who is compiling this on Windows 11? 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

7 hours ago, YoYo said:

2/ during the game (already in the 3D environment) it was always ok (100% usability, no issues),
3/ 3x I had significant FPS drops (by 2/3 or 1/2 even) at the menu level, interestingly enough, in the game itself (3D) everything was fine, but when I opened the map (F10) or returned to the menu, there were significant FPS drops and noticeable stutter but at a much lower level than it used to be (now you could use the menu, but before you couldn't)

13900K, Windows 10.

Still the same - during game ok, menu + F10 map stutter (but less than before mt.lua). I added my log too. HT=on, Win10.

dcs.log

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

i apologize for my lack of knowledge but i have been having this issue and i was able to fix it the other day. i went into my bios and disabled my xmp for my RAM and deleted the latest geforce update and then re downloaded it and did a clean install. did a stress test on my RAM  and it was all working well but from monitoring my task manager it looked like either a gpuupdate or windows update caused it and until whatever caused it is fixed this was the only solution that worked. hope this helps 

No improvement whatsoever. Still get a literal ECG with irregular spikes. Windows 10. Cores unparked.

When flying the viper, the irregularities seem of a somewhat low amplitude, that is until is switch A-G mode. Then it goes crazy, more so when I have TGP on one side and MAV display on the other. Even flying over low density areas I'm still affected.

i9-9900K GeForce RTX2080Ti 3.6Ghz stock boost to 5.0GHz, 64Gb RAM Kingston DDR4, DCS on SSD Kingston SA10008480G, LG monitor 144Hz 34" curved, TrackIR 5

TM Warthog HOTAS, TM TPR Pendular Rudder

4 hours ago, YoYo said:

By the way, did someone here do a free update from Windows 10 to 11 without installing a new system from scratch? Was it safe? Then DCS and other programs worked ok again?

I did the day that windows 11 was released and never had one compatibility issue with any software on my pc. From dcs to cad programs, photoshop, fusion 360, bend tech software to Vectric Aspire 

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

5 hours ago, YoYo said:

By the way, did someone here do a free update from Windows 10 to 11 without installing a new system from scratch? Was it safe? Then DCS and other programs worked ok again?

I did both: I first updated W10 to W11. It went without a hitch and I even gained some performance in DCS.

A few weeks ago, I had to format my computer, so I went for a fresh W11 installation. I did not notice any difference. So yes, the W10 -> W11 update works very well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

5 hours ago, YoYo said:

actually when you upgrade, contrary to popular opinion on the internet, there are less thing for you to do if you are a gamer, for example, core isolation is off by default on an upgrade, but on by default on a clean install

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

31 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

actually when you upgrade, contrary to popular opinion on the internet, there are less thing for you to do if you are a gamer, for example, core isolation is off by default on an upgrade, but on by default on a clean install

Correct. 
But a thorough sweep through all settings and options and some due diligence research is mandatory with every new windows (or even major updates) I‘d say. 
But to Microsofts credit. Other than in the past, updating a system just works. Even switching the MoBo and CPU brand without fresh install of windows can’t really throw it off the rails nowadays. Doing a fresh install from scratch is more like an OCD thing.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Isn't the Windows 10 to Windows 11 Free Upgrade path over?
No I don't think so. I've been getting bugged from windows update to upgrade to windows 11 for over a month now.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

8 hours ago, YoYo said:

I did the free upgrade on my 9700K/3090 rig.  Had no issues.  Ran DCS, the other WWII sim, and the Civ sim, no issues.  About 3 months ago, I built a new sim rig, (13900K/4090), and went straight to Win 11.  I knew about Win 11 being able to manage the P/E cores, so it was no question in my mind to go with it.

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 11/14/2023 at 2:15 PM, Bouwplan said:

I did try to unpark cores in windows 10 but for newer Intel this does not work as windows 10 can't handle the P/E core stuff and even by trying to force the cores to unpark, it simply will not.

Sorry, but that's not true at all. I'm on Win10 using a Intel i7 12700 CPU and I can very well force Windows to either unpark all my cores or only the P or only the E cores by setting the respective options in the Windows energy settings. Works just fine and doesn't require any external tools.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

9 hours ago, javelina1 said:

I did the free upgrade on my 9700K/3090 rig.  Had no issues.  Ran DCS, the other WWII sim, and the Civ sim, no issues.  About 3 months ago, I built a new sim rig, (13900K/4090), and went straight to Win 11.  I knew about Win 11 being able to manage the P/E cores, so it was no question in my mind to go with it.

I'm starting to convince myself ;). I've been avoiding 11 like the plague, but I guess there's no way around it. It's good to know that the free update does not cause problems with maintaining older files and programs, which is what I'm afraid of. I don't want to build a new system right now.

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

8 minutes ago, YoYo said:

I'm starting to convince myself ;). I've been avoiding 11 like the plague, but I guess there's no way around it. It's good to know that the free update does not cause problems with maintaining older files and programs, which is what I'm afraid of. I don't want to build a new system right now.

Do have a proper Backup-system in place? Then there is really no big risk. And when you create a restore point before the update, you can even roll it back easily. I would just advise to make a backup/copy of important private files on a non-system drive. Better save than sorry!

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

99% of what I see is when people hurt themselves is when they think they are being clever or trying a "tool" to be clever for them... W11 is pretty good at managing most things you may or may not like the ui, some of it I hate (right click for example) that is a registry change a way (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-old-right-click-context-menu-in-windows-11/a62e797c-eaf3-411b-aeec-e460e6e5a82a) but that is off topic...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

Hi all, 

please stay on topic here, we want to get feedback on the use of the mt.lua in the first thread. 

thank you 

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

8 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

please stay on topic here, we want to get feedback on the use of the mt.lua in the first thread. 

thank you 

Hey, you are right. Sorry. I think the derailment started because there is a strong assumption that the Windows-Version could play a role in the experienced outcome.

• Like 1

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Hey, you are right. Sorry. I think the derailment started because there is a strong assumption that the Windows-Version could play a role in the experienced outcome.

No problem and thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 11/14/2023 at 9:45 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

we have been looking into the stutter issue some users are seeing, as you may be aware unparking CPU cores has helped many but this is not a ideal solution for end users. 

Please try the lua file below and give us some feedback. 

mt.lua 58 B · 343 downloads

place in saved games\DCS\Config folder

this should unbind the render thread from the highest performing core. 

Based on the feedback we get we could make this default for some CPU's 

thank you

Applying the mt.lua had no improvement to stuttering and hitching I've been having since at least the last OB patch. When panning the view, the game will consistently pause for 2-10 seconds the view is pivoted more than about 5 degrees. Hitching also noticeable when observing terrain passing by.

I'm running an intel i5-7600 CPU (3.50ghz currently OC'd at 3.90ghz) - four cores, no virtual cores.

Of note, hitching is not present in single core mode. I have also had some success progressively removing DCS' affinity for certain cores and then re-adding them, but it doesn't permanently solve the issue during a session.

Edited by Floydii
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Floydii said:

Applying the mt.lua had no improvement to stuttering and hitching I've been having since at least the last OB patch. When panning the view, the game will consistently pause for 2-10 seconds the view is pivoted more than about 5 degrees. Hitching also noticeable when observing terrain passing by.

I'm running an intel i5-7600 CPU (3.50ghz currently OC'd at 3.90ghz)

Of note, hitching is not present in single core mode.

More or less the same here. Still suffering  stuttering (i don't know what hitching is, so I can't tell) ). I would say that with the MT.LUA, the stuttering is showing less FPS drop, but maybe more frequently, and it mostly happens when transitioning from looking the cockpit pannels to looking to the outside world and panning around.

My PC is a really low performance one, but before the last patch I could fly with very little to no stutter.

CPU: i5-7400  @3000Ghz

GPU Nvidia3060 12GB Vram

RAM 16GB, with anotehr 16 Gb of pagefile

And I could really enjoy flying, 60 fps (V. Sync on), provided not very demanding mission.

Saludos.

Saca111

• Thanks 1