Patch notes discussion thread 2022

BIGNEWY

nice...

Lost 10+ FPS even running at 60HZ and gained never before seen jitter  😐

3 hours ago, Talisman_VR said:

Very alarmed!  This open beta update today has wrecked flying for me.  :angry:  

I fly VR and have lost 10 to 20 FPS which has made this flight simulation unplayable for me.  :badmood:

Also, this update has done something strange to my Gametrix JetPad meaning that the vibration feedback has been messed up; update must have altered the telemetry data somehow.  :disgust:

In short this is a frustrating failure of an update.

And why have we got that awful new graph for on-screen FPS counter?  The old FPS counter was much better.  Why spoil something that used to work well?  :bye_3:  

Not happy with this disaster.

And yes, fxo and metashaders2 folders cleared.

Talisman 

Same. Lost at least 10 fps. Even running Reverb G2 at 60Hz

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• ED Team

Hi all, 

we do have an issue with shadows that may be affecting FPS 

If the shadows for terrain objects is set to "off" the issue occurs. It doesn't happen with either "flat" or "standard" shadows on.

Please try adjusting shadows settings to see if you notice a difference. 

We will of course patch a fix as soon as we have collected enough data for what needs to be tweaked. 

thank you

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

28 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

If the shadows for terrain objects is set to "off" the issue occurs. It doesn't happen with either "flat" or "standard" shadows on.

We will of course patch a fix as soon as we have collected enough data for what needs to be tweaked. 

thank you

Terrain Object Shadow options are Flat, Default or Off

I see no change from one to other: -10+ fps and increase in GPU frametime. 

Further testing: Only option to regain 60fps and loose the stutter is to turn off shadows and terrain object shadows... which leave the cockpit awash with light and zero life.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

I noticed that SSAO was on which I am pretty sure was off before but it could be my error. I have turned it off.

What was my error was that after a recent reinstallation I had some problems with opencomposite for a racing sim so I used the application specific method. I had forgotten to replace the openvr dll file after the update so must have been running SteamVR at below 45fps hence the stuttering and no OpenXR tools to boost frame rates. 

Replacing the file and turning on terrain shadows seems to have regained the fps in my initial test.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

@BIGNEWY Can you ask the team for an option to limit the internal FOV of the aircraft? The same was added for the external FOV in options. Thanks!

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

3 hours ago, nickos86 said:

1. The IC "This is an optional setting that  will block mods that modify files in    DCSWorld/Mods/aircraft/<MOD_ID>/Cockpits/Scripts to prevent exploits." Make no sense. Why should we manually change the CHAFF/FLARE programs every flight?! How is that cheating?! 

2. The F10 new features are AWESOME! Please continue developing the ME and the F10 map... It so important! 

Well...  just because YOU don't use something in a clearly exploitative way (although...  this would give you a very small advantage...) doesn't mean others don't.  Try to look at the big picture eh?

The bad apples ruin the whole bunch.

And then tend to complain that their cheat functions are broken.

Not saying YOU are doing that of course...  Just saying I do tend to see that. 

Maybe grab a gaming keyboard that can have macros programmed in?  That should be able to replicate any reasonable macro you were using otherwise...

😉

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Thanks ED for the improved light in PG, SPECIALLY IN THE NIGHT. NOW AIRFIELD LAMPS ILLUMINATE OUR PLANES. Before the planes were dark. Hope you expand the improvements to the other maps.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Keep informed about DCS World news at: ALLIED FLYING FORCE

CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.00 Ghz / Gigabyte Z170X Gaming Motherboard / Memory 32GB DDR4 / Graphic Card Asus GTX1080 Turbo/ S.O. Win 10 Pro 64bits /

So far 2.8  seems ok not the big change I was expecting going to version 2.8, iy feels very much like 2.7 but with moving clouds, but the quality of life improvement I really don't like is the new FPS counter, we have gone from a very inobtrusive FPS counter that was transparent in the top corner to a big box now that blocks out a portion of your vision if you keep it on, it doesn't offer anything over the old style and is a step backwards, all its doing is following a trend like fpsVR.

I wish we had a choice to use either or.

where is the viacom pro thread. Voice attack/Viacom PRO doesn't detect game install
Under DCS core features, input output.
VAICOM is completely broken now. ED changed something with the exports. I really hope they can revert it. I really wich everything they change could be in the changelogs.

Apart from this, the lighting is awesome in the PG map.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not a good patch from my side:

1. Vaicom Pro rendered unusable;

2. Raven One Dominant Fury triggers broken;

3. Night carrier launch crews are messed up (their wands float in space);

4. Issues with shadows;

5. (Ongoing issues) Promised performance improvements not materializing, bad AI, etc...

I'm losing faith. It might be time to take a break from DCS. I've been trying to work through Raven One, but the constant crashes due (we think) to the AI F14 bug rendered it unplayable. Now that bug (might) be fixed, but the mission won't progress due to trigger issues.

Maybe I'll return when (if) 3.0 arrives, but I just find myself fighting frustration every time I try to get something going in this game lately. It's too bad, I've been playing this game since... 2014?

Edit: so before people start coming aboard me for this, note I’m not throwing stones or being belligerent in any way. I do care about this software and this community, so I feel it important the devs know why they are losing a customer, and that I do hope to return one day. But the simple fact is the current state of the game has fallen below the standard I believe is reasonable considering the… $1000 or so I’ve invested in the company?

Edited by Sandman1330
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

4 hours ago, Gun Jam said:

What should I be looking for in PG lighting improvements? My main issue was the draw distance was so close that at 40k feet only cities directly under you were visible so unless you banked the plane you were always in a sea of darkness. This looks the same even at "extreme" Im getting about 15miles of visibility before lighting fades to black.

Is there any settings I should double check?

This is also with Vr 

Id like to know also how to improve the visibility in PG its draw distance is terrible, even on the max setting the pop is very annoying, power lines and transmission towers literally pop up 100 feet away when flying a helicopter low and mostly the horizon is dead flat and lifeless until about the 15km mark when high-rises start to pop into view

• Like 1

• ED Team
32 minutes ago, Sandman1330 said:

5. Promised performance improvements not materializing, bad AI, etc...

I am not sure where this is coming from, there was no promised performance improvements, what we said, and I quote the newsletter: "The Weather System includes optimization for VR" This was purely visual improvements to make effect look better with VR. Performance improvements should come with things like Multithreading. 

The AI, no idea what you mean. the BFM was improved, and most I see, see an improvement, make sure you are only testing with jets.

19 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

Id like to know also how to improve the visibility in PG its draw distance is terrible, even on the max setting the pop is very annoying, power lines and transmission towers literally pop up 100 feet away when flying a helicopter low and mostly the horizon is dead flat and lifeless until about the 15km mark when high-rises start to pop into view

You need to make a bug thread then, your request will get lost in here.

Edit: I just flew with PG and saw no issue with draw distance, and the street and airfield lights were lighting up my aircraft nicely.

• Like 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

2 minutes ago, NineLine said:

I am not sure where this is coming from, there was no promised performance improvements, what we said, and I quote the newsletter: "The Weather System includes optimization for VR" This was purely visual improvements to make effect look better with VR. Performance improvements should come with things like Multithreading. 

The AI, no idea what you mean. the BFM was improved, and most I see, see an improvement, make sure you are only testing with jets.

Sorry, I didn’t mean performance in this patch, just in general. 

The AI BFM is a nice update. But AI elsewhere is hopeless, easily seen in an even moderately complex Liberation mission. Wingmen who just randomly crash, run out of fuel, don’t do anything to support the mission.

Effectively, DCS is functional for very simple things. Go do some BFM, go do some BVR, go do an isolated bombing or CAS mission. Anything more complex and it starts to fall down on performance and poor AI. Single player campaigns are so highly scripted to work around these limitations that the triggers break with updates. And the simple stuff isn’t enough after awhile.

• Like 4

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Sandman1330 said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean performance in this patch, just in general. 

The AI BFM is a nice update. But AI elsewhere is hopeless, easily seen in an even moderately complex Liberation mission. Wingmen who just randomly crash, run out of fuel, don’t do anything to support the mission.

Effectively, DCS is functional for very simple things. Go do some BFM, go do some BVR, go do an isolated bombing or CAS mission. Anything more complex and it starts to fall down on performance and poor AI. Single player campaigns are so highly scripted to work around these limitations that the triggers break with updates. And the simple stuff isn’t enough after awhile.

You need to make proper bug reports, just saying the AI is junk is not helpful. Show me examples make good bug reports with tracks and I will have it looked at. AI takes time to do and is a complex task. We need AI to be dumb enough that its not over powering but smart enough to not do dumb stuff. Its not as easy as it might sound. In my experience a well crafted mission will have decent AI, but the AI was designed to follow orders not be self sufficient in every task. 

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

1 minute ago, NineLine said:

You need to make proper bug reports, just saying the AI is junk is not helpful. Show me examples make good bug reports with tracks and I will have it looked at. AI takes time to do and is a complex task. We need AI to be dumb enough that its not over powering but smart enough to not do dumb stuff. Its not as easy as it might sound. In my experience a well crafted mission will have decent AI, but the AI was designed to follow orders not be self sufficient in every task. 

I’ve tried submitting bug reports, with tracks and logs, but they usually go unanswered to be honest. And it’s not as if “2, ejecting” isn’t already a well known joke around these parts…

The last straw for me today has been Raven One. I’ve been trying to work through it for the last few weeks but it’s been mostly unplayable due to crashes (I’ve been very active providing bug reports and logs on the F14 AI bug issue), then just when that issue may be solved, the campaign is broken by triggers. It’s just frustrating to purchase a campaign, then wait for the next patch to actually play it, only to find that patch breaks it in a different way. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, SomethingAncient said:

Anyone know why my PC had to restart? I didn't think DCS World ran at the kernel level and, quite frankly, I'd like to know what needed this to be done.

Update required the 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable' package to be present.

If you PC didn't have it, it was installed for you hence the reboot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Under DCS core features, input output.
VAICOM is completely broken now. ED changed something with the exports. I really hope they can revert it. I really wich everything they change could be in the changelogs.

Apart from this, the lighting is awesome in the PG map.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I even revert to stable and it was broken there as well

zprwsp-6.png

11 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Thank you so much for the new magnetic declination indication in the mission editor!

EDIT: And thank you so much for the new Compass Rose in F10, the ruler from bullseye and the ft/m conversion! :thumbsup:

Am I dreaming? Just checked and we actually can switch from freedom units to actual units and back now without having to leave the mission? What a treat! cheerilee.png

I just now hope the thing will properly save which buttons I had selected and which not... that was always kinda funky in the past and it drove me nuts.

Oh, and I also noticed the new fps counter/stats displays. So much better now!

10 hours ago, Talisman_VR said:

And why have we got that awful new graph for on-screen FPS counter?  The old FPS counter was much better.  Why spoil something that used to work well?  :bye_3: 

Have you tried clicking that little arrow in the top left corner? It hides the graph and leaves the counter with a backshade so it's actually visible which the old one wasn't unless you changed the color in one of the config files...

10 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Halos are here.

received_484496466952735.jpeg

Genuinely looks like glaucoma at around 40-45ish IOP, just bigger in angular diameter and with a thinner rainbow.

Edited by Eldur
  • Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

3 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

So far 2.8  seems ok not the big change I was expecting going to version 2.8, iy feels very much like 2.7 but with moving clouds, but the quality of life improvement I really don't like is the new FPS counter, we have gone from a very inobtrusive FPS counter that was transparent in the top corner to a big box now that blocks out a portion of your vision if you keep it on, it doesn't offer anything over the old style and is a step backwards, all its doing is following a trend like fpsVR.

I wish we had a choice to use either or.

Click the arrow ▶️, it's actually smaller than the old one.

I'm loving 2.8. Thanks ED.

Edited by JSArcher
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

thank you

Thanks for the idea! Doesn't help on my end though. When i want to get anywhere near my normal FPS range i simply have to deactivate the clouds, use preset "nothing" and shadows. On my end it seems like a direct consequence of new weather - new weather locks my FPS to 32 or lower. Performance with the new night lighting e.g. over Abu Dabi is vastly improved.

8 hours ago, Sr. said:

Terrain Object Shadow options are Flat, Default or Off

I see no change from one to other: -10+ fps and increase in GPU frametime. 

Further testing: Only option to regain 60fps and loose the stutter is to turn off shadows and terrain object shadows... which leave the cockpit awash with light and zero life.

Same over here.

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H