DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the general idea. But it was clearly stated that EDGE would improve performance. Considering how ultra-bad the performance currently is i wouldnt be suprised if it gets improved.

However, if it gets worse i cannot play anymore, lol. Cause then id be creeping around at about 5 fps. :p

roger that

hey, think about it - even if they maintain the same framerates, but ADD all that detail.. i would count that as a net "win"

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's like cars. A new faster car needs more gasoline, right? It has to, well it goes faster, so more power, thus more gas? How come, all modern cars have more horsepower and yet consume less gas? - Optimization and new technology! Simple example, but I guess we will see the same or slightly better fps, with vastly better eye candy. :dunno:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It's like cars. A new faster car needs more gasoline, right? It has to, well it goes faster, so more power, thus more gas? How come, all modern cars have more horsepower and yet consume less gas? - Optimization and new technology! Simple example, but I guess we will see the same or slightly better fps, with vastly better eye candy. :dunno:

And these new cars' engines requires general repair after 100 000 km or records 60 000 km, where old ones run for 500 000 without any fix :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

but I guess we will see the same or slightly better fps, with vastly better eye candy. :dunno:

Then you can just turn that off and get better FPS. What will EDGE on low settings look like vs the current on high?

One thing pointed at if I remember has been object count. DCS 2.0 on low settings may give us more dense cities at distance than the current engine does on high.

And these new cars' engines requires general repair after 100 000 km or records 60 000 km, where old ones run for 500 000 without any fix :)

I think it's the opposite.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I think it's the opposite.

No he's absolutely right about that. Caused by the amount of hp by Liter of cylinder displacement.The industry is at a point where they squeeze more than 100hp out of 2 cylinder 800ccm engines. The components in such an engien suffer from high wear and have lots of thermic stress, Ford tried to circumvent the problem by using a extra rich mixture in íts 1.2 140hp three cylinder. The extra fuel is neededto cool the cylinders just like WEP in a WW2 aircraft. The lifetime of a 2014 engine is indeed steps behind one from the 90's. No manufacturer is calculating a lifetime of more than 200.000km for gear and engine today....they need to sell more cars and a long lifecycle is bad for business.
Edited by Beagle One

No doubt about that, but how can you compare CAR engine and DCS engine? :doh: Technically, game engine is not a real engine, it is more like a fuel pump, GPU+CPU can be called an "engine"...

EDGE has no moving parts, so wear factor is extremely low :D

Abstract thinking, actually! Though I was solely comparing performance, not the inner workings! :D

As a comparative for inventive development...

Since PC lifecycles, especially in gaming rigs, rarely exceed 2-3 year, before you upgrade hardware, I wouldn't be too concerned with lifetime comparisons either...

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Progress==progress! The comparison was about invention and progress , performance wise! Not about mechanics :doh:

Progress and invention usually leads to better efficiency and performance, no matter the field of expertise. :D

Shagrat

ED just posted this on Facebook:

10257005_10154689683400341_2971940017679939330_n.jpg?oh=d3d7328a1b7a0f487427e722a7028afd&oe=548CB2FB&__gda__=1422561538_306c026fa5ab0cf3825fa6f417c18e55

An image often speaks a thousand words. This image shows three scenes using the exact same mission and settings. The difference being one set of images is taken using version 1.2.10 and the other a beta, work in progress version of DCS World 2 (not released yet). This is taken at 50,000 feet in the southern portion of the Black Sea map around sunset. We believe it shows off the dramatic improvements in lighting, shadows, visibility and color coming with the new graphics engine. The only difference is the graphics engine, all the art and geometry are the same.

Before you ask... we plan to release DCS World 2 later this year.

Wow.