New Clouds for DCS

Devil 505

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of these improvements would be absolutely incredible!

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

you are not wrong, however there are also lots of middleware solutions, that can be implemented "easily". see speedtree for example, that is used to generate and help with rendering all those trees in dcs already.

i would argue it is more a question of licensing cost versus cost of self development.

True, but speedtrees is designed to be modular (ish) as I understand it. This is an entire engine, it's questionable whether you could lop one piece of and expect it to work without the others.

Still, that is pretty cool, I'm checking it out )

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I know it was not in any of those newsletters, but I can't see them not working on this improvement. Even Wags said in an older video, when he's showcasing or watching a DCS video he loves what he sees until he see the clouds.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I think it's important to make sure that whatever weather system we end up with, that it properly affects the airplanes operating in it. Icing and sensors are just two things affected by weather. We now have observed icing effects on perfectly clear air with at least the hornet. This is wrong, but how does it get fixed? For a weather model to be done right, we would need some kind of model that includes (for examples) the moisture present in the clouds to see how they cause things like icing and radar attenuation. These are just examples. We could have everything up to and including wind currents, hail, and SLD icing. Seems like a big task.

The eye candy vs realism battle continues.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

True, but speedtrees is designed to be modular (ish) as I understand it. This is an entire engine, it's questionable whether you could lop one piece of and expect it to work without the others.

Still, that is pretty cool, I'm checking it out )

Quote from this page https://unigine.com/en/products/engine

3D planet system with geographic coordinates

64-bit coordinates precision: real-world scale of virtual scenes as large as the solar system

Oculus Rift / HTC Vive, curved screens, monitor walls, CAVEs, multi-channel image generation

Superior performance for handling of CAD and 3D scanned data

Compatible with standard content pipeline: FBX, OpenFlight, GeoTIFF, etc

Embeddable into existing C++/C# codebase

...and much more!

Depending on the license, a company would look at the purchase vs paying an employee(s) the man hours needed to get to this level.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

I think it's important to make sure that whatever weather system we end up with, that it properly affects the airplanes operating in it. Icing and sensors are just two things affected by weather. We now have observed icing effects on perfectly clear air with at least the hornet. This is wrong, but how does it get fixed? For a weather model to be done right, we would need some kind of model that includes (for examples) the moisture present in the clouds to see how they cause things like icing and radar attenuation. These are just examples. We could have everything up to and including wind currents, hail, and SLD icing. Seems like a big task.

Sorry to say, but depending on conditions a perfect blue sky causing icing is not uncommon nor unrealistic as any GA pilot would know. Icing may happen with a 20ºC temperature at ground level in a perfect blue sky. I agree we haven't hear of the announced new weather (and clouds) since a lot of time now and more than a few things could be better, but please don't start the usual bashing against everything before you even try to find out what's going on when something happens.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

If you guys want a substantial change in the weather engine as well as any other important "world things" that affect immersion then stop cheering for the new modules development: F-16, F17, F18, F-19, F20 etc etc add your number.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

If you guys want a substantial change in the weather engine as well as any other important "world things" that affect immersion then stop cheering for the new modules development: F-16, F17, F18, F-19, F20 etc etc add your number.

That's kind of backwards. ED needs to sell new modules to make money so they can invest money into new base engine tech like weather etc.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

The Hornets Inlet Ice caution is a bug in the hornet as i dont think DCS models this at all.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

That's kind of backwards. ED needs to sell new modules to make money so they can invest money into new base engine tech like weather etc.

I get it, but who said new weather can't be arranged as a payed module? How about dynamic campaign? I will pay for both.

Because those are core game features that are not the sort of thing you usually pay for. Do you really want to start paying extra for HD texture packs for your planes and maps? Is it not expensive enough already? @@ Also, money doesn't magically make stuff appear. It still has to be coded at some point. I.e. the long boring stretches of time inbetween the cool looking stuff. They're working on it, be patient @@

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I'm patient. I'm saying I would rather pay for some improvements in fundamental features that bring this sim to another level rather than paying for new aircraft modules. To be fair I should note that most of the modules come from 3rd party devs hopefully leaving ED main team alone with their core projects.

Because those are core game features that are not the sort of thing you usually pay for. Do you really want to start paying extra for HD texture packs for your planes and maps? Is it not expensive enough already? @@ Also, money doesn't magically make stuff appear. It still has to be coded at some point. I.e. the long boring stretches of time inbetween the cool looking stuff. They're working on it, be patient @@

I'm all for lifelike and awesome looking clouds, as long as it doesn't tax hardware too much :P Certain settings with clouds even with the current weather engine can cause stuttering for me, and there's not much out there in the way of hardware improvement for me at this point.

2.5 was a big jump from 1.5 in regards of performance, let's hope vulkan adds more headroom in that regard.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I'm all for lifelike and awesome looking clouds, as long as it doesn't tax hardware too much :P Certain settings with clouds even with the current weather engine can cause stuttering for me, and there's not much out there in the way of hardware improvement for me at this point.

2.5 was a big jump from 1.5 in regards of performance, let's hope vulkan adds more headroom in that regard.

Exactly my thoughts. Wags admitted in so many words that the present weather has become a little outdated, and also that they are working on it.

I have never had just cause to have any reservations over Wag's comments and am confident they have something in the pipeline, whether that be a bought in product as detailed in this thread, or a home brewed version. Personally I would think a bought in product would be the easiest for them, just like speedtrees.

There certainly seems to be far more collaboration with high quality third parties than ever before.

However, as you said Headwarp, due to performance issues, we will not see the implementation until Vulkan comes to OB and stable.

It would be nice to see "drag and drop", mobile and fully adjustable pressure systems for dynamic weather, plus selectable, multi layered cloud types with adjustable coverage for static weather included in mission editor.

And yes, I would pay a reasonable amount for a high quality product for single player use, because with Vulkan my system could handle it, however I recognise that others may not want it at all for the same performance reasons; and also to avoid opening another multiplayer can of worms for the private servers, they can choose to have it or not.

Of course I think it should be able to be available to all for free when logging into the dedicated ED Caucasus MP server.

Customers could then make a more informed purchasing decision re benefits and system impact.

After all, everyone looks to different things in DCS, some like as visually realistic a flight as possible and others are more concerned with shooting stuff down, don't really give a fig about clouds and see them as performance eaters.

Of course, it would be nice to have it for free, but my thinking is that those of us looking for eye candy realism over combat would pay a commensurate amount to add realism to their setup and if ED can make a modest profit from doing so, it would encourage them to offer more *. Someone mentioned paying more for higher definition packs for existing modules.... that is a step too far however and I am absolutely confident that ED would never do that. A paid module is a paid module.

* Addons such as animations for ground crew, support vehicles on the ramp. Spawning in a briefing room with your fellow squad mates, then fully controlled walking, climbing into and getting driven across the base in a breadvan / humvee to the flight line, walking up to your assigned aircraft and climbing aboard - this is one of my most hoped for VR wishes.. cockpit access and egress plus using the breathtaking detail of the PG and NTTR bases from " behind the scenes" to its full.

Granted that many would not be interested, esp if not using VR, which is why a payware add-on makes sense, it gives people a choice, encourages ED to sanction it and also allows ED to pay third party developers to carry it out.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Honestly, I do like the current clouds. As long as you are not too high up, then the illusion breaks apart. For me the problem is there seems to be only this one cloud type and while the idea of the dynamic weather system is absolutely amazing, I feel there is not enough control over it. But then again, the Su-25 relies on good weather anyway. I think the night sky should be much brighter on a clear night than it is now.

I prefer the Unigine cloud tech, to me it's more natural and polished

Agreed and they were making it compatible with Vulkan!

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/the-unigine-powered-superposition-benchmark-will-get-vulkan-support-this-year.9509

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I won't comment on other engines and solutions except to say that it's pretty much wishful thinking at this point.

With that said I do wish that Eagle Dynamics finally implements some better looking clouds and atmospheric effects into their "new" engine, it is IMO the single most important part that is still missing to make this simulation the best there is.

In my opinion it is more important than new maps, new modules, or anything else in the pipeline simply because the sky is where we spend 99% of our time in DCS World and while it can look good at times, a lot of the times we do have some weather systems they look so much poorer compared to the looks of all the other great stuff we have in the game that it can be pretty immersion breaking.

There was nothing regarding weather updates in the last roadmap that ED have published so I think it is very doubtful we will see anything of that sort in 2019.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• 1 month later...

This is one of the newest videos demoing the engine. Imagine these clouds rolling over the Caucus map in VR.

Amazing! ED shall spent more time in the sky enviroment then in the land, because we spent more time in the sky then in the land.

I'd very much prefer a new cloud system over additional new aircraft.

For me it's mainly the "rotating" clouds issue (when you tilt your head in VR) that completely ruins immersion. Not sure if the effect is also visible on a monitor, but as a DCS VR only user, I prefer clear skies just to avoid this.

Which is a pity, because that way I miss out on the canopy rain effect (which looks really good considering the current possibilities performance wise)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH