what are you using for controls in the Huey ?

Rick50

On 1/22/2021 at 12:52 PM, Sharkku said:

I use a very similar setup, with main spring removed from the TM Warthog HOTAS stick. TM Pendular rudders are costly, but boy, what a difference compared to my old Logitech plastic pedals.

I have the Index headset now, pretty similar to the CV1, just a little higher resolution. Used to fly with the CV1. 

One important thing: Do you have the collective axis reversed, so that you increase lift/collective by pulling backwards? It mimics real life more closely, and enabled me to fly a real helicopter competently on my first lesson. Really recommend it. 

Yes ofcourse. I fly still with the CV1, but i'll upgrade to the G2 eventually or if a better headset comes along after a while. I'm also aiming for the Virpil collective set that comes out this year if they arent priced too high.

Norwegian Rotorhead w\ All Helicopters

Watercooled AMD FX-8350 | Geforce 1060 6GB | 16 GiG DDR3 | Warthog Everything w/ pendulum pedals | Rift VR

Watercooled AMD Ryzen 9500X | RTX 3080 12GB | 64 GB DDR4 3600mhz | Warthog Everything w/Pendulum Pedals | Rift VR (CV1)

14 ore fa, Raven (Elysian Angel) ha scritto:

Dedicated helo controls always are, because they're so niche. There is no mass production, which drives up the unit cost.

You should probably only buy such a setup if you're really serious about flying helicopters. This is overkill for casual use.

Yeah I understand that...

I don't even have the basics for helicopter flying. I used Jane's Longbow when I was a little boy, but didn't touch RW till then.

I would like to learn and become serious about it, but till now my first attempts with the Huey are failing, I am barely able to take off and cruise with it, but everything else turns into a disaster 🙂

So until I will learn better I will stay with usual aircraft controls... I would need an instructor I think 🙂

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Yeah I understand that...
I don't even have the basics for helicopter flying. I used Jane's Longbow when I was a little boy, but didn't touch RW till then.
I would like to learn and become serious about it, but till now my first attempts with the Huey are failing, I am barely able to take off and cruise with it, but everything else turns into a disaster
So until I will learn better I will stay with usual aircraft controls... I would need an instructor I think
Get a really cheap used stick, that you can mod to non-centering. That'll get you a long way.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

On 1/24/2021 at 5:35 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yes it's quite a bit more convenient for helo flying than a fixed wing setup. It takes quite a lot of getting used to obviously, but it's worth the effort since it's a more authentic experience.
I've had this thing for over 3 years now.

One other disadvantage is the amount of time it takes to switch from helo to fixed wing and back again: I don't have room for both setups simultaneously, so it takes a bit of tinkering to switch back and forth to set things up just the way I want to. Obviously I don't do that too often...

That's one of the reason why I only fly helo anymore 😉

Edited by rge75
  • Like 1

For those using rudder pedals with office-type chairs, how are you preventing your chairs from rolling and/or rotating when you push on the rudders? I guess it's less of an issue with helicopter-style pedals where one can keep one's heels on the ground, but what do people who have to keep their whole foot on the pedal do?

I used to fly with an office chair, and what I did was rolling the chair sideways into "flying position" instead of rolling it forward, so that the wheels are rotated perpencidular. That prevents you from sliding backwards most of the time, but it can still be an issue.
I since then moved to a "one person sofa" from which I removed the wheels.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro.

Use keyboard for throttle and keyboard for anti-torque, my set up makes it practically impossible to do simultaneous inputs apart from cyclic and rudder.

It's difficult but doable, but I almost never do anything combat related in the Huey, nor do I do sling loading; though I probably if I get a throttle + pedals/VKB twist adapter.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Il 29/1/2021 at 12:19, jym ha scritto:

For those using rudder pedals with office-type chairs, how are you preventing your chairs from rolling and/or rotating when you push on the rudders? I guess it's less of an issue with helicopter-style pedals where one can keep one's heels on the ground, but what do people who have to keep their whole foot on the pedal do?

I have 3d printed blocks under my chair wheels that prevent them from rolling.

I make do with an old (17 years) Saitek X-45 and no pedals. Not the ideal setup and I plan on upgrading everything later this year. I am able to fly the Huey decently, though lack range of movement and precision on the stick to do the more advanced stuff.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Saitek X56 with spring removed and Saitek pedals.  Anyone using Trim with the Huey and no spring joystick?  I don't even use because the stick will just lay over if I let go of it.  Still having problems getting the axis tuned but I think it's more of an issue with the flight dynamics of the Huey, it's really a bit squirrelly and needs an update or more fine tuning capabilities like that of the X-Plane Huey.  No IRL flight time in a Huey only a Bell 222 to compare it to.  Sorry if I went a little off topic.

I use T16000 stick + hotas + MFG Crosswinds.  I inverted the throttle so pulling it towards me is like lifting it up. I had tried to fly the Huey when it was free to play in the past just using the joystick and throttle and it wasn't fun AT ALL. I recommend the MFG Crosswinds over anything made of plastic! They may be a little price but they will last.

"Now how do I land this thing?" *Sound of pages turning*

Getting by with a VKB NXT stick and Logitech X-56 throttle. Using one of the rotaries on the throttle for rudder.

On 2/6/2021 at 9:18 AM, Zap921 said:

Saitek X56 with spring removed and Saitek pedals.  Anyone using Trim with the Huey and no spring joystick?  I don't even use because the stick will just lay over if I let go of it.  Still having problems getting the axis tuned but I think it's more of an issue with the flight dynamics of the Huey, it's really a bit squirrelly and needs an update or more fine tuning capabilities like that of the X-Plane Huey.  No IRL flight time in a Huey only a Bell 222 to compare it to.  Sorry if I went a little off topic.

Try this on the X-56 stick. Works great with the center spring removed.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Very cool, nice job on that!  I went without the spring to get closer to the feel of a real cyclic which doesn't want to naturally return to center.  The joystick would better way better if it had no spring and some type of adjustable friction to lightly hold it in any position that you set it in once you tightened it.  Four gas shocks which stayed in your desired position in your setup would be excellent also as long as the friction wasn't to high to move the stick.

The Mikhail Collective, working great.

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Thrustmaster HOTAS X. It's a decent set for the pre-covid price, though seems a bit pricey now thanks to the short supply. I also plug in my G27 h-box, to get a bunch of extra buttons, a second d-pad, and the stick itself (essentially 7 more "buttons"), since I fly VR so can't really use the keyboard. It works well but I'd really like some pedals at some point.

Edited by Goffik

On 1/30/2021 at 12:25 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I used to fly with an office chair, and what I did was rolling the chair sideways into "flying position" instead of rolling it forward, so that the wheels are rotated perpencidular. That prevents you from sliding backwards most of the time, but it can still be an issue.
I since then moved to a "one person sofa" from which I removed the wheels.

I got something similar to these.  

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Stationary-Separate-Adhesive-Included/dp/B071VBFMF5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3D printed collective with AB412 head (huey head option available):

collective - Imgur.jpg

Hall sensor for collective, regular pot for throttle. 2 arduinos in the head for controlling 2 mini sticks and 17 buttons (8 switches + 1 button) and 1 final arduino in the base (connected to head via 4 cable I2C) for the collective and throttle axis and final USB connection.

http://hc625ma.org/single-engine-collective/

Edited by pacastro
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2021 at 4:37 AM, pacastro said:

collective - Imgur.jpg

Hall sensor for collective, regular pot for throttle. 2 arduinos in the head for controlling 2 mini sticks and 17 buttons (8 switches + 1 button) and 1 final arduino in the base (connected to head via 4 cable I2C) for the collective and throttle axis and final USB connection.

Outstanding work!!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

For several years I have been using my own Lego design with mjoy16 electronics.

I have set the axis of the collective inverted for helicopters.

DSC_0060_2.jpg

DSC_0056_2.jpg

DSC_0053_2.jpg

• Like 4

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Il 2/3/2021 at 04:37, pacastro ha scritto:

collective - Imgur.jpg

I tried to build that too (with huey head) but I've always had electronic issues (maybe due to my bad skills in soldering), so I quit the project and buy Mikhail's collective.

Il 11/2/2021 at 03:59, javelina1 ha scritto:

The Mikhail Collective, working great.

Being built mostly in metal it's a lot more solid than the plastic 3d printed project and works flawlessly.

• Like 1