Can't go back using the litening.. ATFLIR all the way

Mizrach

15 hours ago, Recluse said:

They are investigating according to the BUG REPORT tag. Many people have this issue.

Meanwhile, you can use Manual Lasing. Box the TRIG box on the FLIR and hold the TRIGGER down until Maverick Impact. The laser will fire as long as you hold the Trigger (unless they changed something in 2.7 for this too). I haven't tried manual lasing in 2.7 but it should work for BOTH ATFLIR and LITENING.

You could also just load up the current STABLE version of 2.6 and all will work fine (of course no ATFLIR and you lose the other enhancements to 2.7)

Yes, it has been reported Did 2.7/ATFLIR break Laser Mavericks? - Bugs - ED Forums (eagle.ru) but no, you can't fix it by using manual trigger.  A soon as you press that, the timer starts. Same issue with both TPODs.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

For those who prefer litening over ATFLIR because Litening has better zoom just wait until ED reduce it just like what they did with Hornet radar. Better get used to using ATFLIR before get dissapointed IMO. these are WIP after all.

• Like 1

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

ATFLIR AUTO track is far superior, with better visual feedback and a larger tracking zone.

Litening PTRK appears bugged. 12:00hrs, -2c, weather preset 1, FLIR active, Litening unable to aquire PTRK at less than 4nm. Same conditions ATFLIR is capable of tracking all placeable objects, moving and stationary out to 10nm. Tracking gates move with the object so you get good visual feedback that a track was successful.

Edited by LastRifleRound

• 3 weeks later...
Am I right in thinking that with the ATFLIR, we can now see where the pod is looking through a symbol in the HUD (much like in the Warthog))?
Nothing changed, you only see the A/G designation, not the FLIR LOS on the HUD.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

On 4/16/2021 at 9:56 PM, Harlikwin said:

Thats because the litening zoom is done wrong. It should look like a scene out of minecraft on 9x because its digital zoom, and we all know how well that works.

Funnily enough Heatblur's LANTIRN exactly models that effect.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Funnily enough Heatblur's LANTIRN exactly models that effect.

LANTIRN should have a pixelated view, but LITENING and ATFLIR would get mushy because digital filtering to improve the quality.

Example the LITENING max 9x digital zoom is 56 x 56 px and it go through digital image enhancing filter that makes it blurry, soft blob instead pixelated Tetris game. You can make something out at 5-6x digital zoom but you are pretty much looking a blob on blob anyways if using FLIR.

ATFLIR benefit is it one level digital zoom only IIRC. 

To get better image in DCS one needs to get LITENING 4G that Harrier has.

1024 x 1024 FLIR and CCD to start with and many other fancy improvements over ATFLIR and LITENING AT like multipoint track, offsets and laser imager for challenging weather and lighting conditions.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

9 hours ago, Fri13 said:

LANTIRN should have a pixelated view, but LITENING and ATFLIR would get mushy because digital filtering to improve the quality.

Example the LITENING max 9x digital zoom is 56 x 56 px and it go through digital image enhancing filter that makes it blurry, soft blob instead pixelated Tetris game. You can make something out at 5-6x digital zoom but you are pretty much looking a blob on blob anyways if using FLIR.

ATFLIR benefit is it one level digital zoom only IIRC. 

To get better image in DCS one needs to get LITENING 4G that Harrier has.

1024 x 1024 FLIR and CCD to start with and many other fancy improvements over ATFLIR and LITENING AT like multipoint track, offsets and laser imager for challenging weather and lighting conditions.

Sure, it would be better than the old LNTIRN for sure but by no means as "perfect" as it is right now.

3 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Sure, it would be better than the old LNTIRN for sure but by no means as "perfect" as it is right now.

Sure, not at all as perfection as now.

It will be interesting what new FLIR simulation brings, and how it interacts with coming moisture simulation as well.

We might see a major changes in overall combat procedures where optical targeting systems becomes severely affected.

If we get more ground clutter and better AI as well that ground combat ranges drops to more realistic 50-200 meters area fight in forest etc, then you really need to be able identify your targets that who are you going to support or attack.

It is easy when you have 1-2 km separation between troops on ground, but totally another case for troops in close contact.

It would give huge increased value to maps with large urban areas as you would get limited visuals and troops inside buildings, backyards, roofs, windows, on streets etc. That is maybe the ultimate moment when pilot at 2-5 nmi distance can't have good situational awareness what really is happening.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It really comes down to what you want to simulate. Performance is in the same ballpark, but might change in the future.

NAVY  - ATFLIR
MARINES - LITENING (on centerline only)
SPANISH AIR FORCE - LITENING

That's it. Simple. Figure out what service you are flying for and load accordingly.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Schmidtfire said:

It really comes down to what you want to simulate. Performance is in the same ballpark, but might change in the future.

NAVY  - ATFLIR
MARINES - LITENING (on centerline only)
SPANISH AIR FORCE - LITENING

That's it. Simple. Figure out what service you are flying for and load accordingly.

Doesn't the Marines that are carrier based use the ATFLIR? 

14 minutes ago, Drac said:

Correct. IIRC the LITENING was never cleared for use in the fleet either due to G-tolerances regarding arrested landing.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

2 hours ago, Drac said:

Did not know Marines deployed together with the Navy on carriers.
Yes. Marines on carrier = ATFLIR

Point of the original post is to pick whatever makes more sense for what you are simulating. Obviously, if only raw performance matter
for a "generic" multiplayer mission, the Litening is hard to beat. Incredible zoom performance and ability to point laser marker during night missions. 
However, I really like the fast zoom levels on the ATFLIR. It also looks a bit sleeker mounted on the chin.     

Edited by Schmidtfire

On 4/16/2021 at 10:12 PM, Limaro said:

What I see as disadvantage with the ATFLIR, is the only possibility to station it at the side of the aircraft (will this change later?). This limits the possibilities of other things to carrie, as tanks are extremely in the way of the view. With the Lighting pod in the center, you can easily carrie two tanks and still have a good view.

Ta Daaaa - 2 tanks good view 😛

Hornet Double Ugly loadout.jpgLooks like sniper pod, no idea where this image is from.

Every of the 2 pods has their own use, ATFLIR is much better at finding targets since you can see larger area with it, while Litening has better zoom (altho image is too perfect with max digital zoom, I hope it will be corrected), I still use both, but ATFLIR is much more practical so I tend to use it more than Litening.

Edited by Furiz
  • Like 2

Ta Daaaa - 2 tanks good view

1060494768_HornetDoubleUglyloadout.thumb.jpg.87784ad7f69de9b5b2d05244302ab595.jpgLooks like sniper pod, no idea where this image is from.

Every of the 2 pods has their own use, ATFLIR is much better at finding targets since you can see larger area with it, while Litening has better zoom (altho image is too perfect with max digital zoom, I hope it will be corrected), I still use both, but ATFLIR is much more practical so I tend to use it more than Litening.
I love the double ugly. You "get" a full pylon back that can mount any weapons the aircraft can carry (aside from AGM-62 there) compared to the centerline pod where you only get one AAM cheek station.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I must say I like the ATFLIR very much! Don't know why really, but it's interface seems more natural. (I have no clue of course how it would be in reality). OK less zoom, but I find keeping a broader overview also important. And yes, if you fly Navy / carrier based then you should load the ATFLIR! 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 9:00 AM, Schmidtfire said:

Did not know Marines deployed together with the Navy on carriers.
Yes. Marines on carrier = ATFLIR

Point of the original post is to pick whatever makes more sense for what you are simulating. Obviously, if only raw performance matter
for a "generic" multiplayer mission, the Litening is hard to beat. Incredible zoom performance and ability to point laser marker during night missions. 
However, I really like the fast zoom levels on the ATFLIR. It also looks a bit sleeker mounted on the chin.     

Yeah! After Using it over and over after since the release.. I found out that there are times that I wish I had the Litening especially at stand off missions. But in CAS and other mission in which range isn't an issue... the diamond cue and the quick zoom in and zoom out view of the ATFLIR is just so much superior and smooth to operate.