Panavia Tornado by Polychop-Simulations?

phant

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The complete Baltic Sea theatre and a MARINE IDS scaring the S**t out of some poor, unexpecting mariners, is something I would more agree to. :lol:

"Hah, this time the other way around." :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

If it's a multi-role tornado my wallet is ready :)

I dream of the day I can drop a precision guided bomb or fire off a maverick, and then go straight into BVR in the same plane :D

No mavericks (or any ATGMs) for the Tornado. The only exception is the Brimstone missile which is in service with the RAF for about 5-10 years now. But I doubt that we will get such a modern Tornado (if at all).

The only Tornado variant capable of BVR is the ADV-Tornado that has been in service with the RAF, but it's pretty much a pure interceptor, not really capable of A-G. So it's either one or another, but not both.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The complete Baltic Sea theatre and a MARINE IDS scaring the S**t out of some poor, unexpecting mariners, is something I would more agree to. :lol:

"Hah, this time the other way around." :P

We are a lot of Swedes hoping for a Baltic sea map as well (mainly because of the Viggen module that probably will be) :thumbup:

@dotChuckles

Thanks for your linking. It was a blast to read your article, as it was about the same for me, although I had all set up for a carreer in the GAF and even my grandfather took care of such career long before he died and I was still little.

Back then I did not know that he had contacts the our air force command.

For me it was not the medical that was the issue, for me it was the policy of our country, how they treaded the people at the frontline and orders were made, which I figured during my mendatory service.

I always thought being a soldier would be different, but well, I also figured that only spec ops or Pilot would come into count.

Today I do work in a different enviroment, which is also fun.

But what you wrote about the sim, that go you going and was the top notch sim for you in your childhood reminded me of my top notch sim.

For me it was Janes F15. I flew so many hours in that sim, boy, my mom sometimes did not get to see me for a whole day. When I cam home from school, after homework, I even sometimes told firends, that I do not have time for soccer cause there was a mission that I needed to fly.

Reading your posting and memorising my own childhood, about all that flying and all the pilots that became friends when I was underage, people I admired and still admire today and remember well, makes me think of us flightsimmers being nerds of our own kind in a fancy enviroment that even inspired people to fly to moon and bejond.

Thanks for posting it, and well, maybe some time soon we can make grownup boys happy again.

But that is linked to some important factor that I try to solve in January, as christmas is here and the people in charge are on hollidays by now.

I figured that the Tornado has a huge fanbase in Europe. I always concidered the Strike Eagle being my bird and supperior to the Tornado. But as an GAF general told me when I was 17, the Tornado slices through the thick, bumpy, low level air like a hot knife through butter and only the F111 would match that performance in the NATO stock.

Cheers

Sven

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words Sven. I too remember Janes F15 and was also a frequent flyer for myself. I certainly think sims back then gave a real sense of "being there" and being immersed in the experience. Tornado certainly did that for me. You felt like you'd signed up for a commission when you installed it.

I think we are the luckiest, in that we were the right age during the "golden" age of flight sims of the early 90's to fall under the spell of imagination and adventure that they gave. As such we understand the importance of experience as well as fidelity when it comes to flight sims. It warms me to think that there are people like us who had the same experience and the same enthusiasm and childhood dreams in countries all around the world.

I wish you the best of luck in your negotiations! And hopefully one day I can 'virtually' climb into the front seat of ZD791 in desert pink while my buddy programs a laydown delivery on a SAM site from the back. :-)

I am sure if there is anything you need from the community to get this project on the go, just ask and we'll be there.

Until then, if you have some spare time, I think these films will be of just the right period to be of interest ;-) The first one is a particular favourite of mine.

Enjoy!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
But that is linked to some important factor that I try to solve in January, as christmas is here and the people in charge are on hollidays by now.

Good luck! A Tornado would make me very happy indeed.

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question around the GR.4

Have the British Tornado GR.4 the upgrade package ASSTA 3 Installed?

The ASSTA upgrades belong to the german Tornados. The RAF Tornados have their own upgrades with the GR.4 beeing the most recent one.

For a british Tornado module for DCS you might wanna take a look at this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=90395

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Does there has to be a specific differentiation between british and german tornados ?

From my point of view not. Systems differ but the design does not, so if british, german, italian or saudi tornado, tornado stays tornado, no matter what. Or do we differ between dutch and dansk f16 too ?

I do not get it why we see a ids not the same way we see a gr4, although both are the same planes

:unsure::detective::hmm::spam_laser:

Does there has to be a specific differentiation between british and german tornados ?

From my point of view not. Systems differ but the design does not, so if british, german, italian or saudi tornado, tornado stays tornado, no matter what. Or do we differ between dutch and dansk f16 too ?

I do not get it why we see a ids not the same way we see a gr4, although both are the same planes

I believe that the difference is systems complexity, aircraft capabilities, and availability of certain modern weapons. The GR4s are going to have more digital systems than the original GR1\IDS. I'm just guessing, but weapons like Brimstone, Storm Shadow, and ALARM that are available to the GR4. Would those even be compatible with the weapon management systems in the GR1\IDS version. In that vein, how many of those weapons systems would you be abel to model due to licensing agreements and classification of said weapon systems. Then we all generally have our own countries aircraft as a preference when different Blocks\Tranches are being considered. Myself personally, I'll fly which ever is able have the most complete systems representation you are able to produce.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

I know it's only wiki and it is in german, not a problem for you ;) but there is a table with a comparison in the middle of the page which weapon is/was used by which country.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panavia_Tornado

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

AFAIK the early ones are pretty similar, and the newer they get the more they differ from each other.

The GR.4 and the German IDS with the ASSTA upgrade are pretty different from wach other in the cockpit.

But because they are rather new it might be impossible to model those versions anyway. If I had to make a wild guess I'd say the one you could get the most info for would be the GR.1 which is (AFAIK) the same as the basic German IDS. And that one is identical to the Saudi or Italian ones.

ECR could be an option as well, since IIRC those upgrades were all "under the hood" with no obvious differences in the cockpit compared to the IDS version.

But I'll read a bit into it, maybe I can dig up some more.

Some links (the last one has a source list with some books you might want to get):

http://www.panavia.de/aircraft/overview/variants/

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/tornado/

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/aircraft/types/panavia-tornado-ids.htm

EDIT: And here are a few more links with stuff (wow, that first link here has LOADS of info):

http://www.tornado-data.com/

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Tornado.html

Edited by Aginor

Here is a forums post from another forum with some interesting pictures of different versions' cockpits to compare them:

http://s13.zetaboards.com/Tornado_SIG/single/?p=132200&t=838939

So many things stay the same, the main difference being the screens and their buttons.

EDIT:

This book is recommended quite often:

http://originalundmodell.de/reviews2015/fox_two_ft001.htm

EDIT: The more I read about it the more I think Gr.1 / German IDS should be the way to go. The ECR is different and the UK guys might be unhappy if you model that one, while the Gr.1 seems to be pretty identical to the German IDS.

Just make sure you model the right engines, the IDS had two different ones. All aircraft from batch 4 and later have the RB199-34R 103 which has a bit more thrust.

Edited by Aginor