DCS: Afghanistan FAQ

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,
Other than already announced units and infantry improvements I have no other news to share. I have no ETA, the new infantry are in progress but not ready yet.

Thank you 

I really hope ED can put alot of focus on new infantry units and ground unit AI behaviour/animations.

It has been forever since you teased us with pathfinding and new animations (actually August 2022!!!)

https://m.facebook.com/eagle.dynamics/posts/we-are-pleased-to-inform-you-that-work-is-progressing-on-a-range-of-infantry-ani/10166884531335341/

I have most of the modules and maps, but are hesitant to buy more, untill we get above fixed.

With the Apache the poor ground unit behavior is very apparent (ref. the sliding RPG units!)

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Like 3

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

• ED Team
25 minutes ago, MIghtymoo said:

I really hope ED can put alot of focus on new infantry units and ground unit AI behaviour/animations.

It has been forever since you teased us with pathfinding and new animations (actually August 2022!!!)

https://m.facebook.com/eagle.dynamics/posts/we-are-pleased-to-inform-you-that-work-is-progressing-on-a-range-of-infantry-ani/10166884531335341/

I have most of the modules and maps, but are hesitant to buy more, untill we get above fixed.

With the Apache the poor ground unit behavior is very apparent (ref. the sliding RPG units!)

No problem and I understand if you want to hold off. 

But please keep the topic here for DCS: Afghanistan. 

thank you 

30 minutes ago, Dr05vc said:

Hi! (^o^)/

I have a question regarding the free hard disk space nedeed provided by the store pages for both the Full Afghanistan Map and the Southwest Afghanistan Map. As they both recommend 120+ GB, I wonder if just the Southwest Afghanistan requires that much and, as the other parts release, they will be added upon the 120+ GB on the Full Afghanistan or if the 120+ GB is an estimate to the full sized map.

I know that you guys might not have an exact number for how big it will be but would still appreciate if you could clarify that. 

I look foward for this and other future products,
and keep up the good work! \(^o^)

Hi, 

even if you only buy one region you get access to the whole terrain but in lower detail. Afghanistan is a huge terrain which is why we have suggested the size on disk. 

thank you 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It's already been asked, but is there any idea about the size of the map? Are we looking at 100GB+?

My 1TB drive might not make it to 2025 at this rate.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, Roy35150 said:

Will the map be on steam?

It will be on steam for early access, we are also currently discussing pre-order with steam but I do not have any news to share yet. Steam have strict rules about pre-orders. 

thank you 

• Like 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Pre-ordered the Afghanistan map, eager for the release.

Keep up ED and thank you for all the work done!

I started with "ACE" in a Timex 2068, all i can say is that we come a long way in the flight sim world.

regards,

F.

Edited by fagulha
Typo
  • Like 3

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• ED Team
28 minutes ago, fagulha said:

Pre-ordered the Afghanistan map, eager for the release.

Keep up ED and thank you for all the work done!

I started with "ACE" in a Timex 2068, all i can say is that we come a long way for the flight sim world.

regards,

F.

Thank you we appreciate it, yes us older folk have been lucky to see flight sims develop and improve a lot over time. 

• Like 8

Is there going to be any option for those who like the whole map in LOW fidelity? Within my trial on Syria -for example- as I have a 10 year PC , I had some serious performance issues.
And I don't want to buy a map I would never use in MP.

I mean ok let's buy the first part of the map in preorder and early access. But in x years time I don't want that part to be in HIGH and the rest 2 parts in LOW, I want all to be in LOW. Would that be possible? (i.e. in settings to choose the lowest setting on the map part you own?)

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

No problem and I understand if you want to hold off. 

But please keep the topic here for DCS: Afghanistan. 

thank you 

@BIGNEWY I respectfully think is on topic, as the Afghanistan map opens up for the asymmetric warfare experienced by both USSR and USA. It is critical we actually have decent insurgent forces and realistic AI ground infantry behavior to really enjoy this map.

I love EDs work, so please do take this as positive and constructive  feedback.

• Like 9

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

13 minutes ago, MIghtymoo said:

It is critical we actually have decent insurgent forces and realistic AI ground infantry behavior to really enjoy this map.

Indeed.  These guys weren't fighting buttoned up in IFVs and MBTs.  We need to see them moving.

• Like 4

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

1 hour ago, MIghtymoo said:

@BIGNEWY I respectfully think is on topic, as the Afghanistan map opens up for the asymmetric warfare experienced by both USSR and USA. It is critical we actually have decent insurgent forces and realistic AI ground infantry behavior to really enjoy this map.

ED has working on the core with the new infantry, we need wait for news.

1 hour ago, Lace said:

Indeed.  These guys weren't fighting buttoned up in IFVs and MBTs.  We need to see them moving.

Actualy we have Technicals and surely more will coming.

1 hour ago, MIghtymoo said:

@BIGNEWY I respectfully think is on topic, as the Afghanistan map opens up for the asymmetric warfare experienced by both USSR and USA. It is critical we actually have decent insurgent forces and realistic AI ground infantry behaviour to really enjoy this map.

For air units to be used in Afghanistan, they need to be spawned from their respective airfields in the satellite states of the USSR.
At this stage that capability does not exist.
The only airport that does not belong in Afghanistan but has an icon on the map provided, is Khorog in Tajikistan.
Unfortunately this did not play a role for the USSR as it is barely an airport. 
Attached photos for reference.

1101314.jpg

Khorog_80s.JPG

Khorog.JPG

• Like 7

Авиабаза 1521, Мары - Центр боевого применения | Airbase 1521, Mary - Combat Operations Center

Авиабаза_1521_Мары_logo_extra_sm.png

19 часов назад, Ronin_Gaijin сказал:

Thank you for your reply.

Let me explain why this is a decision that can be improved upon.
Apart from the fact that Mary, Turkmenistan was the home of Авиабаза 1521, Мары - Центр боевого применения | Airbase 1521, Mary - Combat Operations Center or else known as Soviet Top Gun, this is the perfect home for the full fidelity MiG-23 and the MiG-29.

Additionally, together with the Kokaydy airport in Termez, Uzbekistan, they played a very important role for the Soviet Union's operations in Afghanistan from 1979 to 1989 for various aircraft that are available already or are coming soon to DCS World.
MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-29, Su-17/22, Su-25, Mi-24, Mi-8.
Since you mention "Soviet operations of the 1980s place Afghanistan as one of the most important combat theatres of the past half century." in your product description, it is only reasonable that we have the airports available to historically re-enact those operations and create scenarios that will bring the community together.
If you need more information, please do not hesitate to pm me.

Agree 100%

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

What's this, a well written and clear announcement that answers all questions?!

As usual, I'll not pick this up until the ground AI warfare is improved, but it is great to see all info up front.

I also personally like the pricing breakdown. It's a great way to lower the entry requirements for newer players or those with less funds to spend.

Additionally, the map is over 3 times the size of Syria for essentially the same price. That's hardly worth complaining about as some are by saying ED are "selling 1 map as 4".

Edited by ColinM9991
  • Like 4

I don't underestand the negative feedback about the split, I think it's great to give poeple a choice. Southwest is already pretty massive map and for $24 it's great deal. Plus the colors look far better than Syria, which just like Normandy has a bit of cartoonish look. This will be great for the Apache / helicopters in general

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ronin_Gaijin said:

For air units to be used in Afghanistan, they need to be spawned from their respective airfields in the satellite states of the USSR.
At this stage that capability does not exist.
The only airport that does not belong in Afghanistan but has an icon on the map provided, is Khorog in Tajikistan.
Unfortunately this did not play a role for the USSR as it is barely an airport. 
Attached photos for reference.

1101314.jpg

Khorog_80s.JPG

Khorog.JPG

Great, now I want a flyable Yak-40 or An-26 even more. Good job! 😁

I've always loved that photo of those two Yak-40s at Khorog - gravel airstrip with that tall-a$$ mountain inthe backdrop. I think they now do have a paved runway, though, which takes a bit of the romanticism away from the place.

If anything, we need more airfields in all of the neighbouring countries. Even if they're just coming much later. Kinda like the recent additions to the Syria map.

• Like 2

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

4 minutes ago, peeter said:

Screenshot_20240329-084624.png?ex=66196e

I'm afraid you forgot the OH58D Kiowa who serve extensivly there !

Too bad it does not appear in the trailer...

Looks to me they just listed their own modules, which is fair enough. Harrier, Tomcat, F-15E, etc all saw action there. I wouldn't interpret too much into it.

• Like 2

Modules: all, except for the Dora

My missions: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/user-is-Don rudi/apply/

Primary system: i7-13700k, RTX 4080, 32 GB, Win 11, Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha with 5cm extension, Virpil CM2 throttle, Virpil Ace Interceptor pedals, Virpil Rotor TCS base + Blackshark grip, Winwing Triple MFD and ICP, 34" UWHQD screen
Acer Nitro i7-10700, RTX 3060, 64 GB, Virpiel Rotor TCS base + Blackhawk grip, Virpiel Ace Torq pedals, 34" UWHQD screen

6 hours ago, Grimes said:

(IFF store is setup to buy the full map at same cost with individual purchases) If you decide that you like the map you can purchase the whole thing at the same total cost as buying the full map at release price. You can buy it at your own pace!

So, I wasn't getting this from the FAQ, and just wanted to get clarification. My understanding from the FAQ was that if I buy one of the sections after launch, I will then be locked into the $90 full price to buy the remaining 2 sections ($29.99 + $29.99 + $29.99).

Is the store going to discount the sections purchased on the full version (total $70)? I think the split is a great idea, if that's how it's going to work. Easier to swallow an initial smaller price and not be punished if you can't afford the full price at one go.

Sorry for the confusion.

Great for what if scenarios, it's 1979 and Breznev drooled his way into Afghanistan while the Ayatollah dropped dead of a heart attack in France, USAF Phantoms suddenly deploy to friendly Shah land.

On 3/28/2024 at 12:41 PM, SlipHavoc said:

Amazing how people can be so confused by something so simple...  If you want the whole map, buy the whole map.  If you only care about one part of Afghanistan, just buy that part.  If you just buy one part, you can still fly missions elsewhere, but the map will be in lower detail.  If you don't want them to be in lower detail, buy the whole map.  It used to be that you could only buy the whole map, and now you can still buy the whole map, but now since Afghanistan is huge and some people only care about some smaller part of it, they have the option to buy that smaller part, and yet are not completely locked out of playing on other parts.  This isn't exactly rocket science here.

Well said.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hoggles said:

So, I wasn't getting this from the FAQ, and just wanted to get clarification. My understanding from the FAQ was that if I buy one of the sections after launch, I will then be locked into the $90 full price to buy the remaining 2 sections ($29.99 + $29.99 + $29.99).

Is the store going to discount the sections purchased on the full version (total $70)? I think the split is a great idea, if that's how it's going to work. Easier to swallow an initial smaller price and not be punished if you can't afford the full price at one go.

Sorry for the confusion.

Not sure exactly where it was said, but was explicitly said by ED in a post that if you DON'T buy the full map straight out there WILL NOT be discounts for buying all or multiple parts individually.  So you either go for the full thing (cheapest option), or you pay more by buying each section individually.

• Like 1

also i think i heard some commentary that not everyone has the PC hardware to run at high detail.

so if there more DCS with less powerful PC's, probably have a hard time getting full afgan, then just getting one part of the package makes sense.

i mean if one is crying about 23$ already, then its its even more obvious that not only cant get the full map and probably dont have the hardware to run it even if they have the full map... or storage space? 

at the end of the day, everyone has their hardware and finance situation. options are not bad.. as gentlemen mentioned above, maybe they care for a part of the pie.

and if the preorder is so bad, just dont jump in to it. it is your money! 

me, i have jumped into the full map, not complaining about early access discount! 

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179