[REPORTED]VR Performance OB 2.5.6

Gripen 4-1

Have you tested on other maps?

Sorry, no. I don't have the PG map; and I hardly ever use Normandy / Nevada.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did it fix? Low FPS or Stutters? Because that thread is about stutters, while this is one about low FPS...

Yes, I don't think that suggestion above is relevant. As you say, it has to do with stuttering and Tacview, whereas we are talking about poor fps performance in 2.5.6.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It is relevant.

I have a stress test mission- with 36 B-17's being attacked by 20 fighters. Before 2.5.6 I had 60-120 fps.

After 2.5.6, the frames dropped to 17(!) in the mission.

Similiar heavy fps drops in other missions, although that was extreme.

After the fix, the frames are back to normal, addionally, stutters are gone.

But yes- it has to do with frames/performance. At least for me.

It is relevant.

I have a stress test mission- with 36 B-17's being attacked by 20 fighters. Before 2.5.6 I had 60-120 fps.

After 2.5.6, the frames dropped to 17(!) in the mission.

Similiar heavy fps drops in other missions, although that was extreme.

After the fix, the frames are back to normal, addionally, stutters are gone.

But yes- it has to do with frames/performance. At least for me.

Glad that worked for you, but it’s not the answer to the FPS issues in 2.5.6. Most people don’t even have Tacview installed!

DCS doesn’t touch files in ‘Saved Games’.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Check thread #8 and below. Those tips completely fixed my performance! Thanks the the OP!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=263567

I just tried this and tested again as described above - unfortunately it had no effect.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I just tried this and tested again as described above - unfortunately it had no effect.

ditto in terms of frame time loss, though it does seem smoother ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I've done a bit of research on the VR performance as well and my conclusion was:

- The VR performance difference between 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 is small to none in empty missions with little to no AI action.

- The VR performance degrades rapidly and significantly once you start adding more objects and AI units to the mission.

To me it seems like there is something in 2.5.6 that is causing more impact on the CPU side which then results in latter not being able to "feed" the graphics card properly.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

I've done a bit of research on the VR performance as well and my conclusion was:

- The VR performance difference between 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 is small to none in empty missions with little to no AI action.

- The VR performance degrades rapidly and significantly once you start adding more objects and AI units to the mission.

To me it seems like there is something in 2.5.6 that is causing more impact on the CPU side which then results in latter not being able to "feed" the graphics card properly.

Thank you for the input . My own experience , flying solo with no AI , is vastly different in 2.56 . I have lowered settings substantially , with little effect .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I agree with that. It's the CPU times in fpsVR that have gone crazy under certain circumstances.

Maybe 2.5.6 is the long awaited promised performance boost!

And maybe ED does not understand the difference between doubled and halved fps.

IMO pushing out an update which is this bugged is ridiculous even on an open beta.

2 weeks and not even a word from the devs about the horribe performance loss...

...rolling back to 2.5.5 now.

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

I have a I9-9900K, 2080TI and 32GB Ram.

2.5.5 Main Branch: I have absolut stable 60FPS (VSYNC ON) in near every Situation (even huge all out war Missions).

2.5.6 BETA: i have 43FPS on a EMPTY Stennis! WTF thats horrible...

I switscht between 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 thee Times and every Time same effect. PLEASE ED this must be fixt bevore this shit hits the MAIN BRNACH. smoof FPS is absolut essential for my Emersion. At the moment i can onley enjo playing on Main Branch :(

edit: i have no VR! Just 1080P Monitor and Trak IR

Edited by Dagobert666

• ED Team

Hi all

Can I ask you to attach track replays to show us which missions are creating problems for you. Please make them as short as possible, but long enough to show the FPS hit you see.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Is there any way of showing the fpsVR overlay as that clearly shows the horrible CPU frame times in certain circumstances which in turn brings the overall FPS down?

Without that, it’s not obvious what is going on.

To point: "- The VR performance difference between 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 is small to none in empty missions with little to no AI action.", try to use some sensors TV or Su-25T/KA-50 SVAKL in caucasus, it´s a stutter fest specially when those sensors points to the horizon.

I did some more testing. The more units, air or ground, the bigger the FPS loss comared to 2.5.5. Also, it doesn't matter if these units are close or 150 miles away. Same FPS loss. I have an idea: in 2.5.6, water reflections are way more detailed. Also, there is water under every piece of dry land in DCS. What if reflections render for every object even on the surface of the underground water, and this is causing the loss?

Hi all

Can I ask you to attach track replays to show us which missions are creating problems for you. Please make them as short as possible, but long enough to show the FPS hit you see.

thanks

Thanks, BIGNEWY!

Good to know that you guys are working on it.

Problem is present in EVERY mission regardless what map or aircraft I'm trying to fly.

Framerate in VR is halved. Framerate in 2D is about 30% less than in 2.5.5

Hopefully you can sort it out soon.

Make DCS great again!:smilewink:

GOOD LUCK, ED!

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

Here 2 tracks to show impact of "turbulences wake" in F/A-18c instant action 8v8 BVR, in 2.5.6 (at least on my side and in VR, in 2.5.5 this mission was OK with turbulences).

Test3.trk is this mission without "turbulences wake" enabled, Test3turb.trk has the option enabled with halved fps.

Tracks I post are direct copies of original tracks before I replay them (I've not watched these copies, if issued I can post originals but I watched them/corrupted them?), I noticed that :

1) tracks seem ok at beginning but quickly they are desync, I chase ghost planes and fire missile toward nothing, might not be an issue to see perf impact.

2) "turbulences wakes" option is hard coded in track, you have it or not enabled in options doesn't matter, a good thing to see perf impact.

Also MSI afterburner monitoring of both flights.

test3.trk

test3turb.trk

Monitoring-turbulences.thumb.png.1828f806a69d616a373630eced4599dd.png

Here 2 tracks to show impact of "turbulences wake" in F/A-18c instant action 8v8 BVR, in 2.5.6 (at least on my side and in VR, in 2.5.5 this mission was OK with turbulences).

Test3.trk is this mission without "turbulences wake" enabled, Test3turb.trk has the option enabled with halved fps.

Tracks I post are direct copies of original tracks before I replay them (I've not watched these copies, if issued I can post originals but I watched them/corrupted them?), I noticed that :

1) tracks seem ok at beginning but quickly they are desync, I chase ghost planes and fire missile toward nothing, might not be an issue to see perf impact.

2) "turbulences wakes" option is hard coded in track, you have it or not enabled in options doesn't matter, a good thing to see perf impact.

Also MSI afterburner monitoring of both flights.

Interesting, stuff. Thanks for the efforts, Toutenglisse. :thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Here very short track about the TGP/Mav perf issue over Caucasus in VR.

I noticed something about this : here I just turn on TGP-Flir + Mav on displays, and fly turning around banking so both pointers are just below or on horizon. (in A10c)

On the first 360° around the perf are totally bad (less than 20 fps, issue accompanied by 4 cpu cores at 100% usage) every time pointers are upon mountains with forest area. During time pointers look to georgia west/sea direction, fps are good.

At the exact moment I finish the first 360° the perf are totally OK. The next 360° is perfect no issue.

If I restart this it happens again the same.

A10tgp-mav-bug.thumb.png.db4137600d0f06cf7e47c7ce5ae24108.png

A10tgp-mav-bug.trk

I dropped from a solid 45 fps (ASW on) with Rift S to an average of 26 fps using my standard benchmark test, which is the first 30 seconds of the Persian gulf free flight mission, looking forward and just flying straight.

I changed some of the settings down below where I normally have them, but even with doing that was only able to get it up around 33 avg fps :(

Here very short track about the TGP/Mav perf issue over Caucasus in VR.

I noticed something about this : here I just turn on TGP-Flir + Mav on displays, and fly turning around banking so both pointers are just below or on horizon. (in A10c)

On the first 360° around the perf are totally bad (less than 20 fps, issue accompanied by 4 cpu cores at 100% usage) every time pointers are upon mountains with forest area. During time pointers look to georgia west/sea direction, fps are good.

At the exact moment I finish the first 360° the perf are totally OK. The next 360° is perfect no issue.

If I restart this it happens again the same.

[ATTACH]228785[/ATTACH]

I thing that some sort of terrain preloading occours when zooiming sensors, then stuttering happens

I finally got round to installing Maple Flag's F18 Aggressor campaign. In the first (Familiarisation) mission, I get:

2.5.5 last OB 40 fps (ASW kicking in)

2.5.6 latest OB 5 fps !!!

This is on entering the mission, sitting in the cockpit of the powered down aircraft and looking around.

Settings are as per my previous test. ( https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4221938&postcount=73 ).

This is the first complex (i.e. containing many objects), and Nevada, mission I have tried - and have to agree with many other posters that the frame rate decrease is severe in this case.

Edited by Hippo