We Want To Hear Your Ideas For A New Map In DCS!

25 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

Here's my idea:

Make a fictional map that can handle a wide variety of real-world scenarios, as well as fictional ones. Such a map could easily be done, and could be representative of a multiple locations, all without having to worry about the political landscape as it is now. Just my two cents.

What a good idea, Middle Earth, imagine the Sauron Squadron, and Orcs flying A-10s

• Like 8

Mac Pro 5,1 (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB RAM - Radeon RX 590

Mac OS X 10.15 - Bootcamp - Windows 10 - 2 x SSD 1TB - T16000M HOTAS - DCS World & Open Beta - Operator still a newbie

1 minute ago, MNissen said:

What a good idea, Middle Earth, imagine the Sauron Squadron, and Orcs flying A-10s

OK, not THAT fictional. I'm thinking more akin to Strangereal of Ace Combat fame. Realistic terrain, structures, etc, just a fictional playground created so we can have these major wars that wouldn't happen in the real world.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

Wouldn't that technically be the entire western half of Marianas?

When people asked for the all-water/ocean map they wanted one that is very light on PC resources. Marianas turned out to be the opposite of that.

• Like 8

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, Porkie said:

how bout just an ocean map. 

Nice Idea. You would get a lot scenarios covered.

- The sea off the west cost of Middle Earth

- the Arctic map after the pole ice has melted

- all for WW2 and modern time frame (ok, you need to add plastic garbage carpets for the modern one)

But what map should they do on day 2?

It would help Heatblur and TG if Norway was a part of that one imho.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

Yeah, and ocean map would be very quick to make XD

5 minutes ago, draconus said:

When people asked for the all-water/ocean map they wanted one that is very light on PC resources. Marianas turned out to be the opposite of that.

I know you're ground crew and all, but seriously, you should know better than anyone else here that bugs are to be expected when releasing anything new. There's only so much testing that can be done internally before the item has to go to the public, where more bugs will be found, and hopefully fixed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

I know you're ground crew and all, but seriously, you should know better than anyone else here that bugs are to be expected when releasing anything new. There's only so much testing that can be done internally before the item has to go to the public, where more bugs will be found, and hopefully fixed.

It's not that. Of course they will optimize the performance somewhat but being new tech demo it will stay high on the system demands.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• GIUK Gap
  • NATO Northern Flank
  • Northern Germany
  • Baltic

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 7

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Vietnam would be awesome.

Haven't seen anyone suggesting Kashmir.

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 5

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

23 hours ago, danielzambaux said:

Hi All!

My name is Dan and as part of a 3rd Party Map project for DCS, we want to hear your (the community's) opinion on a new map!

So, before I confuse some of you, let me explain who "we" are.

Astronomix  is a team of 3 'developers' looking to create an official 3rd party map for DCS, but we cant do it without some input from the community!

We want to know what maps you all would want in DCS, to help us better judge what we want to develop in the future!

Our team is still very much in its infancy - but as time goes on, we will set our sights on making an official 3rd party map for DCS, but that cannot be done without your input and opinions!

So, please leave any votes/ opinions in the comments below, and we will look at these as potential ideas for a future map!

For any questions, or to contact us directly, our discord can be found here = https://discord.gg/4KnnJCZjkP

Thanks all,

- Dan

Hi Dan,

Each of us can say what we want, which will not help a lot. 

There are two things you can do to help us help you.

If you are a 3rd party already, then you have provided ED enough proof of your team is capable of delivering the official product,  meaning you have the access to the terrain kit and DCS documentation. 

That in turn, allows you to asses the possible locations based on the available data, said capability and skills of the team. Producing a map is not a trivial task and with 3 people working on it as a day job, it will take years to do, let alone if it is done on a side like some other 3rd parties. 

Provide us with with a shortlisted candidates and then we can voice our input or even vote for a one to go for. 

I would vote for post WW2 European map provided it comes with appropriate assets for the AI (sea (if applicable), land (infantry is a must), air) for each country depicted in the map.

Luke.

• Like 7

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

33 minutes ago, dark_wood said:

Probably because it doesn't have sea - no carrier ops

And because it's a rather..... hot area to say the least. We're talking about an area wedged between two countries not afraid to nuke the F out of each other and create a nuclear winter over a bunch of hills and rocks.

29 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

I would vote for post WW2 European map provided it comes with appropriate assets for the AI (sea (if applicable), land (infantry is a must), air) for each country depicted in the map.

Honestly, *any* time period set in a solid chunk of Europe would be nice, especially given how hot things could've gotten after 1945...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

And because it's a rather..... hot area to say the least. We're talking about an area wedged between two countries not afraid to nuke the F out of each other and create a nuclear winter over a bunch of hills and rocks.

That's a moot point, this is just a sim, making a map is not a political stance. We have almost exclusively maps of contested areas, this is actually what is needed in a military sim. Cyprus has been added recently to Syria... I feel like Kashmir is a beautiful region, with gorgeous mountains for helicopter ops for example, and many modules we have fit there - including the underrated JF-17. So why not?

39 minutes ago, dark_wood said:

Probably because it doesn't have sea - no carrier ops

That's fair, Afghanistan has been suggested many times though. Don't see any sea there either. 😉

Compared to Afghanistan, Kashmir is smaller (=more feasible with current engine limitations), and more diverse with green areas, high mountains...

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

3 minutes ago, Qiou87 said:

That's a moot point, this is just a sim, making a map is not a political stance. We have almost exclusively maps of contested areas, this is actually what is needed in a military sim. Cyprus has been added recently to Syria... I feel like Kashmir is a beautiful region, with gorgeous mountains for helicopter ops for example, and many modules we have fit there - including the underrated JF-17. So why not?

It's an area I'd rather avoid if possible. That said, as for the JF-17, Pakistan isn't the only country that actually flies it, and it was also designed and built by China, so technically it's a Chinese plane? But the reason I made the original statement is due to the fact that ED has refused to touch the rest of the Black Sea area because of how hot the area is right now. Sure, 3rd Party teams can do whatever they want, but it's still ED that gets the final say.

1 hour ago, Tank50us said:

It's an area I'd rather avoid if possible. That said, as for the JF-17, Pakistan isn't the only country that actually flies it, and it was also designed and built by China, so technically it's a Chinese plane? But the reason I made the original statement is due to the fact that ED has refused to touch the rest of the Black Sea area because of how hot the area is right now. Sure, 3rd Party teams can do whatever they want, but it's still ED that gets the final say.

JF-17 was developed as joint project between China and Pakistan. It is also marginally used by Burma and Nigeria in small numbers. China does not use it, it is an export plane for them.

ED refused to touch the Black Sea area because this is a hot area for Russia. Most of ED's staff is in Russia, I respect that. Kashmir has nothing to do with Russia, and ED has nothing to do directly with Pakistan and India. I am not asking for a map with a big flag on it, or even borders drawn. This is an interesting area, full of history, real life skirmishes and a lot of potential for "what if" scenarios using existing and announced modules.

Why do we allow Cyprus in DCS since it is contested (the northern part is not recognized by anyone outside of Turkey)? Why is it fine to request a Taiwan strait map when China refuses to recognize its independance and this is clearly one of the hottest contested areas in the 21st century? What makes Kashmir a "no-go" area, but not the others I mentioned? The only valid reason would be Russia, as I explained, and it is not an excuse for Kashmir.

To be clear: I put Vietnam as my #1. But I don't understand why you are so focus against Kashmir, in all the suggestions made here. Many others suggest maps without sea (both Hornet and Tomcat know how to land on a strip, just activate the anti-skid 😉), other contested areas are present in existing and suggested maps...

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

Nice Idea. You would get a lot scenarios covered.

- The sea off the west cost of Middle Earth

- the Arctic map after the pole ice has melted

- all for WW2 and modern time frame (ok, you need to add plastic garbage carpets for the modern one)

It would help Heatblur and TG if Norway was a part of that one imho.

if it was too much for ya, just say so.

8 hours ago, Tank50us said:

Make a fictional map ...

On my case, I will purchase whatever map this team produces (I already own all current maps), EXCEPT fictional maps. They hold no more interest to me than a fictional aircraft would.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I would like to see a map of the South China Sea to include the Philippines, Taiwan, the Spratly Islands as well as other integral land masses. We might as well start learning the territory as there will be war IRL within 5-years.  

• Like 2

Baltic Sea area would make a great region to do cold war scenario's!

• Like 5

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas