Naval Operations Wish List

Wags

umm, no, they all carried "...a complement of Armored Box Launchers and "shock hardened" Mk. 141 quad cell launchers. The former was used by the battleships to carry and fire the BGM-109 Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles (TLAMs) for use against enemy targets on land,..."

also, Iowa was decommissioned in 1990, the Wisconsin and New Jersey were decommissioned in 1991, Missouri was decommissioned in 1992. all were sticken from the US naval register in 2006.

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to Bump this thread alive again. Now that Combined Arms is gaining use within DCS World I think many would really appreciate the LVTP-7 being able to be placed in the water...swim ashore at an appropriate speed... and drive on from there... or go "feet wet" from the shoreline to swim back out to an amphibious ship. If there's not time to do several amphib ships... just do an LHA... that will give you a flight deck for helicopters and a well deck for AAVs (LVTP-7s) and the LCACs ! Even if the Amphib ship have to come later... make the LVTP-7's able to start in the water and mission builders can "simulate" that they have already splashed and are swimming ashore with their troops on board.

Thanks !

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4 GHz, 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Pro -64 Bit

• 2 months later...

Forget the AI, Drive the Ships!

Hello Matt, and the Rest of the E.D. team. I would love to see you guys bring models like DeltaSim's Burke DDG or their upcoming Wasp Class into the sim as a complete module like any other DCS Aircraft. In terms of multi-player, with share-able equipment, It would be great if the "Carriers" supported multiple positions like: air boss, deck boss, LSO, and of course the ship pilot/Captain.

As far as weapons go, I want all S2A assets user selectable from the CIC screen. If running an offensive ship like a Cruiser or Destroyer, then of course we would need a S2S weapons page, that gave us targeting options for both land targets, and also maritime targets of opportunity.

As combined arms has shown, we don't need absolute authenticity for a new feature to be an effective tactics training system. Get it close, make it plausible, make it look good. If adding the puzzle piece brings a new realistic facet to the combat simulator, it is relevant.

As far as operations go, most ship need to refuel at sea. A tanker then needs to be created, with some kind of formation lock feature. As the formation feature is triggered, an animation sequence with the cables, hoses, and cargo transfer would be AMAZING! Speaking of cargo transfer, Ship to Shore offloads from a Wasp, or equivalent Foreign Amphibious landing ship, could make for some exciting game play. Just some thoughts for an old thread, -Woog

I hope not given this is a combat flight sim.

DCS stands for “Digital Combat Simulator”. DCS is a world simulation engine permitting the user to operate or direct a growing number of combat and civilian aircraft, ground vehicles and ships, from different historical eras, in different geographical locations and at different levels of fidelity.

:music_whistling:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

After the aircraft AI is capable of balanced dogfighting, as in "average" AI actually not wiping out "high"or better AI in similar planes... Ground units that have a believable engagement behavior unlike the all seeing eyes? AI units including planes with no "Hitpoints" model, so we can actually expect a Mustang with 20% "Hitpoints" to disengage or die, rather then continue fighting with headsize holes in fuselage and wings???

Well, after all that is settled and working I would like to see something like "Dangerous Waters" (cooperation with Sonalysts maybe?)

Or for the WW II era Destroyer command and convoy actions...

Commanding naval assets in a CA style is a given, I guess. A modern warship has a large number of weapons at its disposal so we should be able to identify and priorize targets at least.

But in all honesty, if resources have to be removed from optimizing the current AI and Environment, I won't be able to enjoy Naval Ops, at all... if these are different teams or free guys that can't help with other stuff, okay.

But on my personal priority list there is a lot AI and environment related problems that I would like to see working, before venturing into new areas...

Don't get me wrong. Still think DCS World is the best Combat Flight SIM available.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 3 weeks later...

Matt started this so it's obviously more than just a pipe dream, it's in the pipe!

Is it possible for ED to answer how did Combine Arms turn out in their opinion, considering the had air combat fairly nailed in FC standard and A-10c is probably finally patched??

I never bought CA because I read it's bad and pretty standalone, I am sure that wasn't the idea when it was dreamed up and released. So if a land module hasn't really worked just yet, what is it that ED learned and are planning to fix so its integrated well in the series. I see this should be sorted so a naval module idea cab be framed. Would you do a standalone study sim or would it need to be integrated so you can do multiplayer?

Plus, how "secret" is naval tech, if DCS is going to sim it, can it be done or can we accept a lomac level with a few well modelled systems? ️I definitely could handle an updated sonalasits sub/ship sim but not sure if that is the DCS philosophy.

And can ED answer if undersea is modelled in EDGE?

But in any case, if it were possible, i would love any!! Go for Marines LHD.

-After the aircraft AI is capable of balanced dogfighting, as in "average" AI actually not wiping out "high"or better AI in similar planes...

-Ground units that have a believable engagement behavior unlike the all seeing eyes?

-Mustang with 20% "Hitpoints" disengage

-Commanding naval assets in a CA style is a given, I guess. A modern warship has a large number of weapons at its disposal so we should be able to identify and priorize targets at least.

-if resources have to be removed from optimizing the current AI and Environment, I won't be able to enjoy Naval Ops, at all...

-a lot AI and environment related problems that I would like to see working, before venturing into new areas... Just my 2 cents.

Shagrat, many of these things are approachable problems. There is a solution to the man month problem. Let the devs work on architecture and core experience and let modders get cracking on broadening gameplay and pleasing people on the edges of the sim experience.

Start supporting scripting threads and mod threads by people who are:

• Reporting and trying to get bugs fixed.
  • Highlighting API problems and limitations in the Scripting Env.
  • Trying to get information on how systems work

Right now I am looking into how sensors, emissions, detection, targeting, and damage are exposed in the Scripting Env for ALL units NOT just player units. I want to start making posts shortly about this but I expect that some people will see it as a waste of time and will actually post in my thread - this is waste of time. I will ignore those people because tt doesn't have to be a waste of time at all. Thats my 2c.

I never bought CA because I read it's bad and pretty standalone

Mr_Burns, CA has a lot of potential. Modders and scripters can do a lot if the LUA API is deepened and made consistant. I have some thought on this and I'm hoping people who can't write code can at least support efforts by people who DO want to write code.

I think we might need a scripting mafia.

Scripters and mod makers can't and won't give you everything you want but maybe they can fill some gaps for the next four years until DCS 3.0

I certainly hope that NTTR will support "Field Carrier Landing Practice (FCLP)" -- a dummy deck on dry land. Do we know anything about that?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I certainly hope that NTTR will support "Field Carrier Landing Practice (FCLP)" -- a dummy deck on dry land. Do we know anything about that?

Unless they are modelling something that isn't really there, I doubt it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Make a deck and make it a land object.... no?

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Possibility of raising and lowering 1 or 2 elevators to park in the hanger.

That would involve the use of the tractors...

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Hopefully EDGE will have added Naval forces from multiple nations (UK, France, Germany, India, China, Brazil, etc.) and added some new ships (like the Iowa Class Battleship, Additional Carriers, WWII Ships, Etc.).

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

Oh boy... a subject near and dear to my flight simming heart...

I am sure a lot of things I would list have been mentioned, but some other options I would love to see aside from the obvious (F-14, S-3, F/A 18 to fly from the boat):

Boats moving in formations. As it is now I have to hand place them.

Someone before me said Air Boss and Mini boss view... I SECOND that!!

Better AI landing abilities... In more than one video I have uploaded the AI almost killed me or themselves thinking they can land in formation with me after being told to RTB... Not to mention sometimes they just cannot make that turn to final in time and end up ejecting when they run out of gas.

LCAC... If you do not know what it is, you are missing out on one of the most awesome machines the USN/USMC operate. Granted it really only counts for USA, but it is one of the coolest hovercraft in existence, and would help us design invasion by sea missions.

If you are gonna have LCAC, we will also need LST and LHA/LHD ships (landing ships, helicopter carriers)

Does Russia even have something like that? I have loved landing the Mi-8 on the carrier but I have to make sure the boat is NOT moving, otherwise i bounce off the deck even with engines off.

Su-25 Naval variant!!!!!!!! <--- Is that enough !!!!!!!! for this?

Mig 29... see above.

Harrier!!! (both varieties!)

Do current boats have the ability to launch tomahawks? I do not recall seeing that as armament options in mission editor. That should be a thing.

Edit- Forgot something. Why is it the Su-33 lands, parks all the way at the back, then UNFOLDS its wings as it shuts down, then makes this godawful noise. NO! Please make it stop. I hate that noise!!!!

How about some proper parking spots (the markings are already there.) Make it so that if I start on the ramp or parking hot, I can pick which of those markings I appear on, then maneuver my plane to the cat and press U to line up to the cat (or launch spot) closest to my nosewheel. Make AI taxi with wings closed, and when off, should also keep its wings closed. As long as you land properly, a crowded deck should never equal instant inferno. In my experiments I have found I can safely land 4 AI planes + me parking on the bow. (I tweaked the Kuznetsov lua to allow for 9 parking spots, but it only really ever does 4, nose to tail.) The ships should be able to accomodate more planes on deck, and should also be considerate of a foul deck and work to clear the issue.

Fix helo landing. If the carrier is moving, a helo will not land. Tried the Mi-8 as AI (with tweaks), and the Ka-27. Neither will land unless the carrier is at a dead stop, which is unrealistic. I'd also like to see helos land a little more intelligently, not all the way up near the port waist, where it can quickly fall over the side.

In summary, more realism and goodness, and definitely more fixed and rotary wing aircraft to fly to and from.

Edited by Belgeode
forgot something

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube ~ Twitch

Settle down lads. The boats in DCS don't even let you tell them where to go half the time. Try giving them a target and they won't engage it. This is the most basic functionality and it isn't working too well.

The new Molinya and Moskva look pretty nice but they certainly don't like taking orders. They make nice looking targets is the truth of it.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned or not but I'd love to be able to direct boats to go up/down the Rivers.

There are several Rivers that "should be" navigable, at least by smaller boats i.e. the Speedboats.

I was just trying to create a Mekong Delta/Vietnam type mission today. The kind where (as seen in many Vietnam era videos) a Huey with Rockets and Guns is strafing boats and soldiers on and around the rivers (in boats and on shore).

I discovered to my disappointment that boats can be placed ONLY in the Ocean.

I'm still able to create a similar mission on the ocean but it's just not the same thing.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Great Post!

Units:

- Submarines (with realistic surface / sumerge capability)

Realistic IA:

- Realistic formations (AAW / ASW / point defence barriers)

- Picket ships

- Evasive actions on ships

- Attack Pattern on ships

Realistic capabilities:

- Antisubmarine Warfare (ships / hello / aircraft):

Sosus systems

Sonar engine

Antisubmarine torpedoes / depth charges

Sonobouis on helo / aircrafts / ships

- Antiship Warfare

Sonic countermeasures and decoys (towed / deployable)

Antiship Torpedoes / missiles / mines

Realistic antiship missiles

- Amphibious warfare:

LHA and similar heavy units

LST and similar small units

Heavy units can carry small landing units into them and deploy on sea to travel to landing beach's by crane or wet interior bay.

LST and similar can carry units into them and deploy on sea to travel to landing beach's and deploy them cargo

Vehicles with sea capability can deploy to Heavy landing units and travel to the beachs

- ECM / ECCM / Decoys / Chaffs / Flares on ships

- Datalinks on ships

- Cooperative engagement capability or similar on ships

- EOSAT / ROSAT or similar satellites to detect targets

- Out The Horizon detection and launching weapons

Mine Warfare

- Mine-hunting sonar

- Deploy mines (contact / hydrostatic / influence / etc)

- mine-hunting equipment to disable, destroy mine fields

Logistic

Ships can make Replenishment on sea by Fleet Oiler or AOR ships

VERTREP replenished by Helos

Weapons

- Assisted rocket Torpedo / Stand-off missiles on Submarine / Ships

- Anti-ships / cruise missile weapons with way-points

- Anti-ships can reattach / search pattern (some Harpoon and other anti ship missiles)

- Inertial / Mid-course correction / other sensors on anti-ship / anti-air / cruise missiles

- Anti-ship missiles can be launch to a pattern area.

Other:

Ports and Naval bases (the ships can anchor on them)

Improved naval environment weather and sea state

And that only have a short list :thumbup:

[sIGPIC]index.php?action=dlattach;topic=17112.0;attach=7646;image[/sIGPIC]

www.36stormovirtuale.net

• 2 weeks later...