Flat shadows removal mod

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ozlsEifHvCK1p_-ttCImVBwUnvcZCROY

This mod deactivates the flat shadows of practically all scenery objects (notably trees/forests and buildings) within DCS World, only leaving shadows for own aircraft and surrounding objects such as ground units and other aircraft.

The main benefit to be gained from this is to retain the cockpit shadows while turning off nearly all external shadow sources, this mod is especially useful for VR users who are familiar with having to turn pit shadows off.

Hi mustang...i tried this mod and it seems to deactivate all shadows on the ground also the one from my aircraft.

I see the shadows in cockpit as usual but i cannot see the shadow projected from my aircraft on the ground. I the to understand that the intended effect should be to disable all ground object shadows but leave the ones from own aircraft on the ground on. Did i misunderstand?

I have shadows high in cockpit and flat ground shadows (low shadows in VR and flat ground).

Is there something i could have made wrong?

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hi mustang...i tried this mod and it seems to deactivate all shadows on the ground also the one from my aircraft.

I see the shadows in cockpit as usual but i cannot see the shadow projected from my aircraft on the ground. I the to understand that the intended effect should be to disable all ground object shadows but leave the ones from own aircraft on the ground on. Did i misunderstand?

I have shadows high in cockpit and flat ground shadows (low shadows in VR and flat ground).

Is there something i could have made wrong?

Yes that should be how it works, your aircraft shadow and the ones from other clients/AI etc should be visible, strange maybe you could post a screenshot of your settings?

Yes that should be how it works, your aircraft shadow and the ones from other clients/AI etc should be visible, strange maybe you could post a screenshot of your settings?

I mean...on the ground they are visible both my plane an near ones (example fa18 pg ready on the ramp mission) shadows.

But in flight also when flying very low I don’t see any shadow from my plane.

I will post a screenshot later

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I use the VR shaders mod also and would like to know if this mod breaks it or otherwise interferes with it.

When i went to install this using JSGME it did say there was a conflict with the VR Shader Mod.

Edited by razalom

Thanks Razalom. I've had a look at the file structure on both mods and although they use some of the same folders, I can't see any file conflicts.

Just tried it again now and this is what the message is

NVD_HDR.fx" has already been altered by the "DCS VR Shaders 2.5.6 (ICpass)" mod.

Ah, I downloaded the shaders mod from here

which doesn't include that file (NVD_HDR.fx). If the file size / date is the same I'd say it's OK to overwrite.

[EDIT] Just checked and they're not the same file size so I'd install the Flat Shadows removal first and then Kegety's and test it that way :)

Edited by kraszus

• 3 weeks later...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ozlsEifHvCK1p_-ttCImVBwUnvcZCROY

This mod deactivates the flat shadows of practically all scenery objects (notably trees/forests and buildings) within DCS World, only leaving shadows for own aircraft and surrounding objects such as ground units and other aircraft.

The main benefit to be gained from this is to retain the cockpit shadows while turning off nearly all external shadow sources, this mod is especially useful for VR users who are familiar with having to turn pit shadows off.

To gain the most out of this mod the user should select Terrain Object Shadows as Flat, the other shadow setting in the DCS options can be set to what ever the user desires.

Also included in this package is a tweaked NVG shader for clearer cockpit reading, a modified overcast shader (adjusted luminance levels) and a very popular modification for smoke columns.

To use this mod simply extract the 'Bazar' folder to the root directory of DCS World and allow overwrite of files, alternatively you can use this mod with any manager you want.

Hi Mustang,

I tried your mod butI just reread you post and this is supposed to turn OFF the shadows on the ground like for the trees and buildings and such?? If so I still saw shadows on the trees in the interdiction f16 mission..

I am using beta version latest..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Hi Mustang,

I tried your mod butI just reread you post and this is supposed to turn OFF the shadows on the ground like for the trees and buildings and such?? If so I still saw shadows on the trees in the interdiction f16 mission..

I am using beta version latest..

What shadow setting did you use? Flat or default?

@Mustang thanks for this awesome mod I was searching for

Whats is strange on my computer in VR (reverb pro with 2080ti) is that with or without your mod I have 70% GPU usage.

But it works I have no more shadows for building and trees.

Link not working

Recently produced video showing what the mod does

Updated link? This one is broken.

Thanks.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

• 2 months later...
Files verified working with current openbeta, and is quite beneficial for the Syria map.

edit: this mod will be merged into the newer DCS shaders package.

Is there a way to make it MP compatible?

Thank you Mustang

With an ageing OC'd 6600K and a 1080, shadows in DCS have always been a problem for me even at 1080P and 2D. Whether its my rig or just DCS, Ive always found the draw in of default setting shadows jarring and the flat ones irritating when it comes to steep drop offs. Removing them, removes the issue and, whilst i'd thought id miss them, the absence of them distracting me and the extra headroom its gives me room to play with the other graphic options and things like skynet without bone jarring stutters is a big plus.

THe only thing that still irritates is the cut off shadow of the aircraft but thats unavoidable. If only the aircraft shadow could be separated from the rest.

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Is there any way (or any available mod) that just removes only the trees shadows?

I remember something that did that back in the days of DCS 1.5 early versions, something like that for current DCS 2.5 would be great! :)

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

• 1 month later...

For those folks who are running older hardware, these mods are fantastic!

Thanks <> MUSTANG <> !

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]