DCS Newsletter discussion 9th September 2022 - A-1H Skyraider | Supercarrier progress | AI BFM

BIGNEWY

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

The “tumbleweed” regarding DCS WW2 content is quite noticeable. It’s been a year since the EA launch of the Mosquito.

I expected at least a WW2 announcement from ED to keep the ball rolling.

Skyraider is a single engine piston prop plane, that's as close to ww2 we'll get now.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Given the recent kerfuffle of two separate parties unofficially working on Su-22 mods, apparently not knowing about each other, I can see how risk of duplication BN mentioned above becomes a concern. Thus, the sooner someone announces something, the better I suppose, even though we'll most likely have to wait 2+ years for any of these now toys to be released.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Well, I personally prefer the flying machines ( some say they do not really fly) with the Prop on their Top than on the Nose 😉🤣😇….but there‘s no doubt the skyraider is a really iconic plane….a real warhorse!!!! Congrats to this excellent choice👍👍👍

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

14 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Complaining about Module announcements,

And Yet there's complaints that ED doesn't Communicate about items in development.

Go tell your five-year old you're making great big delicious gooey chocolate chip cookies, show him pictures of big plates of them, dozens of cookies all piled up ready to be devoured, and when he's all excited and asks when they'll be ready, answer "Maybe when you're seven or eight. No one knows."  

Yeah, see what that gets you. 🌩️

• Like 4

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Can someone explain to me, in short words the significance and usability of air boss and briefing room in Supercarrier module for a single player experience?

• Like 3

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

vor 32 Minuten schrieb Beirut:

Go tell your five-year old you're making great big delicious gooey chocolate chip cookies, show him pictures of big plates of them, dozens of cookies all piled up ready to be devoured, and when he's all excited and asks when they'll be ready, answer "Maybe when you're seven or eight. No one knows."  

While totally agree the critics of long development times, the change of DCS World by all the recent announcements is very close. Maybe not all announced new module will be released as planned today, but the quantity of announcements  in 2022 will change how progress and growth of DCS World will be perceived in future.   

Until 2021 there were only rarely new announcements and each one made, catched all the interested and expectations, like the F-14B back in time... rinse and repeat with the F-16 Viper ... rinse and repeat with Apache. 
When the new module announcements will start to drop to releases, the attention and expectations won´t be focused on one release only anymore, but divided up on to many different releases which will drop one after the other and bring more frequent continuity to the growth of DCS.

I´d say, someone at ED made a really good job acquiring all the new 3rd Parties and their projects for DCS.  

The announcements in 2022 are not a lie, just good news pointing to a change in DCS, growth and variety in the near future.

• Like 2

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

16 hours ago, NineLine said:

Wont be a "module" and multi-threading is in early testing.

We are not making normal games either, so there is that 😉 But I think @BIGNEWYsummed it up above.

Here you go. As someone else has since pointed out, it has been in early testing for a while so…….could be a while but it’s better than it not being in testing. 

• Like 1

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Beirut said:

I would hope that the DCS community at large has a much greater maturity level and understanding than a 5 year old.

I get it's just an analogy, but the premise of that statement to prove a point is flawed. Nobody here should have the maturity of a 5 year old, nor is making a complex simulation of any aircraft for a consumer level video game something that can be completed in one afternoon (obviously).

• Like 9

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

33 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

I would hope that the DCS community at large has a much greater maturity level and understanding than a 5 year old.

Says the guy who sells toys for make believe to grownups. 

Great toys by the way, I'm a big fan.  :drinks_cheers: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

He'll definitely behave up to the point I tell him not today.

• Like 5

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

19 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

wait until you are nearly 50 then you can start to worry. I wish I was 37 again, try to stay healthy and think positive thoughts, you will be fine. 

Amen to that!

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

• ED Team
7 hours ago, Mogster said:

Yes. I think it’s better to be honest and if development is at a very early stage then that should be made clear. It seems that most of the 3rd party efforts are part time projects between a few people and completion can take several years. 

There seems to have been a move towards only announcing projects that are reasonably close to release so that has raised expectations. If this policy has now changed again then the community needs to be aware to manage expectations if nothing else.

please read my earlier post 

In the past we generally waited until a 3rd party module was quite far along in development; however, this has resulted in duplicated efforts and inefficiencies. Instead, once a 3rd party module has a completed license agreement, we will now announce it to allow the 3rd party to “plant a flag” and avoid duplicated efforts. Once a 3rd party project is roughly six months away from release based on an internal evaluation, more news and updates will be made available.

Because we have several 3rd party projects in development, and the change in announcement policy, we have had a flurry of announcement activity.

All of these new projects are 3rd party efforts, and it will be up to the 3rd parties to provide project updates/status.

thanks

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Then again, you got Paramount, Hyped Top Gun for 4 Years, and look what happened there.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Skyraider. Being more than anything into piston tail draggers, especially carrier planes, that is welcome. Not quite WW2, but close enough. Love to see the ultimate technology development for this genre. Maybe that would be the last Griffin Seafire.

The exterior looked a little crude but that will improve? Developer access to two airworthy "Spads", that's promising.

Of course Skyraider has a long career. Korea, Suez, Vietnam (even Algeria says Wiki).

Edited by -0303-
  • Like 1

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

I've got to say, the announcement of the Skyraider was the best news I've seen on this forum in quite some time. Although I am not nearly as jazzed about the prospect of a possible map of Vietnam, it would definitely be a first day buy for me. The only map that I am really pinning away for is one of the Korean peninsula. With the Corsair due shortly (LOL!!) along with a straight deck Essex class carrier, the AD will fit in just perfectly........well maybe a little more perfectly if the Corsair were a -4 or -4B but hey, I can exercise my imagination a little now and then. And though I am well aware of the possibilities of missions built around that Vietnam map and the HB Forrestal along with some A-4's, A-1's, F-4's and maybe even some A-6's and A-7's, I'm not holding my breath. As a matter of fact, all those other jets (with the exception of the Scooter) will probably be released before the AD so I'm definitely packing a bottle of O2 around with me for the next year or so!! In any case, it was nice to see and I can't wait to start throwing money at somebody!!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The recent annoucements and news are great - keep them coming! DCS growth is spectacular!

What's so hard to understand that they need to be made public earlier and no ETA is possible?

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

10 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

Can someone explain to me, in short words the significance and usability of air boss and briefing room in Supercarrier module for a single player experience?

At least for me, it would be inmersion. I play in VR all the time and the inmersion of reading the mission briefing in a virtual ready room or watching AI flight ops from PriFly is a big plus. 

Edited by Jafergon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
2 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

He's got you guys, there.

Not in the least. He was using simple deflection, which hardly equates to a solid point.

People are free to express themselves however they want, within the bounds of civility; however such a rationalization of child-like behavior is quite silly.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

13 hours ago, Art-J said:

Given the recent kerfuffle of two separate parties unofficially working on Su-22 mods, apparently not knowing about each other, I can see how risk of duplication BN mentioned above becomes a concern. Thus, the sooner someone announces something, the better I suppose, even though we'll most likely have to wait 2+ years for any of these now toys to be released.

Serious question though; don't we end up in quite literally the exact same place we basically just were?

Projects are locked up and key tossed out, and when that case is handed to a developer who gives zero news.... we end up being fed information about future releases.

This system is still just as bad as it has always been..... We need to be getting news of IMPENDING RELEASES.

Meanwhile, we're sitting here with knowledge of all of these third party developers, and what they're supposedly working on, but... they're free to do as they wish when it comes to communication.

My perspective: I'm a supporter of DCS because there are expectations of what is being sold. I'm familiar with those expectations, and like knowing these things.... things other flight simulators have never and likely never will do.

It's unfair [to me] that we're informed of products that MIGHT not even release! What's the point of sharing this information?

We've got companies like Polychop who have had the Kiowa lock and key for how many years now? And what's the progress to show?

We've got companies like Miltech/Leatherneck, who have been working on the F4U Corsair FOR FIVE YEARS!!!!!!!!!

We've got companies like Heatblur who have the A6 wrapped up somewhere under covers, that's allowed to be in trailer videos, and was announced 4 years ago.

The list can keep going because we know about 20+ ongoing projects including aircraft and scenery now....

Simultaneously, none of these companies are willing to give a status update but MAYBE once a year, if it's even on topic!

It's "fun" and "exciting" to hear about these potential products to DCS. But ED.... take a step back. Seriously.

What's the point of having the same issue you did 10 years ago, talking about all these products release, and then they never come?

You should genuinely be forcing your third parties to be giving quarterly updates (that is LEGITIMATELY not asking for much), and we should be fed that.

These recent newsletters are getting out of hand. Some of these are frankly being shared far too soon... Knowing full and well that these third party developers are doing this as side jobs. They cannot be trusted to release; so why should your customers be informed about them?

The news up eventual releases is going to give a majority of your newer and younger customerbase whiplash and walk away sooner than you think when they realize that the stuff being shown off, won't be around for years to come. It's a dangerous move when showing this younger customerbase who are generally gamers, not flight sim enthusiasts, "DLC" that may or may not release. It's still equally confusing to th ose of us who have been around for a long time, imagine how people unfamiliar will react?

These newsletters have turned into clickbait...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Not in the least. He was using simple deflection, which hardly equates to a solid point.

Analogy, not deflection. A deflection was not required nor offered.

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

People are free to express themselves however they want, within the bounds of civility; however such a rationalization of child-like behavior is quite silly.

I agree that civility is its own reward.

Civility does not negate the fact, however, that you are selling toys to grownups. I think it's wonderful, they are great toys, fantastically put together, and I have spent a solid chunk of change on them and will continue to do so. But they are toys. And when you sell toys, it might be unreasonable to expect naught but "grown up" discourse and comment.  😉

That said, I look forward to the Skyraider. Two-weeks? :smoke:

• Like 1

@XCNuse Apparently you have a serious problem with news and announcements. The simple knowledge that something is in the works or even just planned makes you think it's some kind of blood oath.  But you're wrong. They don't owe us anything and there's life beside DCS, you know?

Please don't project your own feelings onto young and new players. They don't care as much as you'd think about the distant future of the game they have just started playing.

Devs already explained their point and keep reminding (to no avail) that modules and core development take years. As we all see the business is going pretty well, don't worry.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 3

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I like the news. The only third party I bought so far is Syria. 

To my eyes, no other third party delivered a product in my interest area and complete enough fo me to be happy about. 

I am waiting more for the AI stuff (ground and airborne) that ED talks about than for anything else but that does not mean I wish ED went back to not telling us what is there to come in 5 years time. It will come, meaning that ED and and all third parties believe that DCS will be relevant in those 5 years time. To me that is the best news ever. 

Edited by Gierasimov
  • Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• ED Team
10 hours ago, XCNuse said:

My perspective: I'm a supporter of DCS because there are expectations of what is being sold. I'm familiar with those expectations, and like knowing these things.... things other flight simulators have never and likely never will do.

It's unfair [to me] that we're informed of products that MIGHT not even release! What's the point of sharing this information?

XCNuse your say you are a supporter we appreciate that, but your feedback is constantly negative here on the forum and other places. We understand we can not please everyone and we are not trying to but you have given your feedback many times now. If you dont understand why we are giving the third party news early even after I have explained it here in this thread there is nothing else I can say to you that will help. 

• Like 6

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2