DCS Carrier Discussion

Airhunter

7 hours ago, CheckGear said:

As for "profits over product maintenance," find me a company that doesn't do that. Any business venture that doesn't make money won't survive. That's it. 

Up until the 2010s or so there were plenty of companies that balanced profits and product maintenance. In the '90s and before it was the norm. Now the goal posts have been shifted to profits over all else, with little in the way of balance. I've watched just about every quality product I enjoyed in the late '90s and early '00s circle the toilet and be replaced with inferior products at the same price because of this business shift. And before anyone tries to create a straw man fallacy by cherry-picking something I said (which seems to be the norm on discussion boards), I am not insinuating that DCS is an inferior product, nor am I wishing DCS to stop developing new products. I want them to do a better job of balancing product maintenance and developing new products. Anyone with an IQ over 100 can see the inbalance after how the Viper impeded Hornet development when they assured us it wouldn't, the shoddy state the Viper was in, the abandonment of the Yak-52, F-86, MiG-15, and now the lack of updates to the Supercarrier by prioritizing niche items like the ready room. They told us they would prioritize product maintenance with longer update schedules, but the quality of the updates is still just as low as when the update schedule was faster, with promised bug fixes missing two or more updates, ignoring glaring bugs reported by nearly everyone in the community, and introducing even more new bugs. And before anyone says "bugs are part of the business," yes that is true. And it's also been proven time and again by professional coders among us that ED's code management is subpar thus leading to more bugs than there should be, but so much valid criticism in these forums gets shut down because it's an echo chamber, and any community that allows valid criticism gets labeled "toxic." Echo chambers are by far more toxic, especially when the company won't listen to anyone outside of their echo chamber. As much as I love naval aviation in DCS, the Supercarrier is just another chapter in the same book I just summarized above. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Anyone know, why the performance-thread in the Bug-section was closed? There was no reason stated.

I also have some severe stutters problems with the SC, especially in connection with the Tomcat (seems A more than B). Its clearly not a GPU-thing like in Syria (which I actually accept as progress since most new things come with a price-tag).

Concerning the rest of the discussion, I just want to say, I dont need a hangar, ready room or Airboss-Station. I just want some yellow-shirts to guide me around with no stutters.

In EDs defense I just want to remind everybody, how things were one year ago after initial 2.5.6 -release. Things are better now than then, arent they?

Edited by Wali763

I think it's that simple:

Money was spend for Supercarrier. So why should they invest work in this module, when they can earn money with new modules like Mosquito, Hind or Apache?

• Like 1

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

Hi,

Ive been away from DCS for a few months. Is there still no way to remove the pop up IFLOLS in game or do you still need to edit a file after each update?

F/A-18C | F-16C | JF-17 | F-14 | FC3 | AV-8B | AJS-37 | F-5E | M-2000C | Mig 15bis | C-101 | F-86 | A-10C | P-51D | Fw 190 A-8 | Christen Eagle II | Bf 109 K-4 |

Ryzen 5 2600 | MSI RTX 2070 Super | ASROCK B450m Pro | 16GB G.SKill Ripjaws 3200 DDR4 | 500GB WD Blue Internal SSD | 1TB Samsung Evo 860 SSD | Logitech X56 HOTAS | PSEYE Track IR | Delan Clip | :joystick:

42 minutes ago, mmoccio said:

Hi,

Ive been away from DCS for a few months. Is there still no way to remove the pop up IFLOLS in game or do you still need to edit a file after each update?

You still have to edit the file but the option is in the works.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Pieterras said:

check this out: The only real correct carrier ops vids for DCS

Hi Pieterras,

thank you so much for taking time to make such an excellent video tutorial about Cyclic Ops full CASE I recovery.

antonio.

28 minutes ago, joker62 said:

Hi Pieterras,

thank you so much for taking time to make such an excellent video tutorial about Cyclic Ops full CASE I recovery.

antonio.

Hey man,

iIt has been online a while, however the place they have put it on the forum is the most inconvenient to get the msgs across, so pls spread the word 🙂 

Just now, Pieterras said:

Hey man,

iIt has been online a while, however the place they have put it on the forum is the most inconvenient to get the msgs across, so pls spread the word 🙂 

I sure will. I don't understand how I could have missed it, considering I often follow FA-18 and SC forums, especially your guides, explanations, tips and the like.

Thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...

So I wanted to play with the IKE.  It was easy to modify the skins and files on the CVN-74 to make it look like CVN-69, but I really want mod a supercarrier.  I was able to access the Nimitz_Decals.dds file to modify the 7 and 3 to look like a 6 and 9, but I can't get it to apply the decal.  I am using GIMP to export the DDS.  Just wondering if anyone else has had success with anything similar.  The IKE is sentimental to me, so I'd rather play with the GW disguised as the Ike than to not have people moving around on deck as with the TR-subclass supercarriers.

image.png

I believe you'll have to wait until ED releases the template for the SC.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

12 hours ago, Thinker3932 said:

IKE livery coming along....

image.png

Are you considering edit/make a liverie for the deck itself? darker or a cleaner one.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 5 weeks later...

ED, are their plans for the deck crew to be used like other mobile models? For example, set them up to walk/run from point A to point B?

• Like 2

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I'd just like the marshals to use wands at night!

• Like 11

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

53 minutes ago, MustangSally said:

I'd just like the marshals to use wands at night!

Two weeks!

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2